Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unwanted phone calls--a new wrinkle
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 1:04 am 

Good for the Feds Richard.

The Gubbamint here passed a new law back in September 2018 with the powers to fine rogue companies up to £500,000

I somehow think that it has got their attention. Lol
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/toug ... ance-calls

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 1:08 am 

J. Hill wrote:
I called a phone number the other day and heard the tones followed by the recording that the number was no longer in service. This started me wondering if I recorded those tones on my answering machine followed immediately by my voice saying to pay no attention to the tones, leave a message, if the robo calling machine would hear the tones and think it was a nonworking number and leave me alone. Has anyone tried this?

I believe that is how the Telezapper worked, and at first it fooled the scammers and their computer would hang up the call. I then read that the scammers would program their computers to ignore the disconnected number tone so the call would go through. At least this is how I remember it being explained many years ago. I still have my Telezapper hooked up to the phone line, but I am not sure how effective it is. Sometimes when I get a call and answer the phone it is just a dial tone, so maybe it works some of the time.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 1:57 am 

All phones should have a built in CAPTCHA-like mechanism with recorded voice challenges (custom created by the user) and multi-digit replies. Even a challenge as simple as "How many consonants in my last name?" would be pretty effective against spoofers and robocalls, but would allow most authentic calls through.

And of the greatest importance: if the caller doesn't respond correctly, THE PHONE SHOULD NOT RING AT ALL!

My latest land line phone system advertises some of this capability, but the documentation and online support are terrible. I haven't been able to get it to work right yet.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 3:03 am 

Another new wrinkle, well in the last 2 months or so, has been the ringback. If you hang up on the robocall too quickly it dials you again.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 4:39 am 
Site Admin

FCC Chairman responded to this a couple of days ago:
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... -robocalls

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 4:46 am 

I'd like to see a significant amount of money required to be paid to the phone owner for any unsolicited call. We have prepaid cell phones @25 cents a minute, which we use only for emergencies and could otherwise go 3 months without having to put money on the phone. But it's all eaten up by these fake calls and scammers and it costs money to listen to the voice messages or read the text messages they leave, which are frequently happening without the phone ever ringing first. I think they ought to pay $500 or $1000 to every phone customer for every unsolicited call or voice message or text message we receive.

Anyone know how they manage to leave voice messages without your phone ringing?

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 5:35 am 

my solution:

let the machine get every call. if it is important, they will leave a message and maybe I will call them back.

cellphone: if it is a recognizable number and it is someone I want to talk to, I answer, otherwise, same as above.

works every time.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 9:38 pm 

This is my solution: TV got so annoying I got rid of it. The telephone will be next if I get many more garbage calls and If I keep getting these stupid ads on the internet sites I use, that will also go!!
Free at last!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 11:37 pm 

Merrill Bancroft wrote:
This is my solution: TV got so annoying I got rid of it. The telephone will be next if I get many more garbage calls and If I keep getting these stupid ads on the internet sites I use, that will also go!!
Free at last!

One simply has to learn how to deal with these things, Merrill 'ol boy.

There are internet sites that offer free no-commercial movies, right up to production last year. I can post the addies if you are interested. A Chromecaster or "Stream" device can be used to transmit them to a TV.

For a landline, I would suggest NoMoRobo, and additionally turning off your ringer(s). A genuine caller will leave a message; spammers won't. With a cell phone, I personally never have it with me unless I go out, and even then it remains off unless I have to make a call.

For ads on the internet, there are ad-blocking browser extensions that work very well. I use "Adblocker".

My only aggravation are spam emails which always get blocked then deleted, but are still a nuisance.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 11:59 pm 

I'm running TenFourFox a Mozilla browser + NoScript a Firefox add-on.
viewtopic.php?p=2552359#p2552359

I don't see any ads, ever!

My current version 5.1.8.4
Greg.

oh... I dumped Adblock Plus about five years ago.
improvise adapt overcome... :)

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 12:03 am 

forumuser wrote:
Another new wrinkle, well in the last 2 months or so, has been the ringback. If you hang up on the robocall too quickly it dials you again.

That's because of a feature on iPhones. Maybe Android, but I'm not sure. But on an iPhone, you can set the phone to do not disturb. When you do, anyone who calls will be sent straight to voicemail. But if they call right back, it will ring through. The idea being if it's someone who really needs to get to you. So they robocallers do this for those people who were blocking them by simply putting their phone on DND.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 12:04 am 

You deal with them your way, I'll deal with them my way. Besides I'd rather read.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 5:21 am 

fifties wrote:
For a landline, I would suggest NoMoRobo, and additionally turning off your ringer(s).
A genuine caller will leave a message; spammers won't.

Problem solved. :P

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 6:17 am 

The way I see it, the scammers will have another trick the next day, they said 2019 will be even worse. So forget about winning the fight as long as money is to be made and with the telephone companies and all the other stuff they have.

So I pay a telephone bill each month to be bothered every day most of the time and besides wake my wife up from nurses shift work, and with that work being hard enough, and then trying to go back to sleep.

So now you have a service that was beneficial for over 100 years turn into modern day world technology crap and scams. So why should a legal paying customer have to go through all of this and have to unplug the phone or turn it off?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 6:47 am 

Rodney wrote:
So why should a legal paying customer have to go through all of this and have to unplug the phone or turn it off?

Because one has to arrange things to keep his/her sanity. Simply let the ppl who call you regularly know that your ringer is off -and to leave a message- because of the continual robo calls. They'll understand, and might even start doing that themselves.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 7:05 am 

fifties wrote:
Rodney wrote:
So why should a legal paying customer have to go through all of this and have to unplug the phone or turn it off?

Because one has to arrange things to keep his/her sanity. Simply let the ppl who call you regularly know that your ringer is off -and to leave a message- because of the continual robo calls. They'll understand, and might even start doing that themselves.

This is a solution, but can at times be as much trouble as the calls you are trying to avoid. For example if I get a call from a busy person, he leaves a message, I call back but he is not available now, he calls me back and the cycle repeats.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 7:11 am 

J. Hill wrote:
if I get a call from a busy person, he leaves a message, I call back but he is not available now, he calls me back and the cycle repeats.

I can't tell you how many times I've been there. The only solution is to leave the ringer on when you are expecting a particular caller, and once received, turn it off again.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 3:03 pm 

fifties wrote:
A genuine caller will leave a message; spammers won't.

Not true in my experience. I have several "regulars" who leave messages almost every day, plus new ones occasionally. Some of those messages are not short and ramble on for a while.

If I don't go thru my messages and erase the scam/spam ones daily, they would fill my answering machine memory and there wouldn't be room for the legit messages.

These people are a blight on society. Hit 'em where it hurts and they'll stop doing it. Many more of these are needed: FCC fines robocall spammer $120 million

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 38 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2