Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 20, 2019 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any new discoveries of old shows being found?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:18 pm 

Has anybody heard of any recent discoveries of old radios shows that were thought to be lost?
There MUST be some stashes of recordings out there - somewhere . . .

Post subject: Re: Any new discoveries of old shows being found?
PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 10:12 pm 

I also wonder the same thing. Each day the odds are getting slimmer. But a few years ago, a couple thousand AFR discs were found on a base
https://www.army.mil/article/70660/lost ... o_afn_home

I think the best cache of really great unheard stuff is the NBC collection at the Library of Congress. No money, no time and lots of legal questions about making it available digitally. But, I can only imagine what could be possible with that haul.

Possible to re-create entire blocks of programming that is otherwise unobtainable. Or at least in my imagination.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 12:26 am 

Well, if we could fly faster than the speed of light, everything that has been broadcast is still out there in outer space (I guess).
I would love to hear the missing episodes of I love a Mystery.
I recently bought a late 1940's - early 1950's recording on wire that's labeled "Lone Ranger" with no date. I have a Webster wire recorder that I have to rebuild. I can't wait to hear what's on there. Maybe it's an episode that doesn't exist. Even if it does exist - maybe there's commercials left on there that could be interesting.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 08, 2018 8:10 am 

The wavelength of radio signals in the BC band are too long to penetrate the ionosphere and radiate into space so those old time radio shows are forever lost. The shorter wavelengths of the FM transmissions in the FM broadcast band (88-108 MHz) and the higher TV frequencies which can penetrate the ionosphere could still be wandering around out there somewhere. There was a fairly recent sci-fi movie, I can't remember if it was "Frequency" or "Contact" or maybe some other where the camera started out on the earth and then panned back from the earth as though traveling
out through space and catching up with those radio signals and you heard sound bytes of old time radio shows. Couldn't happen.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 12, 2018 7:59 pm 

Damn, Bill.

I hate when the laws of physics ruin a good fantasy.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 1:52 am 

There are tapes of postwar or 60s or later stuff popping up from time to time but the old discs, who knows.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 23, 2018 6:01 pm 

I stumbled across American Radio Theater a couple of weeks ago,

amerad.libsyn.com

One of the episodes near the top has an introduction and they talk about their re-creating shows from original scripts, where the original recordings have been lost. You can tell the recordings are modern, but they follow those scripts pretty well.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 4:21 am 

Facebook has a group called Radio Transcription disks. Having a stack of disks here myself, I thought this group would be interesting so I signed up.

Unbelievable the stuff that's being uncovered every day! Some of the members post programming for download. To be honest, I simply don't have the time to keep track of it all, but there is post after post after post of "Here is another program that I believe is not in general circulation." Some programs are well-known, others are obscure. Plus, someone posts a list every week of "Here's this week's featured programs." Again, far too much for me to keep track of.

Something that I DID download was a copy of "The War Of The Worlds" from 10 78 rpm disks. Parts of it have excellent audio, parts are not as good, but the cool thing is that it is totally uncut, containing passages that are not found in the circulated recordings. What's circulating is copies of copies, with portions missing, possibly as they moved from one disk to the next. There are people there that plan to take the cleanest audio from the various sources, recreating the program with the best audio possible, while ending up with a complete unedited recording of the entire program. Don't know when or if we'll see it, but it's interesting to find that several different recordings of this program exist.

Me, personally, what do I have? Almost every episode of Frontier Town, including the first episode, and most of these disks are in superb condition. I also have various programs of 15 minutes of bands, and some disks containing music -- World Broadcasting disks. I've got a Muzak 16" disk containing about 50 commercials for Royal Crown Cola. The disk is severely scratched and filthy; I've cleaned it up to the point where I can play a lot of these, and it will be a challenge to extract a decent recording, then digitally clean it up. Great practice!

Then I have several acetates. Various items, I know some are speeches by Senator Everett Dirksen, but these are in poor shape with portions peeling off. Can't do much with them except keep them stored; maybe someday I'll try to extract parts of them.

I'll add this: Bob Merritt is on the group. He runs the internet station for old time radio, and I'm sure a lot of these uncovered recordings are finding their way to his station. I personally think his station is the absolute best in terms of good audio quality. Most of his shows are crystal clear audio.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 06, 2019 3:17 am 

Here's a link: http://conyersradio.net/
Sound s good but the acid test is listening to Tales of the Texas Rangers. The programs I've heard are pretty distorted.

Terry

PostPosted: Jul Sat 06, 2019 1:29 pm 

I don't use facebok, is there no website for this group? I'd love to check it out but not interested in using FB to do so.
Tom

PostPosted: Jul Sat 06, 2019 4:41 pm 

TJM70 wrote:
I don't use facebok, is there no website for this group? I'd love to check it out but not interested in using FB to do so.
Tom

That's a little like saying, "I want to buy some cans of soup, but I refuse to enter the grocery store." Facebook is as big or small as you want it to be. Are there forums on old time radio? Well, you're already in this one, but I don't know of others.

With Facebook, if unfamiliar, you simply sign up. You may post as much or as little as you wish. You can find friends -- me for example, or buddies from high school, or neighbors. Send friend requests, they confirm, and now you're talking. When you post, your friends see it. When they post, you see theirs. There are also "Groups" you can become a member of, for cars, school reunions, or in this case, radio transcriptions. You can watch whatever the others post in the group, whether you're "Friends" with them or not. In this particular group, there are a few folks who regularly post recordings of programming that they've recently found. I rarely listen, mainly due to lack of time, but these can be quite interesting. Plus you'll learn quite a bit about the types of disks, how to care for them, which needles to use, etc. If you're interested in this, it's well worth joining Facebook just to get into the group.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 1:19 am 

There's no shortage of Tech Execs who don't use / won't allow their families to use various social media. I always ask myself why? If you aren't the customer, you must be the product.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/23/never-get-high-on-your-own-supply-why-social-media-bosses-dont-use-social-media

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 6:41 pm 

I certainly don't want to hijack this thread into an internet issue, but Facebook is generally harmless -- except for a little responsibility required.

Here on the Antique Radio forum, I could say something offensive or derogatory, maybe even unaware that it is that bad, and a moderator will step in, delete the message, and probably send me a notice of some sort. Do the same on Facebook and it's out there forever (unless you immediately rein it in by deleting your own message -- but even then the cat's out of the bag). If you were in front of a microphone, what would you say to everyone in the city? Nice conversation about responsible things. Do the same on Facebook.

To be honest, I've had a few friends on Facebook that have surprised me -- spouting off 25 messages per day on disgusting subjects, using language that's a bit surprising, etc. If I don't want to unfriend them, I can unfollow them and stop receiving those messages. Don't need that crap. But then you hear about somebody not getting a job, or even being fired, for posting things on Facebook or other such places. Yeah, after reading some of those posts from "Friends", I'm sure not surprised. BTW, you don't have to "post" anything at all; just read the mail if you wish. But chatting with this group is not unlike chatting with the nice folks right here.

Maybe I should ask, is there anyone else reading this that's also on the "Transcription disks" group on Facebook?

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 7:14 pm 

Here's a taste of what you'll find there:

Attachment:
transcriptions.JPG
transcriptions.JPG [ 202.21 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 2:43 pm 

So to put this thread back on track, I have about 200 open reels that I purchased at a resale shop in Athens Ohio, they were donated by the local University radio station every one of them has many shows of You Bet Your Life, with dates I haven't actually seriously got into listening to them yet but when I do I'll let everybody know what I have... Hopefully maybe they'll be a lost audio, that doesn't exist anymore. There are also several that list interviews with the Stars... Wouldn't it be great if some of those contained Ohio University programs with let's say Jack Benny, or maybe some other famous Radio Star I won't be able to get to these until this fall or winter by then my machine will be restored and I will post the list of what I have

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 8:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
TJM70 wrote:
There's no shortage of Tech Execs who don't use / won't allow their families to use various social media. I always ask myself why? If you aren't the customer, you must be the product.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/23/never-get-high-on-your-own-supply-why-social-media-bosses-dont-use-social-media

Facebook is full of antique radio "stuff" including discussion groups, old radio shows, old tv shows, buy-sell groups etc. If , you are the sort of person with no self control who will turn into an addict there .... don't go. But if you are a normal person, in control of yourself and your life then it's like going to the store to buy a can of soup.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 19, 2019 7:39 pm 

I just found a cassette I made back in the 80s with a local, local, local show starring WHJB's Cowboy Phil sometime late 1940s. I transferred it from 78rpm transcriptions and the discs disappeared when the station closed. Other side of the tape has Wilkins Amateur Hour - local Pittsburgh show from 16" discs December post-war 40's.

Not exactly groundbreaking shows, but, otherwise lost even by me prior to last week. I'm going to digitize and share when I get a chance.