Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Sea Rise Wrecking Coastal Home Values?: "Maybe"
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 7:38 pm 

*Gentlemen: Please do not make this about "climate change" or political.

This is about Real Estate Prices being affected by rising seas and erosion in
some areas.

https://www.apnews.com/8c6f573bd67e4067881d82048181de3d

Post subject: Re: Is Sea Rise Wrecking Coastal Home Values?: "Maybe"
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 7:41 pm 

Yes and no. Now if you elaborate beyond that......

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 7:45 pm 

wazz wrote:
Yes and no. Now if you elaborate beyond that......

Welll yes...exactly. But we need Not discuss the Cause(s)...simply that yes,
the seas are rising...in some areas....and erosion is occurring...in some areas.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 8:27 pm 

I would answer in a conditional. If the sea level is or is expected to rise, or there is presently or anticipated erosion, the normal market reaction would be to devalue the affected properties. It seems to me, and this is only an opinion, waterfront property is overvalued in the first place.

However, humans will be humans. A substantial area in the New Orleans zone is below sea level, and not always adjacent to the actual coastline. So to make it usable, and hence have some value, actions have been taken to combat natural forces and or conditions. I personally question the wisdom of that, and would not be interested in owning any of that land. Additionally, approximately 1/3 of the Netherlands is below sea level (up to 22 feet), yet parts of that area are populated and include some larger cities. Since it is obviously already established, it doesn't seem to make people there much difference in property values.

Then again, I read an article that said Venice is sinking......so toss that into the equation and it only makes sense that the property is less valuable.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 8:52 pm 

I notice higher sea level at the head of the bay where I am. I used to be only a moon tide would flood over the marsh grass. Now, I see it flood over every time I pass the bay and it is not a high "moon" tide. It still has some 2-3' before it covers the road but a storm surge could do that easily. There is much home construction there is but a scant few feet from the high tide.

IMHO unless my desire is for the ocean front (it isn't), I would sell out and move to cheap high ground with a view. Planning that will be the "new" valued, ocean property in the not so near future, consider that sound economics.

My home is 65' above, and still cheap property with exit at some 25' above high tide and with 300' of new road construction an alternate exit at the 100' level. Yes I still have a bit of a ocean view and sweet sea breezes.

The Cape Cod seashore is disappearing with every storm. Soon, the Welfleet Marconi monument will have to be moved. The original station location from 110 YA is now the Atlantic Ocean :shock:

Oh, what will also effect values is flood insurance, it is very expensive... My location despite the height, was declined by Travelers some 20ya, I now have Safety, they are O.K.

Chas in S.E. Massachusetts

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 8:55 pm 

How can a thermometer and a yardstick and a raingage be political?

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 9:00 pm 

Tony Wells wrote:
It seems to me, and this is only an opinion, waterfront property is overvalued in the first place.

Maybe, but considering the limited amount of it as compared to anything inland, ppl will pay through the nose for it.

Used to be that a teardown on Malibu Beach would bring half a mil. That was in the '90's though; doubt I could count high enough to recognize what current prices are.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 9:45 pm 

Call me crazy, but it is hurricanes and the possibility of the occasional Tsunami that always prevented me from even considering beach front property.

I'm looking for some property with a stream and a ravine... that's plenty of water for me. If I want the beach, I'll go to the beach.

That said, yes, the sea level is slowly rising. That is expected to accelerate, but who knows if it will or not. The fact of the current rise, and the consideration or even fear of future impact could surely be having an effect for the prospective ocean property buyer.

Me? 1000 miles from any hurricane possibility is fine with me. Ohio has plenty of water..... here we just call it rain. :-D

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:02 pm 

Its been documented that absolutely HUGE pieces of arctic ice are breaking off into the ocean, some pieces 10's of thousands of years old. When you have pieces of ice the size of Long Island routinely breaking off and melting in the ocean that means more volume in the seas. I live literally 1 block from the ocean and have wondered what its going to be like in 50 years. Hopefully I'll either be dead or too old to care.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:03 pm 

The closer you get to the Ocean, the more expensive seafood becomes... :shock:

:) Greg.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:24 pm 

The seas are rising every where because of the polar caps slowly melting. I believe it's just a normal cycle this planet goes through. I've only seen a little of the California coast. You can have some pretty nasty wave action there, but it's smashing against rock and can't erode as much as it can on Cape Cod. The Cape and Islands are just beach sand. I grew up on an island east of the cape and on any given 3 day Nor'easter, you don't loose inches of land. You can loose 2 or 3 feet. That's a lot of property you have lost on your 2 million dollar beach front home. And the sea doesn't give it back generally. Yet those homes are still selling for 2 to 15 mil. It's crazy, but it doesn't bother people who have a ton of money.
It's just like what fifties said about Malibu Beach. Beach front property is GOLD.

Freeman

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:33 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Its been documented that absolutely HUGE pieces of arctic ice are breaking off into the ocean, some pieces 10's of thousands of years old. When you have pieces of ice the size of Long Island routinely breaking off and melting in the ocean that means more volume in the seas.

If the H2O was originally ice, and then breaks off and liquidates, does that add to the seas volume, or is it a net zero occurrence?
Regardless however, given that 70% of the planet is covered in seawater, those Long Island size ice chunks would still be, "a drop in the bucket"...

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:37 pm 

You have a house on the waterfront. As the water level rises, any number of things might happen:
--it will be easier to get to your boat
--there will be less grass to mow
--the fishing from your 2nd-floor balcony will get better
--it might be harder for door-to-door salesmen or food delivery to get to your house
--eventually, you will not need to clean the carpet in the basement

Will property values be affected?-----It depends.......;)

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 11:02 pm 

Are you sure it's a sea rise and not coastal erosion?

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 12:30 am 

Kestas has pointed out a good aspect of this.

Coastlines move all the time. Family has a house right on the Chesapeake Bay for decades. Several years ago, they were concerned their dune would be gone as the beach itself got very short. Then the next year, storms had given them back more than they had originally. Previously, they had owned a house on the Outer Banks but sold it due to concerns about storms. And two years after it was sold a hurricane isolated it. The damaged house still stood on it's pilings after the storm, but there no longer was a beach or road anywhere near it.

When people build "groins" , long narrow walls of metal or stone that project out into the water to avoid beach erosion, all this does is move the erosion further along the shoreline. It works only for the area right by the artificial wall.

I am quite confident sea levels ARE rising. However, we allow people to build and rebuild in places they should not. Indeed, they are people who have collected over and over on storm damage but with the flow of money they continue to rebuild over and over. One property alone in Texas has been flooded 22 times since 1979.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-house- ... 1505467830

We DO need to change the entire way this is handled. Hurricane Sandy here in Staten Island wiped out nearby neighborhoods, but in that case the Feds and NY City refused to allow people in the salt marshes to rebuild. The most vulnerable properties were denied the ability to recreate another disaster emergency. Other houses were rebuilt, it was only the ones down the single lane roads that were well away from land that were denied permits. No permits- No water, no power, no sewerage- All utilities cut off. Those homes were originally summer-only bungalows that were often only semi-winterized and at sea level in between the dunes and marshes.

If only there was the political will to do this in all areas.
John S.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 12:53 am 

Political will??---How about something more basic? Educate people about the risks of building on quicksand---or various other questionable foundations. I think early man probably figured out pretty quickly where it was safe to put up the "house". Perhaps if we were to pick building sites based on criteria other than who we are trying to impress....??

Quick, class---impress the teacher and explain why builders build in high-risk locations.....

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:34 am 

"I notice higher sea level at the head of the bay where I am."

Really? , 0.5" is pretty hard to see with your eyes. On the west coast the tides vary by over 12" throughout the year. When you have a 7.5' high tide around January, a half an inch is insignificant.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... -sea-level

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:39 am 

Like the link in the OPs first post mentions, people are allowed to build and live on the coast because of the high property taxes brought in to the community. The risk is borne by the Federal government, who covers much of the insurance that allows rebuilding.

On my planet, no one would be allowed to live too close to the coast.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:50 am 

pixellany wrote:
Educate people about the risks of building on quicksand---or various other questionable foundations. I think early man probably figured out pretty quickly where it was safe to put up the "house". Perhaps if we were to pick building sites based on criteria other than who we are trying to impress....??

Best answer yet.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 1:52 am 

Just how old are the houses in question? If they haven't been around long, there's a reason for that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next