Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 8:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Model B talking book reproducer from 1955
PostPosted: Sep Tue 14, 2021 5:43 pm 

Over the years, I've built up a collection of old talking book players and most of the older ones are hard to find, since they were not issued to the general public and most of them were turned back in to the library (where they were likely destroyed) when updated models were introduced. However, there are still some out there that, for whatever reason, were not sent back and I know of a couple of people who, when they tried to send theirs back, the library told them just to keep it because it was obsolete and they didn't want it back.

This model from 1955 plays 33 1/3 rpm only and by 1963, it was obsolete with the switchover to 16 2/3 rpm records. This particular model was made by the Pennsylvania Association for the Blind and from what I've read, everyone (except the shop foreman) who worked on building these machines was visually impaired.

Unlike most tube talking book players, this one uses a series-string amplifier with no power transformer. For the next model, the model C, they went back to using a chassis with a power transformer because the power transformer-based amplifier was more powerful (and safer). This model still sounds decent and it certainly sounds better than the later solid state models.

Attachments:
TB machine 028.JPG
TB machine 028.JPG [ 839.96 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
TB machine 001.JPG
TB machine 001.JPG [ 684.5 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
TB machine 012.JPG
TB machine 012.JPG [ 705.82 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
TB machine 017.JPG
TB machine 017.JPG [ 831.84 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]
TB machine 022.JPG
TB machine 022.JPG [ 886.97 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]