Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith MH2635 Console
PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

Ok, first post. First, my compliments. Looks like you have a nice board here. Much better than the car forums I have all but abandoned. Also, thanks for your patience in advance. I know you get a lot of newbie questions. I did what research I could on this item but have hit the limits of what my lack of knowledge and Google can do.

I picked this up at the Corridor 127 sale recently, if you've heard of it. I already have a semi-functional Motorola SK41CW, but for $10 even my wife thought it was a no brainer. Lights come on but radio doesn't function. Turntable motor works but platter doesn't spin. Needs a belt, the cartridge is obsolete, but I picked up a used one. I will play around with the phono some more, but I get the impression it isn't a super high end one. Seems to resemble the earlier (?) Cobramatic set up, I think. I would be open to replacing it with a different turntable, although I would like some input on that. Maybe one with easier to find parts?

I am quite mechanically oriented and would like to personally work on my consoles at some point, but now is not a good time. Was thinking maybe learn on the Motorola since I have the vague impression that the Zenith is a nicer model. Also, the Motorola is turntable only, no radio. I live in N Central Kentucky and actually contacted a radio restoration place in an adjacent state asking for a quote on going thru the Zenith for me. But he said he could not find repair info on it and seemed kind of unenthusiastic. I know there was a place in Lexington that used to do this work and also in Versailles KY. But I am not clear on whether they are still in business or not. If possible I would appreciate some input on places you might recommend in my region. My idea here is to have an expert do the Zenith because I really like it a lot more than the Motorola.

Attachments:
DSCN2758 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2758 (640x480).jpg [ 235.41 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
DSCN2759 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2759 (640x480).jpg [ 189.91 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
DSCN2760 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2760 (640x480).jpg [ 233.34 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
DSCN2765 (480x640).jpg
DSCN2765 (480x640).jpg [ 222.01 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
DSCN2767 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2767 (640x480).jpg [ 233.12 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
DSCN2770 (640x480).jpg
DSCN2770 (640x480).jpg [ 225.08 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith MH2635 Console
PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 11:54 pm 

Original nine-page Sams photofact service manual Set-633 Folder-14 for Zenith Tuner-12H26 and Amplifier-3H32 published in 1963

ebay.ca C$14.95 +3.95 shipping to the U.S.
http://ebay.com/itm/Service-Manual-Phot ... ?#shpCntId

Greg.

oh... the exact model of the record-changer will be marked on its base.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 12:39 am 

Looks like you did well, as that will be an excellent daily driver when it's done. The tuner and amplifier should have all paper and electrolytic capacitors replaced. This is around a 1962-63 model, which is right near the end of the molded paper/bumblebee capacitor era. Most of the non-electrolytic capacitors will likely be discs, which usually hold up well. Once you have serviced it, connect an antenna and be amazed!

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 2:10 am 

This looks to be the era of the venerable MJ1035 models. Whopping good receivers but matched, in the MJ1035 case, with some substandard speakers.
I wish you luck in finding a competent repair person who won't rip you off because "its a 60's unit and you must be a mark since old radio guys don't do these".
I'd love to have a go at it but my location precludes that.
Its worth pursuing.

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 3:09 am 

Thanks guys.

I ordered that photofact manual that Greg found. That's the thing about newbies. We wouldn't do something obvious like look on ebay! So embarrassing....

Turns out the turntable is an S-53315. After much staring at the underside of it and some online research it looks like the main problem is the motor spindle and belt drive spindle are not engaging properly, I guess because the idler wheel needs to be refurbished. But I will take that discussion to the proper forum....

Hopefully I will find somebody competent and honest. I guess it could happen. Either way I will keep in mind I have $27 invested in it so far.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 10:38 am 

I'm not sure who manufactured this turntable?
Sams photofact service manual Set-660 Folder-14 eight-pages.
ebay $10.00 +free shipping... :)
http://ebay.com/itm/1963-SAMS-Photofact ... Swc-tY3B4F

Greg.

oh... S-53315 is a belt part number.

Edit: If you ask in the Spinny Disc forum here at arf, someone who has serviced this changer will no doubt advise you.

Here are a few (Chris Cuff) video links that will give you an insight into the world of record changers.
viewtopic.php?p=2521885#p2521885

and here is a detailed (Larry Derouin) teardown (with photos) of a 600 series turntable.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/micromatic-teardown-rebuild.213911/

Take your time and work methodically... :)
For anyone disassembling a record changer for the first time, taking photos along the way can often get you out of a jam later on.
and, Watch out for the Dammit clips!

Edit: image updated.

Last edited by egg on Apr Sun 01, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 12:05 pm 

Wow, thats a wonderful find! Very similar to my 1963 Zenith, but yours is definitely a step up.

That changer was either made in-house with Zenith or manufactured by Webster (Webcor) It is a high quality changer and well respected.

Yours, like mine has the last of the Cobra style tone arm. Zenith went to the 2G tone arm and new style pickup the following year which is shown on the Sams Photofact Greg posted.

I've never stopped along the 127 Corridor sale. Though, I have driven through a couple times, I never had time to start hitting the sales.

-Steve

Attachments:
zenithstereo1.jpg
zenithstereo1.jpg [ 89.49 KiB | Viewed 1793 times ]
zenithstereo2.jpg
zenithstereo2.jpg [ 59.06 KiB | Viewed 1793 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 2:18 am 

You should be able to tackle this one on your own if you take your time and ask questions here if you get in a jam.
Turntables can be frustrating but not impossible to fix. The 2 biggest issues are hardened grease and rubber parts that are no longer flexible
enough to work well. Amplifiers can usually be brought back to life by replacing the power supply capacitors as well as a lot of other capacitors.
Tubes last a long time and even if weak will work acceptably. Transformers can short out or have open coils.
Sams Photofacts are great for beginners because they show you where all the components are. The physical layout probably will not match how the schematic is drawn. I would start with a continuity check of the power transformer and output transformers. Many of us here can walk you through that if needed.
I think you will have a lot more satisfaction if you do the repair yourself.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 4:10 am 

Thanks for all the input. I will probably end up trying to tackle this out of necessity. But old house, cars, boat motors, etc, etc, etc. So many projects...

The 127 sale tends to be miles and miles of complete trash, and all of the sudden some gem pops up and I'm standing there thinking "why on earth has nobody bought this {super cool old thing}?"

Thanks again for all the info and advice, Greg. That 169 turntable keeps popping up in my searches, but the numbers stamped on my motor are 141-173 and 107138 below that. 141 is the turntable (changer)? The other number is the belt, got it. My plan right now is to try and get it so I can play a record and see what I can hear, then go from there. I can tell the needle is "live". I watched that 3 part video on Youtube of a guy reviving a 1960 Zenith console. Thought it was fascinating, so I'm probably hooked.