Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 25, 2022 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: adding bluetooth to a plain jane record players
PostPosted: Nov Mon 15, 2021 7:29 am 

If this has been discussed in great length in another thread then delete this and send me to it! =D
Okay so when it comes to old radios, especially the am only ones many (including myself) are adding bluetooth capabilities to them to increase their usefulness as well as value (especially when it comes to otherwise common worthless models) and many also do it to radio/record player combo units as well...... but that still leaves us with just regular vintage record players (with no integrated radio) that mostly all languish in storage or get tossed eventually..... :(
so i've been thinking for awhile now about adding bluetooth to such units so that they can be used and listened too, weather or not they are spinning records! so i guess what i'm asking is how one would go about doing that? as when it comes to radios, especially ones without power transformers you just add a small isolation transformer and a few other bits along with a switch to cut the radio signal off to the volume pot. but since theres no incoming radio signal to deal with on a record player you shouldn't need an isolation transformer and all you should really need is just a switch to cut off the record player motor/mechanism..... so i guess what i'm asking is what would/should be the best way to do that in most situations regardless of which player you're working on???

Post subject: Re: adding bluetooth to a plain jane record players
PostPosted: Nov Sat 20, 2021 11:46 am 

It's always best to mention the radio or changer that you are working on, unless this is just a hypothetical question. lol

You need to find where the audio that comes from the tonearm connects, and install a toggle or rocker switch to change/switch it out/over to your Bluetooth receiver.

USB receivers are everywhere.
If you can pick-up 12/24V DC, you can power it with a DC-DC step-down converter like the one shown below.
~four bucks, shipped from China.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253062734568

Attachments:
Bluetooth audio receiver.jpg
Bluetooth audio receiver.jpg [ 117.85 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
24V_12V to 5V 5A.jpg
24V_12V to 5V 5A.jpg [ 371.28 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sun 21, 2021 3:54 am 

On many low end record players, the motor is part of the amplifier heater circuit so you can't disconnect the motor unless you replace it with a high power resistor. These units also have low gain so you may need some additional amplification.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2021 11:57 am 

hmmm i suppose if thats the case with the motor in some/most players, then one could always just leave the motor running with an empty platter and or upright tone arm.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2021 10:46 pm 

Even a small, inexpensive Bluetooth speaker will sound much better than a low-end phonograph.

-David