Connecting a 90s turntable to a 1958 stereo console

Discussions of phonographs, records, jukeboxes and related topics. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Alan Voorhees

Airwavesantiques
Jan Thu 03, 2019 2:17 am
New Bern, NC 28562

Connecting a 90s turntable to a 1958 stereo console

Post by Airwavesantiques »

I am trying to upgrade my vintage stereo with a modern turntable. Will I need to impedance match the table to the tube amp of the stereo? If I need a preamp , can I get one that is made for tube amps?
lorenz200w
Jan Mon 16, 2012 3:15 pm
Brandon, Iowa USA

Re: Connecting a 90s turntable to a 1958 stereo console

Post by lorenz200w »

It's entirely dependent on whether the new turntable is fitted with a ceramic or a magnetic pickup.

If it has a ceramic pickup, it will probably work satisfactorily with no changes needed. Plug and play (assuming that your 90s pickup is still good, which it may or may not be).

If it has a magnetic pickup, you can either retrofit it with a ceramic cart, or purchase an inexpensive solid-state stereo preamp to boost the magnetic cart output signal voltage up to a level that the tube amp can usefully process.

Here's one solution: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263779173315?e ... R-q91sGAYw" -="window.open(this.href);return false;

Impedance matching here is basically pointless since you have a fairly low-impedance signal source (the pickup) feeding a fairly high-impedance input. So, the loading effect will be minimal.
Airwavesantiques
New Bern, NC 28562

Thanks for the quick reply. I will order a preamp. The cartridge is still good but magnetic. Thanks again.
KX5JSC
Dec Sat 28, 2019 3:18 pm
Corinth, TX, USA

Post by KX5JSC »

Yep, you need a preamp for your cartridge for two reasons:
1. A ceramic cartridge has a relatively high, flat output, on the order of a volt or so.
2. A magnetic cartridge produces an output of millivolts. It also requires something called RIAA equalization.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization" -="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
Airwavesantiques
New Bern, NC 28562

Thanks Jon. I ordered a preamp

You must be register and login to post a reply.