Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 28, 2020 2:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Found something that fit
PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 9:47 pm 

I have a Fisher Regent console that had a empty spot where a R2R was supposed to go... I figured I would never find the correct one, so I found this Panasonic the exact same one used in magnavox. It just barely fits... as seen in the picture, the 7 in reels clear the sides by millimeters.the original players must have been small for these units.

Attachments:
20200325_163845.jpg
20200325_163845.jpg [ 4.3 MiB | Viewed 613 times ]

Post subject: Re: Found something that fit
PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 1:32 am 

Cool!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 2:45 am 

The original tape deck likely had the reel spindles a bit closer to each other, which would give extra space at the outer edges. I've seen a few over the years which have little clearance between the reels at the middle of the deck.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 7:08 pm 

Yep I have seen them as well but it wasn't just the sides... the shut lid clears by millimeters as well , I have heard they used various models of R2R in their consoles , ampex and sony comes to mind , just no specific model numbers ... the total height of the machine can't exceed 6 " that is a pretty short deck or made for a specific one. I had to remove the rubber feet on this one just to get the lid to shut , then experimented with wood shims to get the thing not to wobble on the motor cage that sticks out the bottom...lol

PostPosted: Mar Thu 26, 2020 8:10 pm 

I would guess that in the OE application the case is removed from the tape recorder and the motorboard is cut out so the recorder can sit directly on it, like the way the turntable is mounted. That would give you a lot of vertical clearance. As for horizontal clearance, it seems like this deck has the reels mounted quite far to the sides, probably to allow clearance for what looks like the speed lever between the reels.

-David

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 12:55 am 

Normally I would agree , but in this case the R2R sits on top of the acoustic speaker chamber , ...talking to a couple fisher owners on tapeheads they did make special units to sit in the empty space, I was told one model used was ampex that had a self threading feature I think was a 1100 model? they made a few different models.... but I think finding one would be tough... or expensive ... this one will do for now, but I will keep looking ...

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 1:29 am 

Here is the AMPEX 1100. I can't imagine how it would fit the width you have available.

-David

Attachments:
ampex1100a.jpg
ampex1100a.jpg [ 106.75 KiB | Viewed 473 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 2:54 pm 

I know, the people I talked to claim the self threading ampex was used , but i doubt it was used in all of them, I have reached out to any Fisher owners to see if they would know , was also told Fisher had their own branded players , but no idea who mfg them... or how many there were produced , here is a picture from the fisher web site showing a R2R in my console ... has to be rare as hens teeth ....
http://www.fisherconsoles.com/regent%20r592.html

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 4:01 pm 

The TR in the sketch looks vaguely familiar but I can't place it. Not Ampex. I'll look around and see if something pops up on the web that looks like that.

-David

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 9:24 pm 

Guy on Tapeheads told me Tandbergs were some of the units fisher used... and it makes sense the size looks right ... but which model they used ? I have no idea

PostPosted: Mar Fri 27, 2020 9:59 pm 

I first thought of Tandberg so I went and looked at them, not close.

-David