Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember These Now Defunct Resaurant Chains?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 9:42 pm 

http://definition.org/remember-defunct- ... gKXHfD_BwE

My grandmother went wild when they opened a Sandy's in the town adjacent to ours. She estimated that the place could feed her entire family on a sustaining basis. Then in a town about 15 miles west of there opened a Henry's so we started using their services. this lasted about a month and a half. Man does not live on sliders and fries alone.

Post subject: Re: Remember These Now Defunct Resaurant Chains?
PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 10:17 pm 

I remember some of those. The Chi-Chi's which had one of the customer deaths was in my area. I once had some bad food at a Red Barn, in the mid 1970s, and never went back. We still have one of the surviving Ponderosa restaurants, and it seems to be doing well.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 10:26 pm 

Both my folks worked. Over. A lot. So we ate out quite a bit, and Ponderosa was a frequent stop.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 11:59 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
I remember some of those. The Chi-Chi's which had one of the customer deaths was in my area. I once had some bad food at a Red Barn, in the mid 1970s, and never went back. We still have one of the surviving Ponderosa restaurants, and it seems to be doing well.

Tim:

Are Eat'n Park still in business there?

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 12:33 am 

Red Barn,
As a child, mom would take us kids to Red Barn on the last day of each elementary school year.
Special occasion back then.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:10 am 

So glad that "slide show" did not quickly become a clickbait fraud list with slow advancement, like most of them do. I used to love to hit the LUMS hot dog parlor in Kokomo. Always fantastic and a burger alternative. Well no more. Sigh.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:20 am 

The Sandy's I mentioned in the first post was in Marion, The Henry's, in Kokomo. I'm from Gas City. :)

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:45 am 

Chi-Chi's was God awful. Charlie Brown's is still quite good here in NJ. I go to the one in Metuchen regularly.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:14 am 

Perhaps I am dating myself when I remember Howard Johnson's. Some of our younger forum members may not remember them, but I remember them well. Even until the late-1960s/early 1970s, Howard Johnson's was still the largest restaurant chain in America with more than 1000 restaurants. When I was a kid we had none of them locally, but I always looked forward to stopping at one when our family was traveling on vacation. Howard Johnson's was known for their great food, but I especially remember their famous "28 flavors of ice cream".

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:25 am 

We had a Chi-Chi's which was quite poor except for the carnitas. Several
of my Midwestern friends loved it, so I ate a lot of Carnitas.Their chips and
salsa were horrendous.

Another chain I don't see mentioned was Mountain Jacks which I thought was a chain.
Now long gone. Was it a chain? in the 1970's it was the go-to place to take our seminar speakers.
Just another steakhouse, no different from the very alive
Longhorn Steakhouse 1/8 mile mile outside my apartment gatehouse.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:55 am 

Eat-n-Park is still going strong; there's one just a few miles down the road. There once was a Hojo's near the old Pittsburgh airport, but I think that it has been gone for years.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:24 am 

I remember:

Sambo's

HoJo's

Steak and Ale

Burger Chef

Bob's big boy

Bennigan's

Charlie Brown's

A&W

Red Barn

Pioneer Chicken

There are several former Red Barns that still exist in Silicon Valley, occupied by other restaurants. Even after giving the buildings a facelift, it's pretty hard to hide the distinctive architecture. Considering how quickly the valley is becoming Manhattanized, the fact that these buildings are still standing is something of a miracle.

There was an A&W nearby when I lived in Portland. I have fond memories of it. When I lived in Felton, CA there was another one just down the street from there. Both of those eventually closed and became independently owned Chinese Restaurants.

A lot of popular accounts describe Sambo's "racist" name as being the reason for its demise, but that's pure BS. What really did them in was a scheme where managers of a restaurant could acquire a small percentage of another location's business at a discount price in exchange for getting paid extremely low base wages. This scheme was very lucrative for quite a while. Some managers were pulling in 80-100K a year, which was damn good money in the 1970s. Ultimately, the program began cannibalizing the profits of the larger enterprise so much that the whole chain went under.

There used to be a Charlie Brown's right across the street from where I work. When that company employed 25,000 people at that location, the owners were raking in the bucks. After the headcount dropped below 8,000, it and the seafood restaurant next to it folded.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:28 am 

Gino's Hamburgers made the list, though there is one operating in Glen Burnie, MD. They also had one in Aberdeen, MD, for a while, but it closed a couple of years ago. The food was good there, but the service was horrifically slow, which probably led to their demise.

Another place I almost forgot about was Lum's. I remember stopping there in Florida when I was a kid.

Burger Queen/Druthers was popular in my hometown when I was growing up. Ironically a grease fire in the kitchen cooked off the whole restaurant in the late '80s.

Then there was Rax. When they first opened in my hometown in '84, they instantly became a favorite for many, to the point that the local Arby's closed up within a year. In another case of irony, Rax folded suddenly in the early '90s and Arby's moved into the old Rax building.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 5:29 am 

I remember the Kenny Rogers Roasters around here. It lasted a few months before it closed. It occupied the location that was a Rax Roast Beef.

I also remember when there were a few Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips around. Apparently there are a few remaining.

Once in a great while you stumble onto a severely outdated Roy Rogers in a semi defunct ghost town of a shopping mall.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:47 am 

I'm guessing that most of the restaurants mentioned were in the Midwest, or east coast.

I DO remember Sambo's, Pup 'N Taco, & Pioneer Chicken, though. There used to be an A&W Root Beer drive in in Reseda, but IDK if they're still there, and another in I think it was Fillmore. There are still two Bob's Big Boy's in the San Fernando Valley, one in Toluca Lake, t'other in Northridge.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 7:24 am 

I can remember a Sambos and a Howard Johnson's being in my home town, also A&W where we would go for Floats in the early 60's, there are still A&W's around here, one just up the road from me.

Naugles was the place to go when I was in High School, it was close to the School so everyone went there for lunch, I must have eaten a couple Cows worth of the all meat burritos with extra cheese, add to that a large Fries, large Coke and a Chocolate Shake and it was a complete meal. :lol: That much food and sugar all at once would probably kill me today.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 7:52 am 

I remember Lums. We went there often. I remember getting a paper Space Shuttle toy when I was just 6 or 7 years old. The old Steak and Ale building is still in Alexandria, I think. Its something else now of course. I really miss the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. Best hush puppies EVER!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:13 pm 

Ah, Howard Johnsons had all u can eat clam strips on Wednesdays!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:22 pm 

Seems to me, Lums had a spinoff called Ollie's Trolley. They served the same "Ollie-Burger" as Lums.

In DC there was Hot Shoppes. Their big burger was the "Mighty-Mo." There was also Little Tavern, with locations all over the place. Their hamburgers, I guess today you would call them sliders. You typically bought three at a time.

Around here (Sarasota-Bradenton) there was Miami Subs, which had a varied menu and was really good. They lasted a few years, then were gone. Oh well. Also, The Clock. I'm not sure if there are any Clocks left. This is funny because I think there are several other chains, in other locales, also called The Clock, having no relation to each other.

Another one that I miss was Bellacinos Pizza and Grinders. They're a rather smallish chain, with EXCELLENT grinders. The one near us was, I think, only one of two in Florida, with the other one in Naples somewhere. The owners closed it because the rent skyrocketed, and opened two locations for Mr. Tequila, Mexican. Yes, they are good but I miss Bellacino's.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:14 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Seems to me, Lums had a spinoff called Ollie's Trolley. They served the same "Ollie-Burger" as Lums.......
There was an Ollie's Trolley up on campus when I first moved here. It was literally just a small replica trolley car (take-out) but the Ollie Burgers were quite good.

The only Ponderosa steak houses I know remaining are in Florence KY off I75, Huntington WV, and one in Maysville KY.

I stumbled onto a Roy Rogers Roast Beef in Cumberland MD on the way to Kutztown one year.

We have a couple of the newer A&W's here in town but they are walk-in and drive-through only, no car hops..... pretty good burgers and root beer floats.

That was a neat slide show.... I miss a lot of those places!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next