Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blaupunkt Barcelona high pitch crackle sound on right side
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 10:22 pm 

I just picked up a Barcelona 42953 and don't know much about tube receivers from that day. My Dad was a master technician trained in Germany and passed away 15 years ago. I got this to honor his memory.
Left speaker internal and external hook up is totally fine. Right internal speaker is DEAD although I have not tested the speaker itself yet. But when I hook up an external speaker, I get a crackling sound no matter what volume but I DO GET the radio to play through it as well.
I am hoping this is an easy thing for some member son this forum to help me with.
Thanks again for letting me join.

Post subject: Re: Blaupunkt Barcelona high pitch crackle sound on right si
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 8:20 am 

I don't know how easy this problem will be to fix, but crackling sounds from a speaker often indicate that an arc is occurring somewhere inside the audio amp stage. This arc could be due to a faulty capacitor or to an output transformer that is damaged. It could also be caused by an oxidized connector or tube pin. The problem isn't likely to be in the power supply or RF sections since one audio channel is "clean".

This radio dates from 1961 so it is no doubt in need of capacitor renewal. There's no guarantee that just replacing the caps will cure the problem. It will take someone with practical knowledge of vacuum tube equipment to run the noise problem to earth. However, even with no or little experience, you should be able to handle the cap replacement procedure yourself, perhaps with a bit of oversight by someone who has done the job before.

Since you aren't experienced with tube electronics, it might be most effective for you to hook up with a local tube radio enthusiasts' club and find a member who would be willing to mentor you in the process of troubleshooting/repair.