Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 06, 2021 10:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 5pin Din adapter to RCA cable?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2012 8:13 pm 

Hello, I have a NordMende with a Din 5pin Female for the phono---I would like to hookup an ipod to this slot or even a regular turntable. Is there an adapter for this ----- would need a 5pin Male to a 1/8 audio female? I've attached a photo of the radio's phono hookup.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: 5pin Din adapter to RCA cable?
PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2012 9:34 pm 

I made an ipod adapter, by cutting the jack and wire off a set of earphones/headphones and then constructed a DIN connector out of nail brads and a piece of junk plastic. I made prongs out of the brads by filing them and rounding the end so they would fit in the DIN receptacle. I cut the plastic into a 1/2" diameter circle and drilled holes into it for the prongs. You can make a pattern for the holes by holding a piece of paper against the DIN receptacle and run a pencil lightly across it. Then I superglued the prongs in the holes of the piece of plastic. Then strip the end of the wire from the earphones and solder the leads to the prongs. I used the schematic to figure out which wires went to which prongs. I also made a cover for it out of the plastic tip from a tube of RTV silicone. You have to remember to slip it on the wire before you solder it together.

If you don't want to go through all that tedium, you can just order a male DIN connector from mouser and solder it to the wire and your done. ( I'm a cheapskate, so I made my own. )

Good luck

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2012 11:29 pm 

I dont know of any sold like this so i make my own.
My telefunkens have 5PIN but all are not used. my blaupunkt and graetz are 3PIN so i break off the two pins not needed. use a stereo jack (male) on the other end. it will then plug into an ipod, cd player, phone with slacker or pandora, etc.
i just buy one 5PIN and one stereo 1/8", cut them in half and make two cords.
By flyingturns

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2012 11:44 pm 

Metzman and Flyingturns,
Thank you both. I will try Flyingturns first, as it seems the easiest.
Mike

PostPosted: Aug Sat 14, 2021 1:11 pm 

I realize that this is a ten-year-Old thread, but I have the same issue: a houseful of Euro radios and no obvious way to play outside programming through them. So I was wondering, Mike, whether you ever tried Flyingturns’ idea, and how it worked out for you? Thanks!

Jim

PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 2:48 am 

5 pin din to rca
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... a&_sacat=0

5 pin din to 3.5mm
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... m&_sacat=0

A 3.5mm jack is roughly 1/8" & 6.35mm equals a 1/4" jack.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 25, 2021 2:48 am 

Amazon also has various DIN to RCA or 3.5mm adapters. Most of those old 1950’s era German radios have both phono and tape inputs. The tape inputs are line level and the best choice to hook up an external source like an iPod or CD player.

The phono inputs are usually for ceramic cartridges, so may not perform as well with a digital audio source. When using a phono with a magnetic cartridge, an external pre-amp may be needed between the turntable and phono inputs of the radio.

I have an RCA 9-INT-1 made in Germany by Graetz that I feed the audio signals from a turntable, CD player, FM tuner, and iPod into the tape inputs. All the components are connected to a four input audio source switch, which then feed into a pre-amp to the radio’s tape inputs, including the turntable. Audio quality is very good.

I use an external FM tuner because I only get half the FM band on the RCA, an issue the subject of a thread here a couple years ago. Anyway, the point is that if your radio has tape inputs you can get great audio from most external devices. It may take some experimenting, and a pre-amp to get good sound if your radio only has a phono input.

Attachment:
611EF3F9-B9B5-4074-91BD-D27AB4DF0144.jpeg
611EF3F9-B9B5-4074-91BD-D27AB4DF0144.jpeg [ 643.61 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:11 pm 

Ed, sorry for the long delay before responding; that sounds like the best solution for my circumstances. I have already used my new resistor-equipped 3.5mm-to-RCA cables to play pandora and Sirius over my TransOceanic A600 and others. I also built a "Phil's Old Radios" iPod Adapter for vintage radios, initially described here on ARF. I greatly admire your set up - that's what I am hoping to arrive at. I am intrigued by your source- switch/preamp/fm tuner arrangement. I have a similar Graetz-built RCA, two actually; not same model 9-INT-1, mine are both 67 QR 73s but close enough (as well as several other Euros -- Philips Jupiter, Telefunken Barcelona, Telefunken Jubilate, Grundig 4006 and 5088). If you don't mind sharing, what are the switch, tuner and (especially) pre-amp make and model that you use? I'd keep my eye out for something similar, or at least comparable.

Thanks again for your interesting post. Best,
Jim

PS -- apparently we also share another addiction: I noticed your vintage cameras; sadly, that is my OTHER "habit." Again, mostly Euros, east and west.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:04 am 

I bought a vintage Realistic TM-150 FM tuner, which is well regarded, but hard to find. I got mine on EBay. However, it needs the signal boosted, so I bought a Dynasty Proaudio UA20 pre-amp (Amazon) and a Solupeak ST-42 4-way RCA audio switcher (also Amazon). I feed the audio signals from the FM tuner, CD player, iPod, and turntable all into the audio switcher. The output from the switcher goes to the pre-amp, and the pre-amp signal is fed into the tape inputs of the radio. My turntable is a Dual 701 with a Shure V15 III cartridge and stylus. It sounds great through the tape inputs via the pre-amp.

The pre-amp has line and phono selection, gain and monitor level controls, so it's a cut above the basic pre-amps. It's also one of the few with an on/off switch. When feeding audio from the turntable, it's important to switch to the phono mode on the pre-amp. You don't see the Solupeak RCA 4-way switcher as it is attached to the right side of the cabinet below the radio with Velcro.

My set-up should work fine with any of the German table radios. For pre-stereo radios,like the RCA 9-INT-1, just use a Y-connector between the pre-amp and radio tape inputs.

Good luck!! Let us know how it all works out for you.

Last edited by Ed Morris on Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:42 am 

Thanks Ed; just what I was looking for. I will certainly keep you posted.

Jim