Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 22, 2019 6:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dualette by Sylvania
PostPosted: Jun Mon 27, 2016 10:17 pm 

I salvaged this t.v. while on a dump run. It doesn't have a power cord but looked antique and futuristic and matches the decor in the living room. I brought it home and cleaned it up. It makes me happy to look at it.
I noticed there are not many photos of it on the internet so I thought someone here might appreciate it... I don't recommend using rubbing alcohol as a cleaning solvent because it was starting to leach some of the pigment from the turquoise and teal.
I tried to include photos here but the file size is too large. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Dualette by Sylvania
PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 4:05 am 

Yes I know what you have. There was also the Sylvania Halolight .. This had a wide white plastic framing the crt. You could adjust the brightness for day time or night .. An interesting gimmic

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 5:39 pm 

I've got a couple of Sylouette halolights but neither adjusts for day or night. The halolight is either on or off. It was supposed to make it easier on the eyes, but like most fifties gimmicks, didn't do much except look cool.

The Dualette is a very interesting set and quite rare also. Too bad you can't post photos. I think the idea was that it could fit on a matching stand and it was a console, or be off the stand and be a table set. The stands seem to be rarer than the sets themselves from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2016 5:55 pm 

Here's the ETF museum's Dualette, in case anyone's curious what they look like:

http://earlytelevision.org/sylvania_dualette.html

Very cool looking TV, well worth preserving.

Phil Nelson

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 2:43 am 

The "Dualette" is a very desirable vintage TV. It's in league with the other space-age TV's like the Philco "Predicta's", Sylvania "Halolights", and the GE "Forecaster".
I had a turquoise and white "Dualette" for one day and traded it. An extremely cool looking set, but it has a very cheap and flimsy feel to it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 5:49 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
An extremely cool looking set, but it has a very cheap and flimsy feel to it.
Just as in the radio world (think Catalin), a flashy exterior sometimes contains ho-hum internals :)

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 2:55 pm 

philsoldradios wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
An extremely cool looking set, but it has a very cheap and flimsy feel to it.
Just as in the radio world (think Catalin), a flashy exterior sometimes contains ho-hum internals :)

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

True, but at least the catalins have a solid feel to them. The Sylvania uses thin modern plastics and the controls have a cheap loose feel to them. Not a set you want to ship unless expertly packed. I must add that I was told that are surprisingly good performers once restored.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 08, 2016 1:31 am 

Back in the day I serviced the TV's in 7 large motels located on U.S. 301 which was the "I95" of the day. Typically a motel would have all rooms equipped with the same TV's because they purchased them simultaneously. One Howard Johnsons Motor Lodge had 44 of those illustrious Sylvanias all in a beige/buff cabinet color mounted on a swivel wall stand. Believe me they were NOT good performers but really helped my grocery bill back then.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2016 1:02 am 

I took it to a repair shop in Schenectady where I was told to turn around with it and put it back in the car. The repair service stopped working on tube sets about three years ago after the state of New York passed legislation classifying old sets as being environmentally hazardous. I am not sure what to do now...

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2016 4:08 am 

You could contact radio/TV collector clubs in your area and ask for a repairman recommendation. Here's a list of clubs in the USA:

http://antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2016 7:32 pm 

captainharper wrote:
I took it to a repair shop in Schenectady where I was told to turn around with it and put it back in the car. The repair service stopped working on tube sets about three years ago after the state of New York passed legislation classifying old sets as being environmentally hazardous. I am not sure what to do now...

I cringe when I think of years ago when I went to typical TV/radio repair shops to get old sets repaired. They would rake you over the coals. One only replaced all the tubes in a Predicta that I had, charged me a fortune for them, and told me that it still isn't working and there's nothing more they can do!
You have to deal strictly with collectors who are experienced with repairing vintage equipment. It can take some time to find one. Sometimes people ship them someone.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2016 1:51 am 

I also found a Dualette! I put it on eBay but am now wondering if there is an antique TV list where people would be more interested. Any advice? It is unrestored but turns on. Thanks for any thoughts.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:27 am 

cathynyc wrote:
I also found a Dualette! I put it on eBay but am now wondering if there is an antique TV list where people would be more interested. Any advice? It is unrestored but turns on. Thanks for any thoughts.

If you did list it I hope that it was "pick up only" otherwise the future owner might have ended up with a box of broken polystyrene, and you having to refund his money.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:30 am 

captainharper wrote:

Why would an old TV, tube or otherwise, be any more environmentally hazardous then a newer one? Would it not be better repairing an old TV then using brand new materials, and energy, in China, to manufacture a new one? It sounds like more like a "Go away and don't bother us because we don't know how to work on it" excuse.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:29 pm 

Shango's latest video is of a Dualette with the case crumbling apart. He seems completely flummoxed by the name and design ("It doesn't even have two speakers!") and I think he really doesn't understand what it is or why it's called that. Or it could all be an act, not sure.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:00 pm 

These sets are fairly easy to recap if you have done tube sets with printed circuit boards before.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:58 pm 

Captainharper, I'm pretty sure that you could find someone in your area to do the work, but the standard repair shops don't work on vintage equipment. Another forum, VideoKarma, was founded
by someone in your part of the country. Try the classifieds on this forum and on VideoKarma.
If nothing else someone might take it off your hands.

Cathynyc, the classifieds on this form and on VideoKarma would be a good idea for you also.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:15 pm 

The Dualette is a surprisingly cheesy set when you see one in person, but it's space age looks totally make up for it. I heard they're pretty decent players too once restored. I believe they actually do have dual speakers. Those sets are always desirable working or not. Half decent one's rarely turn up these days, especially the desirable turquoise or pink models.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:43 pm 

The name "dualette" refers to the dual function as a portable and a table model TV. And yes, it did have two speakers according to the advertising, but some runs apparently had only one.

From the ETF site:

Last edited by wiscojim on Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:48 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
Captainharper, I'm pretty sure that ...

Cathynyc, the classifieds on this...

Neither has been here since 2016.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next