Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coffee filters
PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 7:07 am 

I use coffee filters as paper towels. They don't fall apart when using alcohol or other cleaners, they are rough enough to scrub things, they fit well in your hand, they don't leave a lot of lint behind, and I can get 200 of them for a buck at the dollar store. Oh yeah, I use them to make coffee, too. You'll find a lot of uses for them.

Post subject: Re: Coffee filters
PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 7:22 am 

Do you find them useful in the smallest room too?
:mrgreen: Ouch... lol

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 8:45 am 

No, but if the need should ever arise, well...

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 9:10 am 

Coffee filter paper is also allegedly good material for patching torn speaker cones with...

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 4:12 pm 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I patched a couple of small tears in a speaker in my Motorola 65T21 radio. Just water down some white glue, apply a little, very carefully to the area on the speaker and soak the patch in the water downed glue, shake off the excess and apply, again, very carefuly. It works really well.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 5:11 pm 

Pbpix wrote:

This is why you save all the napkins they throw in the bag from burger barn or wherever, for emergency purposes.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 25, 2016 9:48 pm 

db gain wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

This is why you save all the napkins they throw in the bag from burger barn or wherever, for emergency purposes.

That is if you remembed to leave a stack right there.... otherwise... :mrgreen:

In 1946 I can remember visiting my Hungarian g'parents who lived on a small farm with an outhouse. There was a stack of dried corncobs in there for that purpose.... later on there was a Sears catalog too.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2016 5:24 am 

I grew up with them and still have the calluses to prove it so. don't turn up your nose at the old venerable corncob,
FE

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2016 5:51 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Did you ever see the rough tan color toilet paper in the former USSR and countries it occupied? It would seem to have uses in refinishing work.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2016 8:44 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Did you ever see the rough tan color toilet paper in the former USSR and countries it occupied? It would seem to have uses in refinishing work.

In fact I did!
I went to Prague in the mid 90s when they were only 6 years out of Communism. I was invited by one of the girls who modeled for me here. She was born in Czech and was spending some time back there at school and visiting family. So we rented an apt in the Center of Prague for 10 days for only $30 / day!
It was a building built during Communism and everything about it was rather institutional-looking, including the grey/tan toilet paper. But it was the same all over the country.
My first intro to it was at the airport when I went into the men's room.
Another culture shock. The urinals were in an area to the left and the toilet-cabins were to the right. A woman stood there in the men's room at the mid point to collect money. 2- Korunas to use the urinals... and 3 korunas to use the toilets...
I paid the 3 korunas and then she handed me a few sheets of toilet paper (none in the stalls).
What a shock.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2016 9:01 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
In 1946 I can remember visiting my Hungarian g'parents who lived on a small farm with an outhouse. There was a stack of dried corncobs in there for that purpose.... later on there was a Sears catalog too.

We had an outhouse, when I was a kid. There was always a copy of the local paper in there and it wasn't for reading...

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2016 9:04 pm 

clueless wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

We had an outhouse, when I was a kid. There was always a copy of the local paper in there and it wasn't for reading...

... and probably more valuable that way.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 1:17 am 

Peter, the women collecting change were outside the restrooms in Lithuania, but they would also give just a few sheets of the rough paper. I guess people were supposed to have their own supplies. We first visited Prague May 19 -26 of 1996. The American Chamber of Commerce people we visited assumed we would see the place and decide to stay.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 3:28 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Peter, the women collecting change were outside the restrooms in Lithuania, but they would also give just a few sheets of the rough paper. I guess people were supposed to have their own supplies. We first visited Prague May 19 -26 of 1996. The American Chamber of Commerce people we visited assumed we would see the place and decide to stay.

That's around the same time I was there ... I think. Can't remember for sure now.

Yeah women inside almost every men's room.

There was a big club/bar we used to go to (open till 3 or 5 am)
They had a guy in the mens room charging 5 cents everytime you had to pee... lol
So I told him that was a silly idea. Why not just raise the beer prices 5 cents and they'd make the same money!
He said they do it because it's been done for a long time and their German tourists already expect it.

But I said ...in American they would laugh because it's such poor taste. Shameful.
In fact I told him that all night long at 5 cents per pee... it would take 200 guys peeing for him to even make a lousy ten bucks.
I said it's acting too cheap.

So he was kinda ashamed of having to even do it after that.
So I handed him ten bucks and told him I was paying for everyone's pee-fee all night.. and he can just leave or go have a good time.
He didn't know how to handle it.. he was so shocked.. lol
A lousy ten bucks... jeeze.

Last edited by Pbpix on Jun Tue 28, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 4:23 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

That's around the same time I was there ... I think. Can't remember for sure now.

Yeah women inside almost every men's room.

There was a big club/bar we used to go to (open till 3 or 5 am)
They had a guy in the mens room charging 5 cents everytime you had to pee... lol
So I told him that was a silly idea. Why not just raise the beer prices 5 cents and they'd make the same money!
He said they do it because it's been done for a long time and their German tourists already expect it.

But I said ...in American they would laugh because it's such poor taste. Shameful.
In fact I told him that all night long at 5 cents per pee... it would take 200 guys peeing for him to even make a lousy ten bucks.
I said it's acting too cheap.

So he was kinda ashamed of having to even do it after that.
So I handed him ten bucks and told him I was paying for everyone's pee-fee all night.. and he can just leave or go have a good time.
He didn't know how to handle it.. we was so shocked.. lol
A lousy ten bucks... jeeze.

Part of the issue is the Soviet era. In Soviet times people stole the tp if it was present, as well as light bulbs and pretty much anything else. So I can see having someone in the loo watching over the tp stockpile.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 3:56 am 

Rima and I discussed this. The only way people in her country could get toilet paper way to bring old paper in for recycling.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 4:35 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Rima and I discussed this. The only way people in her country could get toilet paper way to bring old paper in for recycling.

Yikes!

Simple things are most important.. right?

Although... personally I haven't used the stuff for 11 years now.

A friend introduced me to a simple, easy to attach, bidet attachment to the underside of a standard toilet seat. Has a lever on the side that turns on a gentle stream of water aimed up at your butt.
Connects to the tank's water supply with a tee.

Only $40.

Gently squirts you exactly in the right spot leaving you completely washed clean. Inside and out.

I love it.

Here's one similar:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... AjK58P8HAQ

Here's a nice one with lever action instead of rotating knob water control:
Only $11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-bidet-shattaf ... SwyQtV4frP

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 3:53 pm 

I've visited Lithuania during the Brezhnev era. I experienced the lack of toilet paper. I learned to crumple up newspaper for that purpose. If you spend some time, you can crumple it up until it's reasonably soft.

The students there used the communist newspaper Pravda, which means "Truth." The students called it "truth up the [censored]."

PostPosted: Jul Tue 05, 2016 2:22 am 

Well this discussion has really gone into the dumper.