Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 7:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley Dansette....junk!
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 11:05 pm 

I don't know what possessed me to buy this; but, it was on the Goodwill auction site for a cheap BIN price and cheap shipping. It was supposed to have the legs; but, they were not in the box. I messaged them about it and we'll see what happens, if anything. Even though it was cheap......if it's supposed to be included, then I expect it to be included.

This one uses an AT3600 magnetic cartridge; but, all this did was put lipstick on a pig. The plastic piece that holds the counterweight in place is busted off; but, I taped the counterweight in place and it does not sound all that great. Like so many other Crosley record players, this one has little-to-no bass.

Plugging a source into the "line in" jack provides a little better result; but, not much. This thing could have sounded better, if they used better speakers and a properly EQ'ed amplifier.

The cabinet is the best part of this thing and I may gut it, and replace the parts with a tonearm, drive mechanism, amplifier, and speaker from a trashy looking school record player.

I believe these were over $200 when new and that was way too much.

Attachments:
crosley 001.JPG
crosley 001.JPG [ 574.22 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
crosley 002.JPG
crosley 002.JPG [ 756.69 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley Dansette....junk!
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 6:17 am 

I haven't found one modern Crosley phono that had decent sound. People bring them into the shop usually for belt or needle problems..other than that, they are crap...but the 'kids' today buy them to play their 'vinyl'.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 7:15 am 

No offense radiotvnut, but you seem to be a little bit of a glutton for punishment lately. I have watched your Youtube videos for years now, and at first, you wouldn't touch those pieces of Chinese fecal matter with a ten foot pole. Now you actually buy them and fool with them. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that they are still garbage.

I have messed with similar phonos in the past, and now I won't touch anything that even resembles them. Someone would honestly have to pay me to take one off their hands.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 6:16 pm 

It kind of captures the look of the classic Dansettes of the 1960s. I guess that was the main idea.

-David

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 6:49 pm 

I EOL'ed it. What threw me over the edge was when I played with it some more and something was obstructing the platter from turning. I removed the platter and found a new "hot snot stick" stuck under the platter. I suppose someone could have shoved it under there; but, given the quality control (or, lack thereof) at the factory, I feel like it got left there from the factory. Then, I tried to put the belt back on by hooking it to the peg on the platter; but, it never would catch on the motor pulley because they didn't line everything up right to begin with. At that point, I said "enough of this", I removed the guts for future use, and reduced the cabinet to small pieces.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 4:23 am 

Well, I just watched your video on this yesterday....I guess a retrofit is out of the question now :lol: