Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 19, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring a Hacker Herald
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:05 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of restoring a lovely old Hacker FM Herald radio back to health again, currently working on the electronics, namely the audio amp first as that is dead, new parts are on order for this.

While waiting for these to arrive, I was wondering how can I restore leather cloth, as you can see in the photos, its undamaged apart from the covering has lost its tautness and I was wondering if there is anything that I could to restore it back being tight again with out having to strip the cabinet and start again?

Attachments:
back.jpg
back.jpg [ 427.34 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
front.jpg
front.jpg [ 365.25 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Post subject: Re: Restoring a Hacker Herald
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:20 am 

The foam will have turned to dust !

Better to ask on this Forum: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

More folk will have come across the problem.

For me it would be off and new foam. Might be an idea if you have a car trimmer local to see what he would charge you.

Gary

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

Thank you for the tip, I have now posted this in that forum as well. In the meantime because the electronics are almost completed, just awaiting on the delivery of some the transistors which are becoming so rare these days that I have had to source from overseas, many are the nearest equivalents as the originals are not around anymore. While I was waiting I have applied a couple of coats of liquid shoe polish to the case which has certainly brightened the overall appearance and does seem to have lessened the impact of the baggy covering somewhat. I'll post some pictures later showing the appearance know.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 8:33 am 
Site Admin

The only was to tighten the covering is too remove it and start over. The covering look like it is in good enough condition to reuse.

The comment about the padding is very likely the issue. You should be abke to feel if there is softness or not. If it's springy, the covering has just stretched. If you feel a hard surface, you need to replace to foam padding as well.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 2:30 pm 

Specmaster wrote:
Thank you for the tip, I have now posted this in that forum as well. In the meantime because the electronics are almost completed, just awaiting on the delivery of some the transistors which are becoming so rare these days that I have had to source from overseas, many are the nearest equivalents as the originals are not around anymore. While I was waiting I have applied a couple of coats of liquid shoe polish to the case which has certainly brightened the overall appearance and does seem to have lessened the impact of the baggy covering somewhat. I'll post some pictures later showing the appearance know.

Next time you're needing a part, try posting a wanted to buy, or WTB:, in the classified section of this forum.
I've got NOS transistors dating back to the early 60's, as I'm sure several other members do. Dan