Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 13, 2020 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting audio on an old LP record
PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 3:42 am 

At the YouTube link below is a very short clip that I uploaded of what sounds like radio communication traffic at the end of track 3 on side A of a 1950’s DANA #1218 LP of Polish Christmas carols (Koledy).

https://youtu.be/vdsxG2tBIPY

This is the first time I’ve ever come across anything like this on an LP.

I have another copy of this LP that does not have it, so I believe that the unwanted audio found its way onto the recording during the cutting of one of the many acetate discs needed to make the large number of stampers required to produce a large quantity of LP's.

Any one else ever come across anything like this?

Post subject: Re: Interesting audio on an old LP record
PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 6:20 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Matt Kroll wrote:
Any one else ever come across anything like this?
Going through a lot of old AFRTS transcriptions from the 40s and 50s to restore, most of which were cut at subcontractor studios to all the major labels in Midtown Manhattan - I can only guess that the original recording lathe for that particular acetate was either inside of or near a radio station.

I have a pressing of the Willie Wonka and animated Hanna Barbera Charlotte's Web original Paramount label LP soundtrack where half of the 2nd side has a faint 60 hz buzz in it going into the lockout groove at the end along with what sounds like DJ chatter over the top of it.

The two are completely different chatters being two years apart - but somebody must have caught it and re-cut it because the later pressings on Paramount (different type font on the label but still tan) don't have it - none of the blue label pressings have it and none of the MCA pressings have it to my knowledge either.

There's also an early TRW Bell Sound pressing of Free to be You and Me with faint radio chatter which was cut at 54th and 5th in NYC right underneath all kinds of radio transmitters there in Midtown Manhattan.

Since a lot of radio stations in those days had their own lathes - a lot of small and or local record companies would cut their lacquers there for a lot cheaper than either (especially in the days before tape) traveling to the Coast to record (or Chicago or Nashville) or sending tape to the Coast to be cut in dedicated facilities.

A lot of the time the radio station would not be clear channel and would go off at night leaving the recording studios and lathes free for other projects.

I'm guessing whoever cut this was doing so after 5:30 in the morning and ran out of time when the station began its' broadcast day.

At such a low -60-ish dB level - I'm sure most people would never have picked it up and it would have passed by QC easily.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 28, 2020 12:26 am 

ndiamone wrote:
Going through a lot of old AFRTS transcriptions from the 40s and 50s to restore, most of which were cut at subcontractor studios to all the major labels in Midtown Manhattan - I can only guess that the original recording lathe for that particular acetate was either inside of or near a radio station.
Thanks for the information on your own findings. I think you're on the right track here. It may not be from a broadcast radio station, since the voice can be heard saying "This is 8 4 over." It may have even come from a mobile 2-way radio.

The Dana Music company was a huge label. In the late 40's and early 50's they sold more records than Capitol or Decca. They too were in New York City (on 47th street). Dana pressed their own records, but I'm not sure if it was done from the 47th St. address.

One thing's for certain: some unknown soul had his communications preserved for posterity on 100,000+ copies of this LP!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 30, 2020 5:11 am 

Not an LP, but I have a Moody Blues cassette from the early 70's that has about 20 seconds of what sounds like a radio station DJ talking at the end of the last song. Really low volume.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 9:33 am 

It's called "ambient." :)
Have a listen to Thomas Dolby's "The Flat Earth." The background airport announcements are intentional. I wonder if they were inspired by some RF interference mishaps. Anyway, The Flat Earth is one of my all time favorite LP's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 5:07 am 

Thank you for sharing,thats interesting!!