Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 25, 2019 3:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendations for Sourcing an IC?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 1:13 am 

I have a mid 70s Fisher stereo receiver here with a dead output. The output IC is an SS1001, which I am told is equivalent to and STK 086. Digikey, Mouser and Newark don't appear to have either of these in stock. Looking on ebay, I see plenty of either type, but they are all coming from China, so I am a bit wary of counterfeit parts. Does anyone have a recommendation for a vendor where I can find either of these chips?

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Sourcing an IC?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 1:36 am 

There is no guarantee that the part may be Asian. The best one can do is to have accurate images of the corporate logo on hand for an accurate comparison. Likely one would not be able to get the vendor to take a new image of the part. Another assurance is if the part is traceable with ISO standards. Then again that may not apply to a vintage part... If for a customer, do not extend the warranty past 10 days. I see the part for $10 on eBay... Also, : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PIECE-SANYO-S ... 0487192316 Seller has over 100k feedback 99% positive feedback, if "he", Great Deals were selling junk certainly would not be 98%...

Apparently the NTE version is obsolete as well as the Sanyo...

The eBay Sanyo may be iffy cost wise as there may be an import fee that is undetermined. Here is an alternative in NTE or most likely counterfeit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PIECE-SANYO-S ... 0487192316 $12.00 post paid, located in Ithaca NY...

GL

Chas

Last edited by Chas on Feb Wed 01, 2017 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 1:42 am 

I would post a Want to buy request in the Radio Classified forum. one of our members may have an IC to spare.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 1:59 am 

Both number cross to an NTE1337. Which you may be able to find a bit easier.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 3:00 am 

Thanks for all the help! The NTE # led me to a nice simplified pinout on the datasheet, which was nice.

This is NOT work for a customer, but for a friend who just wants to have their garage receiver playing again. I did tell them when I originally opened it up that if an IC needed replaced that it would be tough to source, and that there are quite a few counterfeits on the market.

Chas, I guess I'll try that ebay vendor. I ordered two. We'll see what happens in a month or so-whenever they get here...

Thanks again for everyone's help!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 3:18 am 

leadlike wrote:
...Chas, I guess I'll try that ebay vendor. I ordered two. We'll see what happens in a month or so-whenever they get here...
Thanks again for everyone's help!
I do hope you use the New York vendor, he was only $2.00 more than the China. It is the risk of import duty that would scare me. I have ordered a lot of goods ebay via eBay China and never got a duty, stuff like computer memory and specialty cables. Some of that ECU auto computer reading devices... I think I was lucky?

70 watt chip ye-haw some garage radio. Better check his speakers for roasted voice coils, blown surrounds, small gage speaker wire, thats what takes out the chips...

Good Luck!

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2017 1:57 am 

Well it only took about ten days to get here from China. These are CLEARLY not original ICs! The original silkscreening has been scraped off (I can make out that it was an STK#, ending in a -5), and the "Sanyo" part number is very sloppily screened overtop. All that being said, both chips work in the circuit. Not sure for how long, but I'll bench test it for a few hours this weekend and wait for the smoke.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2017 3:38 am 

These are probably fall-outs.....chips that failed to meet spec or otherwise fail in some nuanced way during testing. Either that or they were harvested from e-waste that made it to china. It may work forever, or it may fail after a few hours burn-in. It is this uncertainty that makes them a lousy deal at any price.

The lengths that these shady Chinese vendors will go to sell a pig in a poke seemingly know no bounds. Since you know the person you are doing this repair for, it should be interesting to see how well the repair holds up over time.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2017 9:34 am 

That Ebay vendor has a feedback rating over 99% with more than 100,000 sales. You don't get those kind of numbers by selling junk.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 10, 2017 12:41 pm 

leadlike wrote:
Well it only took about ten days to get here from China. These are CLEARLY not original ICs! The original silkscreening has been scraped off (I can make out that it was an STK#, ending in a -5), and the "Sanyo" part number is very sloppily screened overtop.

STK085? All the chips in the series STK081-086 had the same pinout, just different output characteristics (PO>8ohms). One series has a chip with mirrored pin assignments - I forget which one, but otherwise electrically the same.

For STK replacements, I try to find the ECG or GE marked replacements - their replacement lines closed up shop before the Chinese fakes came along, so with an ECG or GE replacement, it's the real thing. NTE, not so lucky with them. Most are genuine (remarked with the NTE number), but I've received parts that clearly weren't the proper chip. NTE has always been gracious about it, but still, why take the risk.

Also - RCA part numbers 200733 - 200737 are STK (0070, 0081, 081, 082, 083...)devices, You can get them through Sears Parts Direct, and they are also genuine. They ain't cheap, but genuine. Play around with the 200### series and you'll find all sorts of Japanese ICs - they are the "reassigned" GE part numbers from when GE bought RCA in 1986 - GE kept RCA's parts distributor network, until selling it to Thomson.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 04, 2019 5:14 am 

Very old thread but I am looking for the same SS1001 datasheet info. Initial poster said he was told the STK-086 chip was the same. How can this be?? The STL-086 is a 70 watt amp. This fisher that uses this SS1001 is rated at 15 watts....