Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 9:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rubber mounts for tuning capacitors
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 10:57 am 

Hi All,

What do you do to replace the soft rubber mounts that support the multi-bang tuning capacitor onto the chassis? The white rubber mounts in my National AF-300 AM-FM-SW radio have all but disintegrated and my supply of Chinese hard rubber grommets are proving to be poor replacements. What do you use and is there a secret to replacing these things?

There are four more underneath the RF sub-chassis on this radio as well. Not looking forward to removing those bad boys as that's where all the RF coils are located...

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rubber mounts for tuning capacitors
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 11:53 am 

All I can think of at this time is to peruse this product line and see if you can spot a close replacement. http://www.renovatedradios.com/productlist.php

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 12:52 pm 

Check the grommet selection in the bins at a full service Tru-Value or Ace hardware store.
I have had good luck finding replacements for a variety of radio models that way.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:44 pm 

I picked up a box of various 0 rings at an estate sale and many time I can use them.
Sometimes they won't fit my application, but I always keep every part of any radio that is a junker, and sometimes the grommets are still good.
Dan in Calgary

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:00 pm 

Thank you all for your inputs. I found the renovatedradios.com site a few minutes after posting my question. Their rubber chassis parts seem more fit for American radios but some may be adaptable to my Japanese brand. They are pricey little things, though. A modest supply of 30 pieces costs over $60 US. I've spent so much money on this radio already I really resist purchases like this so will hold off until I've experimented with a few DIY alternatives first. Fortunately, you've answered one of my questions already, that being, there is no particular magic associated with these rubber parts. I mean it's not like my radio will burst into oscillation if I don't use exact replacements. So, I'm thinking that I can make my own grommet-style mounts using a small punch set, a sheet of rubber from an old bicycle inner-tube and a wee bit of glue. Has anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 5:31 pm 

The white rubber used in some imported sets seems to have been quite a bit softer than the black rubber used in US made sets. But I doubt that makes much of a difference, and would try the standard sizes found in the hardware store parts bins to see if you can find a close size.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they sell an assortment of sizes in a plastic storage box that's not expensive, but I'm not too impressed with them when compared to the ones at the hardware stores.

While you could make your own using sheet rubber and punches, compared to the low cost of ready made ones at the hardware store it's not worth fooling with.

And when you need an exact fit for a pre-WW2 radio, you can't beat the ones from Renovated Radios. There aren't any readily available generic ones that are exact fits in many of those sets.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:12 pm 

Not rocket science at all, nor needing to cost more than a few bucks. Simply go to the plumbing section of any hardware store, and get some rubber grommets or washers that look similar to what you need. Take one with you for comparison.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:24 pm 

fifties wrote:
Not rocket science at all, nor needing to cost more than a few bucks. Simply go to the plumbing section of any hardware store, and get some rubber grommets or washers that look similar to what you need. Take one with you for comparison.

Around here, not every hardware store carries a good selection of grommets. However, the ones that do carry grommets have an amazing selection though. Rare not to find an exact replacement for what I am looking for.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:47 pm 

processhead wrote:
fifties wrote:

Around here, not every hardware store carries a good selection of grommets. However, the ones that do carry grommets have an amazing selection though. Rare not to find an exact replacement for what I am looking for.

If he has a big box store like HD or Lowes, shouldn't be a problem. Even Ace Hardware would have a selection.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 8:11 pm 

fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:
fifties wrote:

If he has a big box store like HD or Lowes, shouldn't be a problem. Even Ace Hardware would have a selection.

I can't speak for the stores in the OPs area.

HD and Lowes in this neck of the woods do not carry a wide selection grommets.
The larger Ace and Tru-value hardware do normally carry an extensive line of the specialty hardware like grommets. YMMV. Must be a regional thing.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 9:02 pm 

He can always buy from any of them online.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 1:33 am 

One of my great joys is living in the country where this radio was built, Japan, but my hobbies are often more expensive as a result as I must ferret out parts on the local economy in stores such as Joyful Honda and Tokyu Hands (which are huge and fun to walk through) or rely on the slings and arrows of international mail order. I tend to do the latter more often because parts get delivered to my door without my having to put up with trains or parking fees, which can cost more than international shipping assuming I can find companies willing to ship to my address at all. Many American companies, including Home Depot, Ace Hardware and McMaster-Carr simply won't. Then of course there's eBay, the greatest crap-shoot ever devised by man, but I digress.

Anyway, I have a collection of Japanese grommets already, they're just not the right softness or sizes for radio work. Renovated Radios appear to have the best solution so they may be the way to go, despite the costs.