Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 11, 2020 9:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6G601M case cleaning
PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 2:22 am 

I purchased a Zenith 6G601M and have the chassis up and running. I am ready to tackle cleaning the "airplane cloth" cover. The radio cover is pretty dirty but the cloth is in fair shape with a couple worn-through corners. The speaker cloth inside of the front cover look pretty good. The dial cover is yellowed but otherwise undamaged. The Wave Magnet is complete and in pretty good shape. I am looking for suggestions on cleaning and refurbishing the cloth covering. Also, suggestions on cleaning (how to) or not cleaning the speaker cloth, Wave Magnet and dial cover. Finally, the radio's inside has a distinct musty smell. I put a clothes dryer sheet inside the cabinet but it doesn't seem much better. So, any ideas on getting rid of the "stink" will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6G601M case cleaning
PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 3:39 am 

Scented dryer sheets will do nothing to remove odors - they will only mask the smell.

(Grocery store) Neat white distilled vinegar will kill all mold and their spores - the theory is that they overfeed on it.

Bleach is often used in mold removal - and yes, it will clean the surface, but it won't kill mold or mildew.

Their spores are buried deep!

Any wooden or plastic cabinets that I encounter get rubbed down (inside and out) with the vinegar and paper kitchen towels.

Rather that trying to scrub the speaker cloth, I would be inclined to lay flat some of the paper towels lightly soaked with the vinegar on the surface for a short period of time.

Sunlight will also kill the mold and mildew, as will ultraviolet lamps (black lights) - watch your eyes if you go down this path.

Placing and sealing the radio in a large plastic rubble sack (the clear ones are best) with baking-soda or charcoal for a few days should remove all of the offending smell. If not - repeat.

As always, check the white paper towel as you go for signs of color (dye) removal.

Greg.

oh... be aware that many tube and transistor radio dials were printed with water-based inks. I have inadvertently ruined a few over the years with nothing more than a mild solution of Dawn dish soap.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 7:27 pm 

Thanks Greg! I just removed the dial cover and grill cloth. Both were factory stapled. I will give the inside a wipe-down with vinegar. I'm going to try cleaners, starting with Dawn dish soap on outside areas that are not easily visible. Maybe some Lysol kitchen cleaner? I'll post some before/after pics.
Joe

Attachments:
File comment: Before 1
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_21.jpg
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_21.jpg [ 45.07 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]
File comment: Before 2
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_23.jpg
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_23.jpg [ 45.42 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]
File comment: Before 3
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_24.jpg
rsz_zenith_6g601m_project_-_24.jpg [ 42.36 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 18, 2019 7:05 pm 

Try the white vinegar on the outside as well. Get a clean cloth damp with vinegar and gently rub one small area at a time. White vinegar is a terrific cleaner but can work slowly so patience is needed. Whatever you use on the outside remember it is fabric glued to wood, too much moisture may soften the glue and/or damage the fabric.