Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 1:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Precision Apparatus Model 120 VOM
PostPosted: Sep Thu 04, 2008 10:51 pm 

I just acquired this meter and need to know the voltage of the battery for the 1K and 10K ohms scale. The meter utilizes two "D" flashlite batteries for other resistance scales as well. The meter performs well on all functions but do need the battery voltage for the 1K and 10K ohms scale.

Thanks,

Will[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 06, 2008 12:31 am 

Will,

In case nobody knows the answer (give it a week or so if you can, as some members don't check in every day), you can determine the voltage by experimenting. Starting with a Low Voltage...perhaps 3V or 4.5V in batteries or a decent filtered DCV supply you might have handy....see if that allows you to Zero Adjust and test a few of your known good resistors on your VOM on the higher Ohms ranges. If not, then increase the voltage in incremental steps, maybe 1 1/2V (one cell) at a time until you get good zeroing approx. near the physical (o'clock rotation) middle of the Ohms Zero Potentiometer; and also believable Ohms readings on your test resistors in the high Ohms ranges. Once you determine that target battery voltage, install a battery or small battery pack that fits conveniently in your tester. I remember that with the Triplett 630 series VOM's, that even though you're supposed to use a specific 30V battery for their high Ohms ranges; that anything from about 26VDC up to 32VDC works; so 3ea. 9V batteries (or 3 9V plus 2 AA's) work well in a Triplett VOM. In my 630VOM, I've used 3 9V alkalines (1602A) and 2 AA's for the 30V, velcroed in place. I might later install the correct 30V battery.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Sat 06, 2008 3:16 am 

Many Thanks, Fred, I'll give it a try!

Will

Post subject: Re: Precision Apparatus Model 120 VOM
PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2012 10:01 am 

Will,
Hello. Cleaning out my dad's room I just found a manual for a Precision 120 VOM and you are the only ref I could find on the web to someone who actually had one. Do you still have the meter and would you be interested in the manual? Also, the battery you were looking for the 1K and 10K ranges is an Eveready 411, which is no longer made. The 504 is a very close replacement, which you may already know... I just registered here to send this to you and I'm not 100% familiar with the rules & reg's but I'd like $5.00 plus postage (the least I can spend to ship it), no more. Let me know. I'm going to put this on the FOR SALE page, if I can find it, so look for it there... if I can find it...
Paul Elliott
paulel@astound.net

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 6:41 pm 

Paul, I'd like to buy your Precision model 120 VOM manual, if Will hasn't spoken for it. I am the other member who had previously posted on this discussion. I also have a model 120 w/o a manual.

You can reply by either sending to me a PM (Private Message) by "hitting" my PM icon and sending a message, or email fred dot scoles at oswego dot edu .
Fred

PostPosted: Jun Thu 21, 2012 1:03 am 

Please sell it to Fred. I have so many projects, and time is at a premium that I probably won't get to it for years. In fact, I haven' t thought of it in as many years. Thanks for considering me. WILL

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 9:32 am 

Sorry to bring such an old post back to life, does someone own the service manual of this Precision 120? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 11:05 am 

It's on BAMA (Boat Anchor Manual Archive) under presicio:

http://bama.edebris.com/download/precis ... %20120.pdf