Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why are some Ebay sellers total lunatics?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:06 pm 

It sounds like Pbpix wants eBay to become like Amazon.

eBay has always been a countrywide flea market, and by that nature the true 900 pound Gorilla on the net. No reason to change.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:06 pm 

stillthesame wrote:
There’s just so much wrong with the previous post.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to live in a fantasy world designed by Peter. I just wish ebay was the ebay of old, before it tried to be more like Amazon.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:31 pm 

stillthesame wrote:
There’s just so much wrong with the previous post. The old paradigm of ‘the customer is always right’ is dead, or at least dying. And, for the benefit of the customer. The employees/staff are the critical element in a company. Good, happy, competent staff and everything else should fall into place.

I’m not sure eBay would be onboard with your business model. As for me, eBay was best about 20 years ago when I first started using it. It may have been more like the Wild West, but I could handle that environment.

Don’t want to start an argument, but the customer isn’t always right.

I think maybe you don't understand why the "customer is always right" came about.

Sure.. I realize that there can be crazy buyers.. sure.
But from a strict business point of view... ANY customer who comes in the door with money trying to buy something... is a "treasure" ... Yes the customers are the HEART of any hopeful new business. So we should always treat them as though they are never wrong because we want to preserve that long term customer-- "money source" relationship.
So a business will want to adopt the "Always right customer" .. because it's a good idea... No it does not mean all customers are sane. But it does mean ALL customers are the "money source" like gold nuggets to a prospector... and you don't ever want to let them fall out of your sluice pan.

Last edited by Pbpix on Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:36 pm 

My idea is to simply have Ebay be the buffer between customers and sellers.
Since the seller community is wide and varried and you can't send them all to diplomacy school on how to treat customers with care... it would be "better" perhaps if Ebay did that part.
In otherwords Ebay can block all contact between sellers and buyers.
Then all customer only deal with a professional Ebay sales rep from the Ebay store.
So Ebay acts a pseudo on-line consignment shop.

What's wrong with that concept?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:51 pm 

I wouldn't say this one is a total lunatic, but certianly has no concept of working equipment.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=360220

Attachments:
WorkinSpkr.png
WorkinSpkr.png [ 97.81 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

Last edited by pauls.ironhorse on Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:53 pm 

Update:
I just got off the phone with Ebay. They were going over the final resolutions of events with me.
The Ebay rep.went over all the details with me and basically apologized to me as a customer... the Ebay rep confided ...that he could see in the detail of the records of the whole incident..that their Ebay security team emailed the seller a reprimand and strict warning against any such future behavior on this part.

So at least that makes me feel better... Thank God for small favors... right? lol

I took the opportunity to express my thoughts about how Ebay could improve and prevent all these problems if Ebay acted as the middle man preventing all contact between sellers and buyers.
In other-words.. act like a consignment shop.

He really seemed to like my ideas.. or so he said, and rephrased and re-wrote everything I suggested and said he would pass that along as a customer suggestion and send it up the command chain.

Last edited by Pbpix on Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:56 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Since the seller community is wide and varried and you can't send them all to diplomacy school on how to treat customers with care... it would be "better" perhaps if Ebay did that part.
Then all customer only deal with a professional Ebay sales rep from the Ebay store.

What's wrong with that concept?What's wrong with that concept?
One of the things I love about ebay is that you can communicate directly with the buyers and sellers to get any questions/concerns answered. You want to block that? Rubbish. I don't see why you want to change what works well and is of great benefit in 99% of all ebay deals to possibly avoid the 1% of fails.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:05 pm 

Quote:
All Ebay has to do is to restrict/block all seller contact with the buyer entirely.

There are times when I want to contact the seller about details, or packing and shipping options. That statement above. makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:08 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

One of the things I love about ebay is that you can communicate directly with the buyers and sellers to get any questions/concerns answered. You want to block that? Rubbish. I don't see why you want to change what works well and is of great benefit in 99% of all ebay deals to possibly avoid the 1% of fails.

I curious Jim... why you found that to be a good idea?
What's really helpful about sellers and buyers talking?
Maybe you can enlighten me or what am i missing?

To ME.. I think that if I were a seller and Ebay was the go between it seems it would work just like a large store such as Sears.
Sears stocks goods that it procures from vendors all over the world... right?
Likewise Ebay can "stock" goods it procures from sellers.

When you buy something at Sears you don't ever NEED to contact the manufacturer to complete the sale. Sears handles all sales related questions and problems.. Right?
Why wouldn't that work with Ebay acting as a consignment shop?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:10 pm 

I fully understand where the philosophy of ‘the customer is always right came from.’ I also know it’s nothing more than an outdated cliche whose time has (thankfully) come and gone. Do some research on why the customer isn’t always right. He isn’t always right. Nor is he the most important part of an organization.

As far as the eBay customer service rep is concerned, his job is much easier when he just goes with the flow.

Okay, all of you hard working people who don’t have time for discussions like this because of your work schedule. Thanks for still being productive members of society. Because, if I have the time to do this, I’m obviously not.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:11 pm 

Pbpix wrote:

What's wrong with that concept?

Plenty.
It's not Amazon; if I want that kind of big brother treatment, I'll go there. If not, eBay is just fine, as-is.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:15 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
wiscojim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

One of the things I love about ebay is that you can communicate directly with the buyers and sellers to get any questions/concerns answered.

I think I just told you.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:36 pm 

Pbpix wrote:

Additional response:

Okay, how about these examples.

Seller has bad pictures, I want to ask for better ones.

Looks like there may be some undisclosed damage, I want to ask about it.

Seller says it works, but it looks like it shouldn't. I want to ask what it actually does.

I want to give the seller packing instructions to assure safe arrival.

The package arrived, but one or more of the items in the auction is missing. I want to ask about it.

The seller is listing parts from a certain item. I want to ask if he has additional items from it.

Long after I've sold something to a buyer, I find more parts of it and I want to let him know.

C'mon, Peter. There are literally thousands of reasons why an ebay user would want to be able to get in contact with others. What are we supposed to do? Contact ebay and use them for a middleman each and every time? They'd need ten times the employees just to deal with all that crap. And the fees would skyrocket to pay for it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:43 pm 

wiscojim wrote:

I think I just told you.

I hear you... ok.
But think about that in the context of a Sears store.
If sears has the item you want for sale... would you STILL need to speak to the manufacturer or vendor that Sears procured it from in order to simply complete the sale?
I think not.
I think you'd ask your questions of the sales person ...and if it were REAL technical the sales rep can contact the vendor and get back to you or pass your question along to the vendor... and likewise Sears can filter the vendor's reply back you.

So when you ask the Sears sales guy how the intricate parts work he will send your question to the guy who sells it. But when that vendor-guy sends back his (less than professional reply) i.e. " Hey dummy anyone knows that it does it this way or that way" ... the Sears rep can cut out the offensive words "hey dummy".
Do you see what i mean?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:48 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

Additional response:

Okay, how about these examples.

Seller has bad pictures, I want to ask for better ones.

Looks like there may be some undisclosed damage, I want to ask about it.

Seller says it works, but it looks like it shouldn't. I want to ask what it actually does.

I want to give the seller packing instructions to assure safe arrival.

The package arrived, but one or more of the items in the auction is missing. I want to ask about it.

The seller is listing parts from a certain item. I want to ask if he has additional items from it.

Long after I've sold something to a buyer, I find more parts of it and I want to let him know.

C'mon, Peter. There are literally thousands of reasons why an ebay user would want to be able to get in contact with others. What are we supposed to do? Contact ebay and use them for a middleman each and every time? They'd need ten times the employees just to deal with all that crap. And the fees would skyrocket to pay for it.

Sure.. all those examples are reasons you NEED to get answers.. sure.. But the Sales Rep can convey you questions easily by letting you message go right through to the seller.. but when the seller replies.. the Sales Rep intercepts it and will clean it up and act as a go between to be an agent for both sides and preserve sanity.
And when you send it back it goes to Ebay ... that way the seller cannot falsely say you returned something else.
...like exactly what THIS seller tried to do to me.

Last edited by Pbpix on Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:50 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Do you see what i mean?

Ebay was set up as a way for buyers and sellers to reach each other through a simple interface, mostly selling used/unique/unusual items. And it still works fairly well for that.

Don't even try to use an argument of comparing it to Sears or other retail stores, they don't fit that same philosophy.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:58 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Sure.. all those examples are reasons you NEED to get answers.. sure.. But the Sales Rep can convey you questions easily by letting you message go right through to the seller.. but when the seller replies.. the Sales Rep intercepts it and will clean it up and act as a go between to be an agent for both sides and preserve sanity.
And when you send it back it goes to Ebay ... that way the seller cannot falsely say you returned something else.

Repeat:

And now you want to add additional costs of sending things to ebay in the middle? The shipping expenses are high enough going directly between the buyer and seller now. Sorry, above I said they'd need ten times the number of employees. In your scenario they'd need far more than that. Nobody wants to pay for that.

And just because you have a few ebay problems that you can't let go of, it doesn't mean the rest of the ebay users have your same hangups.

Get over it, move on to more important things in life.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:17 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Do you see what i mean?

Ebay was set up as a way for buyers and sellers to reach each other through a simple interface, mostly selling used/unique/unusual items. And it still works fairly well for that.

Don't even try to use an argument of comparing it to Sears or other retail stores, they don't fit that same philosophy.

Okay.. but the Ebay model can not fit well for everything because it's all about unprofessional sellers dealing with hopeful possible difficult buyers.
Ebay does not have a clean solution for those problems as it exists today...
To wit ... my recent example ... of simply trying to exchange a pair of pants!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:38 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

Exactly. I have had numerous problems with items I bought on eBay, and almost always just a single email to the seller will result in every problem going away, either by refund (partial or complete) or another item sent. I would not trust eBay to negotiate the sale of a Twinkie; their intervention is usually too heavy-handed or too limp-wristed. Let's face it, they normally have no idea what you are buying or selling and have little comprehension of the troubles you are going through--all they know is you are mad and want justice.

Keep eBay out of the equation as much as possible.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 10:49 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:

Exactly. I have had numerous problems with items I bought on eBay, and almost always just a single email to the seller will result in every problem going away, either by refund (partial or complete) or another item sent. I would not trust eBay to negotiate the sale of a Twinkie; their intervention is usually too heavy-handed or too limp-wristed. Let's face it, they normally have no idea what you are buying or selling and have little comprehension of the troubles you are going through--all they know is you are mad and want justice.

Keep eBay out of the equation as much as possible.

But Ebay can still forward your questions to the seller and send his answers to you... but Ebay acts like the filter to avoid bad words and conflicts... that's all.
They act as agents for both side to HELP only not hinder.
( kind of like a helpful "moderator" ... lol)

Where else in the world do you NOW buy ANYthing where you are able to speak directly to the vendor to complete or return a sale??

Harbor Freight? .. nope
Home Dept.. nope
Car dealer .. nope
auto parts store... nope
... etc

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 60 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next