Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 17, 2019 11:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone ever fixed a Panasonic DVD recorder?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 7:02 pm 

Before I throw away a stack of about 15 of these DVD recorders, all with a bad DVD drive, was wondering if anyone ever got one fixed. New drives NLA, and Panasonic wants 450 dollars to repair one! Typical model numbers are DMR-EZ28, DMR-EZ17, ect. They all show no disc, or can't read disc. These things were kind of expensive when new and they all petered out at around 3 to 4 years of age.

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever fixed a Panasonic DVD recorder?
PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 7:30 pm 

There are lengthy troubleshooting procedures for these DVD recorders on-line.
https://google.com/search?q=DMR-EZ28+ca ... tnG=Search" -="window.open(this.href);return false;" -="window.open(this.href);return false;" -="window.open(this.href);return false;" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
.. humor... :)

Greg.

Edit: ignore the extraneous text at the end of the URL!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 8:27 pm 

In many cases, it seems that the bearings on the tiny drive motors eventually wear out on virtually all DVD recorders. The best cure is to apply a drop of sewing machine oil to the bearings while the DVD recorder is still working. Otherwise, it's curtains as you'll simply have to purchase another one. In other situations, a CD cleaner disc may be needed.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 8:50 pm 

If it's the type of drive that uses a flexprint cable (flat, usually gray, white, or blue) to connect the laser diode to the deck, the flexprint is usually the problem, or the seating of the end of the flexprint cable in the socket.

Aside from that, most players look for an ID track - if it can't find it, you'll get the dreaded "No Disc" - some other fixes include:

- Top clamshell piece fails to make contact with DVD center hub - the disc fails to spin up, and therefore "no disc". Commonly, a piece of felt or thin cork is used as a friction contact, and it's dried out, missing, dirty with dust, or has come unglued.

- Laser diode not emitting - the laser diode either fails to receive power, or is defective. Don't look into the diode - use a cellphone camera (it'll often glow or flash if it's emitting)

- the aforementioned capstan motor - no spin, no disc. Some have a semiconductor fuse that opens to protect the drive IC.

I've also seen missing lenses (Pioneer DVD player), and a failing power supply in a chepie Coby (not enough start-up current for the spindle motor), and even a gummed up laser diode slider - it should move freely on the radius of the disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 11, 2019 8:57 pm 

You need to first clean the laser lens.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 12:30 am 

We actually own and use two Panasonic DMR-EZ28's every day. Over the years, both machines developed problems reading discs. Every time, the fix was pleasantly quick and inexpensive.

Clean the area of the spindle friction pad -- sits directly under the disc. When this area gets dirty or glazed, the disc will slip. I have used 91% isopropyl alcohol but even distilled water has proven effective. Do not use anything that will leave fibers.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Regards,
Curly

Last edited by Curly on Mar Tue 12, 2019 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 1:50 am 

My first step in trouble shooting any DVD player was usually too first clean the lens. If this didnt work then I would disassemble the transport to check and clean the motors. Measure the resistance across all motors. Should be between 10-15 ohms, under and you might have a short, above and you have dirty commutators which is probably the most common problem I ever found on these. To fix this you can purchase new or simply spray them with contact cleaner which usually fixes it. Since you're already disassembling and checking stuff might as well clean up the end stop switch on the mechanism which also corrodes as well as the end stop switch on the loading tray.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 11:54 pm 

as mostly noted, cleaning and lubing have fixed the bulk of these I've encountered over the years, although probably not this particular one. Since the mind tends to block out memory of pain, I don't recall anything about makes/models.

But in general ... dirty lenses, gummy worm drives, stuff like that..... a spec of dust in the wrong place can kill it. Be careful ... alignment is precision.