Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 25, 2020 6:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Other uses for the AM band
PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 9:08 pm 

WSB doesnt call out its AM frequency any longer only the FM numbers

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 9:22 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
A guy who belongs to the Orange County Woodworkers tells me that he believes that AM is going away because others want to frequencies.

Well if anyone would know, it's a Woodworker! :)

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 9:45 pm 

KB4QAA wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
A guy who belongs to the Orange County Woodworkers tells me that he believes that AM is going away because others want to frequencies.

Well if anyone would know, it's a Woodworker! :)

Right. Next thing they'll be sayin' is that I shouldn't get my stock tips from the Barber! :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 12:20 am 

Only if he's a wealthy barber.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 7:00 am 

He has some connection to the FCC. I will ask the next time I see him.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 8:06 pm 

I'll say up front that the AM BCB will probably not go away for a number
of reasons, but here's an idea if it ever did;

Create a new class of hobby license for 'neighborhood broadcasting'.
This would be dramatically different from ham or CB where broadcasting
is not legal. It'd be a license open to people that want to continue
the legacy of AM broadcasting but on a local scale with tight limits
on transmitter power, bandwidth, operating times and antenna.
Something like 10 watts, 7.5 KC and a resonant loop antenna.
Suspect this would get a lot of kids (young and old) into radio
and result in some very good and unique programming.

Doubt the FCC would ever consider something like this as it'd be
a bear to enforce. But fun to think about.
Steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 12:27 am 

I can only come up with about 4700 reasons why the AM band isn't going anywhere :wink:

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 7:05 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

The AM band may not be going away, but the idiots are trying to convert it to all-digital transmission. NAB and some other big names in broadcasting think this will "save" the AM band. Most likely, it will kill it altogether. The reasoning they put forward is ludicrous... like it is necessary to preserve local programming in small communities. As if small communities were likely to rush out and buy expensive all-digital AM radios just to hear local programming. If they were interested, they would listen on AM... and if they are not, converting to a digital transmission technique won't make them any more interested... they'll just note that the AM band has "gone dark" and switch their listening to FM.

In 2016, I wrote a suggestion for turning parts of the AM band over to hobby broadcasters similar to what Zarco just suggested. It is to be found on page 2 of this thread near the bottom:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... r&start=20

I still think it would be a good idea.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 7:23 am 

The AM dial in southern California is full precisely because "small" communities, such as people from China, want stations and listen with the radios they have. It is obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain that all digital would kill most of AM.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 7:40 am 

I understand that most AM radio listening is and has been done in cars for quite sometime. No one would pay a cent more in order to listen to news, weather, traffic reports and sports in digital vs the current analog system.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 10:17 am 

Indeed, and they would not pay to replace all of the car radios with new ones which receive the digital stuff. Some newer cars already can receive the digital stuff, but there are many millions of cars with radios which do not.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 28, 2020 4:12 am 

I think many have forgotten the biggest problem with digital signals. Unless you're really close to the tower it's no good. If you think weak FM is bad,try digital. This is the entire reason to listen to analog AM. It's reliable. Most people can forgive the lack of high fidelity if they don't have to worry about losing the signal every time they go around a corner, like streaming music with your phone. The people already listening to AM are obviously satisfied with it or they wouldn't be listening to it. I don't believe digital AM would attract new listeners. I agree with everyone that nobody wants to buy new digital receivers. There's a reason analog has worked since the beginning of radio...

PostPosted: Mar Sat 28, 2020 5:12 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I actually wrote a letter to the editor of RadioWorld pointing out the folly of this idea after reading the following article:

https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gea ... 1531257276

Here's the text of my letter:

Editor, RadioWorld
radioworld@futurenet.com

James K. Thorusen
Chief Engineer
Central Coast Electronics
http://www.centcoast.com
Your Western Oregon Choice for
Contract Broadcast Engineering Support

Dear Editor:

I just finished looking over your latest report on the comments by California and Missouri broadcasters concerning the change to all-digital AM. Specifically, the notion that "Broadcasting associations say the move is vital to locales where AM is the most relevant source of local news."

Say what?!

How many citizens of those small locales are going to rush out and buy new radios just so thay can hear an AM digital broadcast? What a pipe dream! All that will happen is that for most of the citizens, the AM band will have gone dark and they will simply go to FM, which most receivers are already equipped to copy. If they are really interested in local news and features, they will listen to the AM band as is. If not, converting to a format that will require them to go out and buy a pricey new radio will hardly inspire them to change their listening habits.

Let's get back to basics. There are large amounts of spectrum already allocated for hauling digital signals in various services. Most of these are at VHF and higher, for obvious reasons of bandwidth and other considerations. So what would happen if all of a sudden, radio was newly invented and we could start with a clean sheet with no spectrum assignments? Who is going to suggest 600 to 1600 KHz as prime digital spectrum? No one in their right mind. The spectrum would be allocated much as it is now.

The current AM band is pretty well suited to analog amplitude modulation.... and is wholly unsuited for any other type of service. The simplicity of detection makes AM a prime and ideal distribution medium for emergencies.... note that I say AM, not QUAM, COFDM, 8VSB or any other digital format. The installed base of AM receivers together with the simplicity of constructing detectors in an emergency is a paramount reason to leave AM alone.

A change to an all-digital transmission method will not make up for lack-luster programming, repetitive canned formats and similar problems that have listeners tuning out. What it will do is obsolete a huge base of existing receivers and provide no service that cannot be better done with other techniques at other frequencies.

If you really want to revitalize the AM band, turn at least part of it over to the hobby broadcasters as they seem to be doing in some parts of Europe. Reserve some clear channels for 50KW plus power-houses to broadcast in cases of national emergency. For the rest of the small stations, let them realize the proffit to be made from selling their large-size antenna plots and retire.

Digital transmission in the medium frequency band is just plain silly.

Regards,
James K. Thorusen
Chief Engineer
Central Coast Electronics
jthorusen@centcoast.com
Your Western Oregon Choice for
Contract Broadcast Engineering Support

However, most articles in Radioworld would seem to indicate it is a done deal.... I hope not.

Regards,

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2