Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 17, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collins R-390A Power supply chokes
PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 2:18 pm 

Working on an R-390A and have found that both of the chokes in the power supply circuit seem to be bad. L601, the swinging choke, has a DCR of 8 ohms and the case says approx 137 ohms. The other choke (ref des escapes me at the moment) measures about 60 ohms.

Is this a typical failure of these parts? I have two other audio chassis where the chokes measure within reason so I have a pretty good feeling these are shot.

Thoughts?

Tom
W3TA

PS: what lead me down this path is a higher then expected B+ (SS rectifiers and 220 ohm resistor mod) and a raspy audio tone when tuning CW signals.

Post subject: Re: Collins R-390A Power supply chokes
PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 4:47 pm 

What type of meter are you using to make your resistance measurements? I have found that some top quality digital meters give erratic results when measuring resistance in series with significant inductance. Suggest you confirm your measurements with an old fashioned VOM, (Tripplett, Simpson, or Heathkit, etc) before doing anything drastic.

-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 6:18 pm 

K7MCG wrote:
What type of meter are you using to make your resistance measurements? I have found that some top quality digital meters give erratic results when measuring resistance in series with significant inductance. Suggest you confirm your measurements with an old fashioned VOM, (Tripplett, Simpson, or Heathkit, etc) before doing anything drastic.

-Chuck K7MCG

My initial measurements were all made with a Fluke DVM. I have three audio modules, two measure within reason and the one in question doesn't. I'll double check tonight with my Hickok VOM just to be sure before I condemn these.

Tom
W3TA

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 1:23 am 

Swapped out both L601 and L602. Now B+ is where it should be and the audio tones are no longer raspy.

L601 measures 8 ohms and L602 measures 60 ohms. Both are well short of where they should be and obviously contributing to the issues I was seeing.

Tom
W3TA

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 1:39 am 

Tom, No, these usually do not go bad. Do you know if they were over heating? They should be warm, not hot. Is this rx a 3-fuse unit? Does it have the right fuse in F102? Are C606 A & B leaky? Bummmmmer!

Regards, Larry

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 12:50 pm 

I too was surprised. It is a three fuse unit and I rebuilt both of the electrolytics before ever powering it up.

The radio was having some fuse blowing issues. Measured the current and the 1/8 amp fuse line had approx 130mA of draw and the 1/4 amp line had approx 270mA draw. At first I suspected that this was due to a leaky caps somewhere but now I believe it was due to the high B+ due to the suspect chokes.

After replacing the chokes the B+ that used to be close to 300V is now at approx 210V where is needs to be. I need to go back and measure the fuse current again.

Another tid bit, both audio transformers seem to be reading half of what the transformers in the other two audio chassis measure. primaryies are around 60 ohms vs 120 ohms.

No evidence of overheating on either the chokes or the audio xfmrs. Audio out sounds good and at reasonable volume levels (not measured - yet....).

Tom
W3TA

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 9:49 pm 

Tom, Sounds like they were bad when you got it. Too bad. Repairing the electrolytics is the main B+ thing to do before powering it up. Getting it down to 210 vdc should bring the current draw down a lot.

Regards, Larry

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:51 pm 

Radios is working well now. Sensitivity below 1uV on all bands except two where it is 1.5uV. I'll call that good.

A couple more little things to do then this one is done!

Tom
W3TA