Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Telefunken Console
PostPosted: Sep Wed 19, 2018 10:24 pm 

Hi All,

New here.... I just purchased an old Telefunken console (TW509S). Everything as far as I can tell works great on it.
I know absolutely nothing about these types of units or the connections in the back so I'm looking for some help...

1) If possible I'd like to connect the unit to my home receiver so I can listen to records through my home speaker system. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to do this?

2) Can anyone tell me what these connections on the back are for? I don't recognize these symbols and the manual tells me nothing.

Attachments:
Connections.jpg
Connections.jpg [ 173.19 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]
IMG_5229.jpg
IMG_5229.jpg [ 167.3 KiB | Viewed 1424 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help with Telefunken Console
PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 3:26 am 

Should be two symbols: one with a circle with a line going halfway through it .that's for record player input. Then another with 2 circles. That's for tape player. Next question: how proficient are you with electronics?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 3:39 am 

The input where the record player is plugged into now (grey cord) is the two circles with the line between them. I thought that might be tape but of course.... the record player is plugged into it which I thought strange. The input on top that’s not being used is the circle with the line half way through. Does that mean it’s connected wrong? The record player seems to work fine when plugged into either one. I also don’t know what the inserts in the middle of the photo are for. One says normal and the other says local? The top input just has what looks like a ground symbol next to it and an arrow symbol on the other side. Only thing I assume here is positive negative?

As far as electronics I would definitely call myself a beginner but I’ve made a few solder connections in the past. Ha! What’s next? :)

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 3:55 am 

I'm not surprised that it worked as found. The two Telefunkens I have worked as found. But, you need to do some work to make sure it keeps working and preventing a sad and catastrophic failure. It isn't wise to keep playing it until you do the work.

You are going to want to replace all electrolytic and paper caps for starters. There may only be a few or possibly even no paper caps, Telefunken was switching to film caps by then. There will be some electrolytics for sure. The set may or may not have a selenium rectifier. If it does I would replace that with silicon and add a dropping resistor to keep the B+ voltage where it should be. Seleniums drop more voltage than silicon, hence the dropping resistor.

Good luck, I bet it sounds nice!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 3:58 am 

The ground and arrow are for ground and antenna. The top connector is for AM and bottom connectors are most probably for FM. FM connectors are closer in than AM connectors.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 4:34 am 

Wow ok, didn’t realize I’d have to replace so much to keep it working. Thanks for the advice, I guess I’ve got some work to do!

How about the part on connecting it to my home stereo to listen to it through the house speakers? Is that something that’s possible?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 12:46 pm 

madlabs wrote:
I'm not surprised that it worked as found. The two Telefunkens I have worked as found. But, you need to do some work to make sure it keeps working and preventing a sad and catastrophic failure. It isn't wise to keep playing it until you do the work.

You are going to want to replace all electrolytic and paper caps for starters. There may only be a few or possibly even no paper caps, Telefunken was switching to film caps by then. There will be some electrolytics for sure. The set may or may not have a selenium rectifier. If it does I would replace that with silicon and add a dropping resistor to keep the B+ voltage where it should be. Seleniums drop more voltage than silicon, hence the dropping resistor.

Good luck, I bet it sounds nice!

This set appears to be a solid state unit. So while there may be some need for electrolytic replacement, it's probably less urgent than what you'd find in a tube type console. I'm pretty sure you won't find any selenium rectifiers in it.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 2:57 pm 

jmsent wrote:
This set appears to be a solid state unit. So while there may be some need for electrolytic replacement, it's probably less urgent than what you'd find in a tube type console. I'm pretty sure you won't find any selenium rectifiers in it.

Thanks for the correction. I assumed from the appearance that is was a tube set. :oops:

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 4:12 pm 

Yes I can confirm that it is indeed solid state. Not a tube in sight.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 5:19 pm 

cloverdalemike wrote:
Wow ok, didn’t realize I’d have to replace so much to keep it working. Thanks for the advice, I guess I’ve got some work to do!

How about the part on connecting it to my home stereo to listen to it through the house speakers? Is that something that’s possible?

Which elements of the Telefunken did you want to use with the home system?

I think electrolytics need to be replaced regardless of SS vs. Tube

PostPosted: Sep Thu 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Just the record player. We have built in speakers running throughout the house so I’d like to be able to just use the console speakers alone when sitting in the living room and then switch to running it through my home receiver when we want sound throughout the entire house. The only thing I can think of is some kind of female din to RCA adaptor and just disconnect the record player from the console and connect it to the home receiver via RCA. Not sure if that would work though?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 12:05 am 

There seems to be lots of options here...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/din-to-rca-adaptor

You will have to pull them up on ebay.com Lol

The Telefunken record changer model TW509S was manufactured by Perpetuum Ebner.
It may be similar to (Perpetuum Ebner) model PE-72?

PE-72 owners manual...
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/per ... e-72.shtml

You will need to locate a service manual/lubricating guide, if you feel confident to do this yourself.

Gary Stork at thevoiceofmusic.com is a good guy to deal with (parts and advice).
http://thevoiceofmusic.com/sales_service_lit.html

It would be best to remove and replace all the hardened grease. All the rubber parts may also need replacing due to age related deterioration and correct lubrication applied in the correct place.

For tuners and the likes: When disconnecting interconnecting cables, label them with masking tape flags or directly with a sharpie.
Example: tuner chassis terminal-A to amp chassis terminal-A
B to B etc.
otherwise you'll get lost when it comes to reassembly... :shock:

Take your time and work methodically... :)
For anyone disassembling a record changer for the first time, taking photos along the way can often get you out of a jam later on,
and, Watch out for the Dammit clips!

Here are a few (Chris Cuff) video links that will give you an insight into the world of record changers.
viewtopic.php?p=2732362#p2732362 ←follow links.

Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 2:55 pm 

Cloverdale Mike, there is a town near me in Northern CA called Cloverdale. By any chance do you live there?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 21, 2018 3:56 pm 

Hi Madlabs, no i actually live in BC Canada. Cloverdale is an area in the city of surrey which is just outside of Vancouver. If you remember the TV show Smallville it was filmed here in Cloverdale. :)