Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sandwick-Bowen talking book record player from 1947
PostPosted: Aug Thu 15, 2019 6:26 am 

Here's something you don't see often....a 33 1/3 rpm talking book record player for the blind from 1947, made by Sandwick-Bowen. From what I'm finding out, these were made available for purchase by eligible users of the Library of Congress talking book program and the Library of Congress also bought them to be loaned out to patrons. Even though it runs at 33 1/3, it is not compatible with microgroove records (the tonearm tracks as several ounces and I think this is supposed to use a 1.8 mil. needle). I overhauled the amp, cleaned/lubricated the mechanism, and it plays pretty good; but, the cartridge is weak and needs to be rebuilt. By 1953, they had switched to microgroove 33 1/3 rpm records and that made these older machines obsolete. Years ago, I had one of these that was heavily modified. The original motor was replaced with a two-speed (16 and 33) motor and the tonearm had a counterwieght added and an Astatic power-point cartridge installed. Since this is more for historical purposes, it's not something that I'll use every day and, for now, I'll probably leave it as it is (the talking book player that I use the most is one of the '60's grey wooden-cased tube models that plays 8, 16, and 33). Later, there were plastic-cased solid state talking book record players and then 4-track cassette players superseded those. Now, everything is digital.

Post subject: Re: Sandwick-Bowen talking book record player from 1947
PostPosted: Aug Thu 15, 2019 12:27 pm 

Nice find. That Sandwick-Bowen has an attractive case for a talking book phono. I’d bet the amplifier and Rola speaker put out a good bit of sound.