Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 5:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A hint to the Wise on buying test equipment
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 9:39 pm 

If you are interested in a piece of test equipment or stuff that normally does have a serial number, ask for the number, as a lot of sellers are trying to get rid of stolen stereos, TVs, and test equipment.
Especially in Tube testers. Its surprising to the seller being asked if they are fencing stolen property. Its a dead giveaway otherwise it could be traced if stolen. If its posted with pictures look for the serial number some where and if you don't see it be wary. I bought a TV-7 several years ago and the collector had replaced the model number label from a TV-7/U to a TV-7/D
And the internet can be a trap for the unwary also. Even in components there are a ton of forgery's masking as authentic. Use sellers that have a reputation of being above board.
Barnum T. Bailey says there's a sucker born every minute. :shock:

Edit: try this link. http://www.amtronix.com/stolen2.htm

2nd edit: this is from the web also:

Ask the seller for a proof of purchase or other proof of origin so he probably won't claim that he got it at a swap market or from the dumpster or a relative especially grandpas and uncles? ;-)
If you are already nervous about the seller and he cannot provide documentation, I would not buy.
Also research ongoing E bay seller for their online reputation, any of them who are worth there salt will answer questions. But be wary if it says no returns, and doesn't make a statement that it works or just sold for parts or repair.

Post subject: Re: A hint to the Wise on buying test equipment
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 10:08 pm 

I couldn't provide that proof if selling so I wouldn't ask it as a buyer. If asked by a prospective ebay buyer I would just tell them the truth. Majority of my stuff is bought from strangers at ham fests for cash and no receipts.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 11:31 pm 

I would not necessarily reject an older piece of equipment just because the nameplate was replaced. The military and commercial operations sometimes removed nameplates when equipment was disposed of. Nameplates were also sometimes removed for other legitimate reasons, lost, or damaged beyond recognition. Of course it is best if the original nameplate is still on the unit, but if that is no longer possible, I'm happier with a nameplate from a junker unit that is more or less correct--than I'd be with four empty holes and a blank space where the nameplate used to be.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 12:09 am 

My father brought back from WWII a 98k Mauser, where the bolt s/n doesn't match the rifle's s/n.

Bolts were sometimes removed from these rifles, when captured, to disable them. Bolts that were returned, probably never went back to the correct rifle.

I (once) thought an on line data base might re-unite bolts to their like numbered rifles but, then I though, what is to prevent some crook from copying some one else's s/n and claiming it was stolen from him?

By providing, at large, a serial number, of anything, could not someone dishonestly claim it as stolen from them? :(

Charlie

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 12:32 am 

Better have your Mauser's headspace checked with a replacement bolt. I don't recall if all my stuff has valid serial number tags. Stuff like Heathkit has sticky labels that can fall off easily over the years. If someone was offering you something up to date or still in production that looks perfect, with no name tag or serial number tag, that would be suspicious. If it is 20 years old or older and shows alot of use, it might be less clear as to why a tag is missing from the equipment. I have and have had test gear that was disposed of by the commercial owner, bought at hamfests and such, and stuff from estate sales. Nearly all of it it vintage stuff.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 3:08 am 

Depending on what it was, I might not respond to the request for a serial number. I understand that some items like HP you can determine the date of manufacturer which might be important to some, but for the most part I pack stuff before it is listed so if there is no picture then it is tough boogies.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 2:17 pm 

Its prudent to be careful when buying anything but asking where it came from
is a bit much IMO. Especially for the old stuff we're talking about. The big
red flag for me is a serial number tag that has been hacked up in a way
that the number cannot be read.

Stopped buying anything on line years ago. Too many dishonest sellers.
Steve

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 4:33 pm 

If someone asks me where a particular item came from, I answer, “I’ve been collecting stuff for fifty years, at my age I couldn’t tell you.” That satisfies 100% of the people I deal with.

If they ask, “Where do you get your stuff?” I answer, “If you look, you can find this stuff everywhere. Yard sales, flea markets. Are you a collector or a dealer?” They’ll usually answer, “No, I was just wondering.”

If they ask about serial number, I’ll ask why they want it.

It’s no one’s business where something came from, how much you paid, or it’s serial number, regardless if it’s a Transitone or Stratosphere.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:29 pm 

The 98k has been fired numerous times, some times with re-loads with no apparent or unusual case stretching.

I used to bid on and buy test equipment from government auctions and I tried to file the paper work to prove ownership, since, often property tags were still on the items, however, the paper work that accompanied the items was often inconsistent in form and details, so, eventually, I stopped worrying about it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:59 pm 

wazz wrote:
Better have your Mauser's headspace checked with a replacement bolt.

The proper method is to have a gunsmith check by using a headspace gauge not another bolt.... that proves very little. The gauge is precise.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:01 pm 

good tip.
I hadn't really thought about Vintage test equipment being stolen, fenced or the like.
But it certainly makes sense as the values can be very high, hence, the fence. :)

thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:20 pm 

Mars wrote:
wazz wrote:
Better have your Mauser's headspace checked with a replacement bolt.

"The proper method is to have a gunsmith check by using a headspace gauge not another bolt.... that proves very little. The gauge is precise".

I figured that was what he meant. Anyway, it and I'm sure many others have been fired with mis-matched bolts without incident. My father did so before he knew anything about head-spacing.

In WWII videos that I have, it was commonly seen to remove the bolts en mass, to disable captured rifles. Makes me sick to think that they probably didn't bother to reunite the bolts to their rifle.

TO BE SAFE, HEADSPACE SHOULD BE CHECKED ON RIFLES THAT HAVE BEEN ABUSED OR HAVE MIS-MATCHED BOLTS OR HAVE BEEN RE-CHAMBERED FOR DIFFERENT CALIBER, unless purchased from a reliable source that would have already done so.

Charlie

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:42 pm 

Interesting..... never thought of firearms as test equipment so far. Muahahaha new concept. :-D

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:53 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Interesting..... never thought of firearms as test equipment so far. Muahahaha new concept. :-D

Well, it started out as an unnecessary long winded example, on my part, about making known serial numbers that unscrupulous people might file a false claim to, to CYA safety advisory. :|

Charlie