Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CBS network switch sound
PostPosted: Jan Sat 05, 2019 7:27 pm 

I'm guessing this is the best place to post this question. Last night I was listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater on WNAR. This particular episode still had the original commercials in it. Right after E.G. Marshall announced "we'll be right back", there's a distinct "plink" sound just before the commercial begins. As I recall, it's heard again before the program resumes. I remember this sound back in the day when listening to CBS news on the radio and then they'd switch to Pat Summerall doing an True Value Hardware commercial.

Anybody know what that sound was?

Post subject: Re: CBS network switch sound
PostPosted: Jan Mon 07, 2019 2:54 pm 

Jim,
I’m on the east coast and listen to WCBS 880 New York.
Now that you mention it, I recall that sound from years past on WCBS. I always figured it was some sort of “transfer” switch or something specific to the CBS brand. Sort of like NBC chimes. I also recall it on some syndicated shows.

Speaking of CBS, for decades WCBS880 seems to have a unique studio sound regardless of the person behind the mic. Even today, while tuning up and down the AM band I can always identify WCBS880 by its “sound”. I don’t know if it’s the studio, or mics, or EQ. I’m not sure what it is, but I always know when I’ve tuned to 880 on the dial.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 07, 2019 4:34 pm 

Jimmler wrote:
I'm guessing this is the best place to post this question. Last night I was listening to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater on WNAR. This particular episode still had the original commercials in it. Right after E.G. Marshall announced "we'll be right back", there's a distinct "plink" sound just before the commercial begins. As I recall, it's heard again before the program resumes. I remember this sound back in the day when listening to CBS news on the radio and then they'd switch to Pat Summerall doing an True Value Hardware commercial.

Anybody know what that sound was?

That's a NetAlert chirp. CBS introduced it around 1962, and those chirps would control equipment in their network. Depending how many chirps were sent, it could alert the station to an emergency, switch to commercials, etc.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 28, 2019 1:03 am 

Exactly what Battery Maker said is correct. WCBS used this. It tells the network stations automation systems when to add local commercials.
Other networks (Mutual?)used a "boobeep" sound, others used what sounded like fast DTMF tones.
I remember a satellite delivered music source used a low bass rumble sound that would automatically switch the local stations to local content.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 09, 2019 12:25 am 

I always assumed that was some sort of automatic signaling method, if I thought of it, now that you mention it.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 8:15 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLuoZAVnPE

PostPosted: Apr Thu 25, 2019 9:07 pm 

The "bass rumble" is a 25 Hz trip tone.