Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 15, 2019 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Time for a new water heater.
PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:37 pm 

Paul wrote: "The older design of gas water heaters with a standing pilot were dead simple and very reliable. This design only needs connections for gas, flue, and water lines

The new designs with burner igniters and and draft induction blowers rely on a electric power and a controller to operate, which just adds another layer of complexity, all in the name of better efficiency. Its very similar to what they have done to furnaces and other home appliances."

What absolute crap! They can't be serious. Drop down electrical power to the gas water heaters now? Draft induction blowers? A controller too?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:52 pm 

Be prepared for massive headaches with the new gas controls.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 7:44 pm 

A couple years ago I read that there would be a phasing out of the old traditional gas water heater design that I had described above.

Since my old water heater was nearing the end of its useful life, I ordered a replacement water heater of traditional design from Menards while they were offering a generous rebate.

I see that you can still get the traditional design water heaters with a standing pilot light, so I am not sure when the final phase out will be.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 9:29 pm 

Consider yourself lucky that the issues of your water heater showed itself like that. Our 25-year-old water heater (indirectly fired via our oil furnace) all but blew its top several years ago. We came home from a family outing to hear the sounds of water hitting my brother's drumset in the basement, and found that large amounts of water was spraying from the top of the tank. Here's what the tank looked like after I shut the water off:

Fortunately, most of the water drained into a hole in one corner of the floor, or the flooding would've been worse. Even so, a lot of our stuff ended up waterlogged, including several of my reel-to-reel tape decks, some of my Zenith Trans-Oceanics, and a very nice Empire 598 turntable:

My grandparents got it even worse when their aging water heater (directly-fired oil burner, age unknown) decided to blow a hole in its side. :shock: Several inches of water throughout much of their partially-finished basement. Spent several hours sucking as much of the water as we could out of the carpeting using a Rainbow wet vac before they decided to call ServPro to clean up the rest of it.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 10:12 pm 

Adam Vaughn wrote:
Consider yourself lucky that the issues of your water heater showed itself like that. Our 25-year-old water heater (indirectly fired via our oil furnace) all but blew its top several years ago. We came home from a family outing to hear the sounds of water hitting my brother's drumset in the basement, and found that large amounts of water was spraying from the top of the tank. Here's what the tank looked like after I shut the water off:

Fortunately, most of the water drained into a hole in one corner of the floor, or the flooding would've been worse. Even so, a lot of our stuff ended up waterlogged, including several of my reel-to-reel tape decks, some of my Zenith Trans-Oceanics, and a very nice Empire 598 turntable:

My grandparents got it even worse when their aging water heater (directly-fired oil burner, age unknown) decided to blow a hole in its side. :shock: Several inches of water throughout much of their partially-finished basement. Spent several hours sucking as much of the water as we could out of the carpeting using a Rainbow wet vac before they decided to call ServPro to clean up the rest of it.
-Adam

Your pressure relief valve must have locked up. It should have popped off long before the tank ruptured.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 2:49 am 

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to say that for once my life was without the chaos that others have mentioned here. The water heater failure was the best type that one would want after 28 years of faithful service-a slow drip, drip, drip from one of the heater legs. I went to the orange big box store and picked up the replacement heater as planned; they only had one left. They are about 2.5 miles from where I live and there are at least another three locations within 15 miles, so the worst case scenario would have been that I would have gone to one of the other locations. The water heater was easy to install. It is indeed larger than the old one, even though the capacity is the same-as others have mentioned, there must be more insulation. The biggest challenge was dealing with an old concrete floor that isn't exactly level but I figured that out. The old heater had legs and stood on cinder blocks. The new one has no legs and is too tall to stand on the same cinder blocks. I ended up using a piece of wood. Everything else was easy with flex lines for the water and a flexible gas line. The flu was no big deal either. This is a standing pilot model, even though the thermocouple provides some low power for some electronic gizmos on the thermostat-something about shutting it down if ti detects combustible fumes, blah, blah, blah. The pilot has a piezo ignition so thats convenient and there was something pasted on the side about some California proposition or something.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 3:28 am 

processhead wrote:
Adam Vaughn wrote:

Your pressure relief valve must have locked up. It should have popped off long before the tank ruptured.

Could very well be. I don't know how old it was (possibly as old as the tank itself, which was installed around 1984 or 1985), or if that foam wrapped around it had anything to do with it locking up. The new water heater (indirectly-fired, like the old one) is actually smaller in diameter than the old one was, though I'm not sure how their capacities match up.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 4:06 am 

Tank liner looks like it failed, and it allowed the steel outer shell to rust through. Those indirects also need a vacuum relief to protect the liner.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2