Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay as a source of amusement
PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 4:06 pm 

Lately the more I look at eBay the more I find myself laughing inside. Some of the prices on there remind me of the old Supertramp song "Dreamer". I especially get a kick out of the sets with exorbitant BIN prices or the occasional set that for some reason or another goes ballistic with prices ten times what the set is really worth and you find out that it is all zero feedback bidders in the list of potential buyers. It feels good to laugh. :lol:

Dan

Post subject: Re: eBay as a source of amusement
PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 9:13 pm 

I agree Dan, sometimes you have to wonder what the seller was thinking when setting the price.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 9:19 pm 

Pricing has always been a game on eBay; first offering, set a sky high opening bid, or BIN. Next offering, reduce it some, and so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 10:34 pm 

Yeah toss it out there and see who bites. Guilty as charged. I'm probably the worst. My problem is I like them all and don't really need to sell unless the return is more gratifying than the pain of selling it. I've seen a few treads on my ridiculous prices.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 4:32 pm 

WAIT... IT GETS BETTER!!!! How about the guys with cloud high prices that relist with an even higher price..... often wonder what they are thinking.....

Jim

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 8:50 pm 

They're hoping that maybe a bigger fool will come along... :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 10:55 pm 

philcophanatic wrote:
WAIT... IT GETS BETTER!!!! How about the guys with cloud high prices that relist with an even higher price..... often wonder what they are thinking.....

Jim

The more expensive an item is the more value it has. Logical isn't it ?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 12:17 am 

Here's an example of, shall we say, unrealistic expectations? Shipping $175.00? Apparently seller is going to hand deliver it in a golden chariot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1923-ATWA ... Swr2tc9teS

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 3:02 am 

Thousand dollar breadboards used to seem exorbitant to me. Now for 4400 I would want a couple Waltons or something. Or really nice Zenith consoles. For huge money it would have to be something I could plug and play.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:15 pm 

Not all breadboards are equal, a few of the rare ones are well worth thousands of dollars.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 3:46 pm 

My favorite is the ebay folks selling stuff 3-5X the price of the same item ELSEWHERE. Not just listed on the site, but SOLD...... :shock:

$30 eBay resistor?
Sure, just stock up on them at Mouser for $1.58 each.....(Oh, but then I'd have to pay......SHIPPING!)

Same goes for Amazon ad nauseum - overpriced items available elsewhere for less. (But I get free two-day shipping for that 20-30 dollars more!! )

Kinda like the guy that buys out a website of a particular part, moves them to eBay, and charges 10-20X more. Then the website he purchased them from restocks from offline inventory - and blows up his profit model. But wait! The eBay seller still sold 50 of them after the website restocked......

There seems to be a mentality among buyers - run off to eBay, don't look elsewhere....and yes, a few miliienials I know buy stuff from Amazon because it'll be waiting for them when they get home, despite the fact that they could save money by buying elsewhere. Gotta justify that Prime membership. :P :P

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 6:29 pm 

What I can't understand is why people buy items on Ebay that they could get in any store. With radios we don't have too many options for buying sources. Someone complained they had bought a pair of shoes, then found blood in one of them. Same with clothes. Even a thrift shop would be better. I think some people simply don't like store shopping.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 7:14 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
What I can't understand is why people buy items on Ebay that they could get in any store.

There's a few reasons; for one thing, a convenience factor. You don't have to get dressed, drive out to the shopping center, look for parking, navigate the store, etc. It's just easier to do it from home. And until recently, very often one didn't have to pay sales tax, which here in Calif can approach 10%.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 11:26 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
What I can't understand is why people buy items on Ebay that they could get in any store. With radios we don't have too many options for buying sources. Someone complained they had bought a pair of shoes, then found blood in one of them. Same with clothes. Even a thrift shop would be better. I think some people simply don't like store shopping.

Bingo !! Some people would rather get a root canal than run around to stores looking for an item. I would never buy used clothes, but you can't beat the convenience for many other things. I think most people would rather be doing what they want to do (working on radios?) than shopping.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 11:28 pm 

Quote:
There's a few reasons; for one thing, a convenience factor. You don't have to get dressed, drive out to the shopping center, look for parking, navigate the store, etc. It's just easier to do it from home. And until recently, very often one didn't have to pay sales tax, which here in Calif can approach 10%.

And that is the reason brick and mortar stores and malls are in serious decay. I went down to our local mall and it was depressing to see all the closed stores (Sears was the big one) and how few people were in the mall. With the fast shipments most stuff is just a click away, almost faster than mall
shopping.
I needed some LR44 batteries and drove several miles to two stores and could not find them. Went on line and in 2 minutes had 10 ordered for about $6 (name brand). Crimminty, I spent more than that in gas.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 12:23 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Quote:

And that is the reason brick and mortar stores and malls are in serious decay. I went down to our local mall and it was depressing to see all the closed stores (Sears was the big one) and how few people were in the mall

I think the percentage of sales attributed to online vendors is still hovering at about 10% of total volume, maybe a tad more. When it reaches 50% the B&M's can start worrying.

AFA shopping malls go, it's all about location, store mix, and management. At the local mall here, you couldn't find parking until they built a parking structure, and even at night it's crowded by ppl going to the restaurants there.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 3:09 am 

Online sales were a little less than 6 percent of retail sales in 2013, last year about 14 percent of sales and rising faster each year. A lot more stores will be closing in the next ten years.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 4:05 am 

Yes, dry good vendors will suffer the brunt of it, but nevertheless will never be completely replaced by online. I can't buy either shoes or pants W/O trying them on first, as an example. And when I suddenly need a plumbing part right now, online can't do it as fast as my running over to the nearest hardware store.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 10:23 pm 

Bear in mind that some of the things you see on eBay are not exactly calculated to sell real fast. Some of those sellers are "small businesses" on paper, and use that to write off expenses at tax time. Of course if some buyer actually pays their exorbitant asking prices, great, but selling things is not the point. If they did, they would need to pay sales and income tax and then have the inconvenience of replenishing their stock in order to stay in "business."

Recent changes to the tax code has made this sort of thing more difficult to pull off, but it appears that there are still some trying to play the game.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 10:13 pm 

When I first started noticing $1400 books on Amazon and $30 resistors on Ebay, I was a bit puzzled but I got to thinking about it and... could this simply be the 21st century way to launder money? Not as convenient as owning a pizza shop or chain of coin laundries but also doesn't require a lot of investment capital.

Of course the guy asking $375 (plus shipping) for a Tektronix oscilloscope that looked like it had been run through a crusher and left in the snow for a month may merely have been crazy... :mrgreen: