Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 27, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 500H and H-1 - different "Zenith" labels?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 3:33 am 

I bought a second Zenith 500H transistor radio to recap and noticed this one has a different “Zenith” appliqué on the top. First one I did (a 500H-1) has a solid brushed metallic emblem but second one (500H) is more like a tinted clear label applied over white paper. Every pic of 500Hs I look at on the internet, the label is brushed metallic. The loose clear label just fell right off so I was going to clean up everything and reapply it with clear adhesive or something but not sure if that was original. Anybody more knowledgeable about 500Hs out there who knows? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Zenith 500H and H-1 - different "Zenith" labels?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 4:57 am 

I have a 500H which had exactly the same thing happen ! This radio had severe battery leakage, was in a closed box, and am guessing that the fumes penetrated the edges of the laminated label and dissolved the very thin foil in between over a long period of time---what else could have caused it unless the foil itself was contaminated when label was made ?

Recently found gold ribbon in Christmas items that has similar grain to original label foil, but need to find a way to reattach the clear outer layer to it...

John

PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 5:03 am 

The white 500H has the original cellophane sticker. The black one on the right has the non original. I don't know if Zenith issued the paper one,or if that's an aftermarket thing. One interesting note,the white 500H's tend to chip more than the black ones. Don't ask me why. The two tone light blue/dark blue ones can chip too,but for some strange reason the white ones seem most susceptible to chipping. Please forgive the dark photo. I don't have an H-1. The 500H has smaller IF's and an audio transformer. The H-1 has larger IF's,but less than the 500H,and doesn't have the audio transformer. This was done to save $
Some of the H's don't have the blue dot on the volume knob,or it has faded? The white one plays very well with its original radial capacitors.

Attachments:
20200126_212125.jpg
20200126_212125.jpg [ 854.95 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]
20200126_213633_resize_50.jpg
20200126_213633_resize_50.jpg [ 596.46 KiB | Viewed 541 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 5:59 am 

Looks like the black set on the right has one of those reproduction labels...

Below is what happened with one of my set's labels---the gold tint on vinyl outer layer is very slight, probably stained from the dissolved foil. And that clear outer layer is very well made, not cheaply printed...

John

Attachments:
ARF 500H LABEL PCS.jpg
ARF 500H LABEL PCS.jpg [ 252.01 KiB | Viewed 533 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 6:48 am 

Yeah my 500H is just like that last pic, white backing and tinted label. So the foil just completely rotted away? I'll work on duplicating the look of the original foil with something like that ribbon or brushed metalized mylar film and apply it to the paper and figure out what to use to adhere the label so it looks clean and not splotchy.
As for the blue dot on the volume dial, my 500H-1 the insert was missing but the dial has a white paint notch so perhaps they did that instead of the blue dot on that version? I just put gold foil on both volume dials since you can barely see the face of that dial anyway. I have a regular 500 but even the H-1 is tons better tuning and sound-wise. I think I'm getting 'hooked' on these 500Hs, they sound amazing for their size.