Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynaco MK II MK 2 variations
PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2015 10:05 am 

A couple days ago I uploaded my Dynaco MK II assembly manual to the RadioMuseum as part of the earn your way membership.

The manual on the left in this picture is available for download here: http://www.thehistoryofrecording.com/Manuals/DynaCo/Dynakit_Mark_II_Manual.pdf

The manual on the right is mine that I uploaded per RadioMuseum image requirements here:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/dynaco_dynakit_mark_ii.html

The early MK II's did not have the biaset 1.56v feature so the bias adjustment settings are quite different. I also noticed the address "5142 Master Street" isn't mentioned in the Dynaco history on Wikipedia or anywhere else I could find...hmm? Anyway I just thought I'd point out there were at least two different versions of the MK II. The early manual (right) also gives info on using the GZ34 and/or 6550 output tubes. The physical size and components on the pcb are also different from early to late. Too bad the date is cut off from the left manual.

Post subject: Re: Dynaco MK II MK 2 variations
PostPosted: Feb Sun 22, 2015 5:09 pm 

Okay I think I'm figuring out the dates anyway. Found this webpage I didn't know even existed that is full of old radio mags:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com

and this Dyna ad indicates their original address was on Master St. so the Wikipedia page is wrong (imagine that). The "Biaset" feature first appeared in April 1957 so my MK II and its' manual is an early one.

This ad from April 1957 Pop. Electronics p.16

PostPosted: Feb Mon 23, 2015 8:16 pm 

I thought I also read somewhere that the earlier OT was preferred. Hafler initially had them custom wound? Or am I thinking of another Dyna amp?

PostPosted: Feb Tue 24, 2015 2:11 am 

The sales brochure showed you could order it with a 4 ohm tap for an additional $5.25. The MK III used the same OT, but includes 4, 8, & 16 ohm taps, chrome chassis, choke, biaset, and used the 5ar4/gz34 rectifier for an increase of 10watts vs the MK II. I think it's easy to convert a MKII to a III if you don't care about the 4 ohm tap or chrome plated chassis. These things are easy enough to disassemble it wouldn't be too difficult to powder coat the chassis any color you like for a custom job. And it's small enough to fit in my toaster oven. Guess I need another one or sell the one I've got. I've had it for about 10 years and just opened it up for the first time yesterday :shock:. Besides a lot of dust it has a pair of early Mullard EL34's in it. I'm guessing they are original. On my Hickok 600 one tested 8500gm and the other 7250gm. I assume they were matched originally, but have aged differently due to a lack of provisions to adjust bias individually.

Matt

PostPosted: Dec Mon 03, 2018 8:51 pm 

5124 Master Street now looks like a vacant lot.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 04, 2018 1:33 am 

MrBlimp wrote:
5142 Master Street now looks like a vacant lot.

Yeah, and a residential area.