Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 01, 2021 2:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Results of painting a stereo console player?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 8:50 pm 

I recently acquired a Zenith SFD280R and will be starting the component restore of all the electrical items here soon. I wanted to ask if anyone has painted a similar style of consol player a different color?

The console player will be stationed in my living room and all the furniture I have is all black and the console player currently stands out. So I was thinking of staining the wood a darker color or painting it black.

Post subject: Re: Results of painting a stereo console player?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 9:15 pm 

I changed the color of this console and added the grill cloth in Photoshop for someone who was curious. lol
Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 12:26 pm 

Ow! Where are my shades, my eyes hurt! :shock:

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:43 am 

porkbun2 wrote:
I recently acquired a Zenith SFD280R and will be starting the component restore of all the electrical items here soon. I wanted to ask if anyone has painted a similar style of consol player a different color?

The console player will be stationed in my living room and all the furniture I have is all black and the console player currently stands out. So I was thinking of staining the wood a darker color or painting it black.

It's yours to do what you wish to with it, and as long as you plan on keeping it, there isn't any problem. That's not a rare nor particularly valuable model. Just be aware that once you have modified anything about it from the way it was originally, whether that involves the finish, the grille cloth, or the electronics, it becomes worthless in the realm of those people who collect that sort of set.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:49 pm 

Thanks for the information! Yeah, I plan on keeping this for a long time. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done the same thing and the results of how it looked. I think it will look great in black but just wanted to check here.

The console is pretty beat up... Looks like someone had a plant on top of the satellite speaker and did not care for water damage. We will see how this goes!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 2:51 am 

I went on a service call back in the 80's to repair a console tv and everything in the room including the tv was antiqued the same off white with gold streaks going through it all! Back when do it yourself antique kits were the rage. To each his own!