Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 13, 2022 8:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FIXED Magnavox W620-11 Now won’t shut off.
PostPosted: Jun Mon 20, 2022 9:06 pm 

I’m using the service manual for the W602 which is fairly close. I’ve had this apart at least 8 times now. The big gear was binding up. I got it apart and was able to clean and lube the center post. Everything else seemed to be fine. Parts move smoothly. I had some trouble aligning the parts that controls the tone arm and I think I’m pretty close. What I have now is the tone arm lifts, moves in and taps the record. Backs up a bit and drops the record. The tone arm doesn’t come all the way in to land on the starter groves, but allows me to start playing. It plays the record at the right speed. At the end. Tone arm rises and comes back above the set down point. Moves back in a little (Checking for another record I assume) then back to the right and instead of setting down and turning off. It swings back in and sets down about 2/3’s the way in. Like where a 45 would start. I have a hanger to work on turn tables, but this one sets pretty level on the work bench with out touching any moving parts. I can’t find anything binding. The cycling is very smooth and I’m at a loss. I followed the manual ( which is pretty close) with each step and can’t finger out what I did or am doing wrong.

Any Ideas?
Freeman

Post subject: Re: FIXED Magnavox W620-11 Now won’t shut off.
PostPosted: Jun Thu 23, 2022 9:19 pm 

I found my problem.
Moderator-- You can close this.

Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Thu 23, 2022 10:49 pm 

Please post what the problem turned out to be so people can learn from your experience.

-David

PostPosted: Jun Fri 24, 2022 2:43 pm 

My problem was mostly figuring out the service manual and how each part is supposed to work and what each sentence means. The end result was a fiber washer (Looks like old fashion flat cork.) had broken in half and had fallen out of the Tone Arm Clutch Assy. I slide it back in, but one piece kept falling out. I adjusted the clamp screw to hold just one piece which through off the angle (Blue) of these two parts. I finally realized if not perpendicular then the top pin wasn’t going into the main gear outside groove at the end of the cycle. Somehow I got them both straight with enough pressure to hold that washer piece in place. Now it cycles through each record and sets back in the rest post at the end. For over a week now I would say it’s going back in a box tomorrow and the next day I was back to the service manual trying something else. Working on these players takes a lot of hands on experience because the important moving parts are hidden by this and that assembly.
Attachment:
Tone Arm Clutch.jpg
Tone Arm Clutch.jpg [ 56.32 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]

Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Fri 24, 2022 4:02 pm 

Your perseverance paid off !

I agree, hands on and observation
with patience is sometimes the only solution.

This problem is one I would have never seen,
with the missing washer being the culprit.

We appreciate your posting the fix !

Hotwax