Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 16, 2019 10:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: vintage AC line speakers
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 8:36 am 

What were those external speakers that plugged into an AC outlet for? Seems I recall they were part of a GE console system. Did those work very well, or did they have a bad AC hum on the line? :)

Post subject: Re: vintage AC line speakers
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 2:04 pm 

They are wireless, powered speakers that use an FM modulated carrier in the longwave band using the AC power line as the transmission medium from a transmitter contained in a GE console located in, for example, a different room. I don't know about their performance.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Thu 07, 2019 2:52 am 

I bought a couple of those Porta-Fi receiver boards at the GE Surplus Store (long gone). Never found a transmitter.
From the description, I thought they would be speakers with the field coils fed from the AC line, using a 117Z6 and a filter cap.

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Fri 08, 2019 4:48 pm 

They worked well if both the transmitter and receiver were within a reasonable distance in the same house, because they are FM and therefore less susceptible to interference. I have a couple of the speakers, an extra receiver board, and a transmitter around here somewhere.

I believe that one could build the transmitter which seems to be the most difficult part to get, by using parts from an extra receiver. The only thing unique about it is the coils, and the schematic for both receiver and transmitter is in the back of some old GE tube manuals. You could also probably modify some standard 262KHz auto radio IF transformers to work in the transmitter, which IIRC runs around 300KHz.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.