Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 28, 2020 12:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Playing copy-protected DVDs on old TVs - a solution
PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:09 pm 

I use a couple of Set-Top converters if I actually watch something on one of my old TV sets. It is feeding the antenna terminals and no MacroCrap.

If I am working on a set I use the B&K analyzer and have a steady test pattern as it is hard to do much with a moving picture on the screen especially a projection set.

There were some pre-recorded DVD's that played steady test signals.

We bought a large number of movies recorded on DVD and have almost never put one in the player to watch.

Jim

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 5:48 pm 

Another option would be to use a computer to transfer the DVD files onto a USB thumb drive, then plug the drive I to a converter box/ DVR combo.

Some DTV converter boxes have DVR capability where they record onto a USB thumb drive or hard drive.... those boxes ofen also have media players built in and can play anything on the USB drive. Many of those boxes also have RF and or composite video output and lack the ability to add macrovision to the output....kind of a all in one solution if you don't own analog based recording mediums anymore.

You can also achieve the same with an older PC that has a graphics card with S-video output or a newer one with HDMI feeding a HDMI to composite Video converter.

These days most of our applications are edge cases or technically deep enough that nobody advertises their equipment as being good for it....So it pays to dig into the capabilities of everything out there and see what is the best thing to bend to our purposes.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 6:22 pm 

ac wrote:
If you have a DVD player with a HDMI output (or any Bly-Ray player), you could use a HDMI to composite video adapter. This should provide a clean video signal since there is no Macrovision on HDMI.

That is ok for color TVs, but for B/W TVs a better signal can be had by using a HDMI to S-video converter and use the luma signal which is the standard B/W signal.

I used the S-video out of my older laptop fed to a B/W TV I modded with a video input and got a much better signal than I did using a composite output.

I suppose the luma signal could be plugged into an agile modulator as well.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 11, 2020 6:57 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:

Yes. Luma is just standard composite video minus the color info....Or the same as all composite video prior to Color being standardized by the FCC in December of 1953.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 12:33 pm 

This is an old hat problem. In Australia, between drinking Fosters beer, driving Holden cars and eating meat pies, we noticed that the Macrovision pulses in copy protected DVD's and VHS tapes caused chaos, not only on VHS to DVD and DVD to DVD dubs, but also on vintage TV's.

So after we sobered up (when the Fosters wore off) we designed Dr. Video:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/dr-video-enha ... e/p/KC5390

This strips off the Macrovision (copy protection) pulses and makes for a much more stable video signal.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 5:34 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
ac wrote:
If you have a DVD player with a HDMI output (or any Bly-Ray player), you could use a HDMI to composite video adapter. This should provide a clean video signal since there is no Macrovision on HDMI.

That is ok for color TVs, but for B/W TVs a better signal can be had by using a HDMI to S-video converter and use the luma signal which is the standard B/W signal.

I used the S-video out of my older laptop fed to a B/W TV I modded with a video input and got a much better signal than I did using a composite output.

A HDMI to component converter would also work if you use the luma (green) jack and set the player to 480i over HDMI.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 6:05 pm 

ac wrote:
A HDMI to component converter would also work if you use the luma (green) jack and set the player to 480i over HDMI.

Cool.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 47 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3