Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith G2340R console tv (porthole)
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 3:03 am 

Hi all,
I have the opportunity to buy one of these tv's for $80 from a local seller.From a small photo and the seller's description,it seems to be in pretty respectable shape,although the two large knobs MAY be missing(crappy photo).He says the chassis is very clean and it has always been kept in the house.

From what I have gathered from this forum,the worst case scenario for one of these is a dead picture tube.Does anyone know what picture tube this tv uses and how hard would it be to get a replacement or a sub?

I've never even considered buying/restoring an antique television,but I really like the looks of this set.

I am also not really sure if I am up to the task of troubleshooting/repairing one of these.Has anyone here ever worked on this particular model.Thanks much,Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 12:31 pm 

Ohhh, that is a beautiful set. Thats a lot of eye candy:-)

Is it like this one?

If it were in good shape, I think I'd take a chance on it for $80. Probably a lot of us would grab it up too:-)

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 6:32 pm 

Hi Carl,
Yes,that is the set, and it looks pretty near that good .I haven't contacted the owner as I haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to try and tackle a tv.Seems to me ,it would be a waste of money though if the picture tube is shot.

I wish I had the picture tube adapter for my Eico 667 or my Precision 912,I would test the tube before making a counter offer.I also would love to see the Sam's photofact on this set to get an idea of what the underneath of the chassis looks like.Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 7:35 pm 

Mike, if I were you I would scarf up that TV if you find it in great shape and it appears complete. I'm relatively new to TV restoration as I purchased my first TV to restore last fall. So far I have purchased two TV's by a leap of faith without checking the CRT. Both my Zenith porthole 16" CRT and my Motorola 7" CRT turned out to be in great condition.

It appears your TV uses a 12" picture tube. Not sure how easy it is to find the picture tube for your TV. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members can advise.

Some of these Zenith porthole TV's utilize 2 chassis's -- main and a power supply chassis. Mine has 2 chassis. Make sure yours has the power supply chassis if it requires one. You can discern this by looking at the tube layout label on the inside of the TV.

Right now on Ebay there is a porthole TV that is missing its power supply chassis -- check out the label for this one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1950s-Zenit ... 335f494268
This one might not be a good buy because it is priced high, missing knobs, missing the backcover, and missing the power supply chassis.

To locate the appropriate schematic, you need to obtain the "chassis number" - its on the label inside the cabinet. For example, my Zenith TV is model G2438R but the chassis is 24G26. Your G2340R number is the model number for the complete TV. You need the chassis number off the label to locate the schematic. Like Alan, the moderator here, helped me as I was learning, reference your TV by the chassis number so that folks can reference the schematic.

Hey, how many opportunities will you have to obtain such a desirable TV -- I'd jump at it. Just make sure it is in good shape but most importantly make sure it is complete. You might want to see how rough my Zenith porthole was when I started and how great it turned out. My chassis's were heavily rusted and though the cabinet was sound it had some rough spots -- but it was complete with both chassis's, the back, and all the knobs.

Here is the saga and pictures of the restoration I did on my Zenith porthole:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120516&sid=07a732420812efd11f7e49d8d9500494

Here she is now:

And a video playing the 1950's Loretta Young show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lihm3aRpjFg

My first TV restoration.

I advise you go look at it -- these TV's are hard to find.

Carl

Last edited by cwmoser on Jul Sat 24, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 8:16 pm 

Yup. I've got one. a G2350, operational, and fully restored cosmetically.

Pretty Set. Performs pretty good. Audio tends to buzz when lettering appears on the screen, etc.

Good Luck;

LJB 8)

Last edited by M3-SRT8 on Jul Wed 28, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 10:22 pm 

Take a flashlight and look closely at the Flyback, they are often fried in these sets and are difficult to find.

Lots of melted wax underneath the FLY is a bad sign.

I'd still probably go for it at that price and worry about the details later.

The price on the eBay set is too high considering all that's missing on it and the tube is an unknown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2010 12:42 am 

Hi Mike,

If you decide to grab it I have the service manual for it scanned. Send me an email and I'll get a copy to you.

If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Mon 26, 2010 12:07 pm 

Did you check out that TV this weekend?

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2010 1:19 am 

Nope,I didn't get to take a look at the Zenith.I can't seem to raise anyone by phone.This is odd in that the tv is at an inn,which claims to be open year-round.I sent an e-mail a few minutes ago-maybe they will answer that.

Sean,thanks for your efforts.Would you mind telling me the number of the picture tube?I may have the necessary parts to throw together an adapter cable so I can test the picture tube before I say yeah or nay.If the tube is dead,I really don't want it.If I have to make a decision without knowing the condition of the tube,I'm going to offer a lot less than $80 for it.I work for a living and I can't afford to throw $80 away on a toy that may only wind up taking up space.If the picture tube is dead,I probably won't be able to pass it on,either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2010 4:44 am 

That set will either have a 12UP4 (metal) or 12LP4 (glass) CRT in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2010 4:49 am 

Note that 12UP4's are metal, seem to have been only used in Zenith sets and usually difficult to impossible to find, while 12LP4's are more common since they were used in a lot of other brands.

Some of the Zenith chassis are cut from the factory so that with some hardware changes, a 12LP4 will drop right in to replace a 12UP4, which has a different physical shape. On those which are not cut, it is possible to do the cuts and make the sub, but it is NOT fun. Been there and done that.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jul Wed 28, 2010 2:34 pm 

Well,
The owner of the tv set finally returned my e-mail this morning- very short,and to the point -"Sorry,it's been sold".

At least it didn't go to the dump,and I still have my $80.Thanks,guys.

Post subject: Re: Zenith G2340R console tv (porthole)
PostPosted: Jul Mon 26, 2021 10:37 pm 

My father bought this model (12") in 1950 when WOI-TV in Ames Iowa went on air in 1950. He paid $520 which was a lot of money in 1950. My grandmother then bought a 16" model.

They were both purchased at Reedholm Hardware in Boone Iowa.

Post subject: Re: Zenith G2340R console tv (porthole)
PostPosted: Jul Tue 27, 2021 2:36 am 

I have knobs and new flybacks for those.