Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 07, 2020 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Raytheon 8TP-2 "temporary" home-made chassis project...
PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 11:41 pm 

Steve, the original Raytheon transistors in RF/IF stages were CK760's. But aside from the oscillator circuit (which is copied from original), Other than the original Raytheon IF & audio transformers, the mixer, IF amp, and audio circuits closely match the Zenith Royal 275. The oscillator transistor is also an original CK760 (now). The detector diode came from the Zenith Royal 41 parts set as did all transistors except P-P output pair.

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 5:40 pm 

John - I thought of finding a leather belt that I could slip over a metal handle that I could fabricate for the Raytheon 8TP that I have which is missing its handle. - Mark

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 6:26 pm 

Mark---I'm looking for a strip of 1/16" thick brass to bend to same shape as original and polish for "temporary" handle until suitable leather can be found to make cover. Think the polished brass would look great with the gold anodized grilles...

Of course, can't do any searching away from home right now with this ***discussion not permitted*** mess...

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 6:32 pm 

Is there any way to easily restore tarnished metalic surfaces ?

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 8:06 pm 

radiotechnician wrote:
Is there any way to easily restore tarnished metalic surfaces ?

Depends on the metal to be restored, desired level of finish (simply put - shiny vs polished) and what you mean by "easy".

Always check the surface first to determine if there is any finish (such as plating) that may be removed by these processes.

I guess the easiest method would be a chemical dip. Copper, brass and silver respond well to this method.
Some products sold that serve this purpose are Brasso, Tarn-X and Hagerty Instant Silver dip.

There are many home made solutions (dips and pastes) that incorporate baking soda, vinegar and other caustic ingredients.
Be careful when mixing. Some of these concoctions are dangerous to breathe.

A metal polish that works well on most metals is "Blue Magic". It will require buffing to bring out the shine.
Semichrome and "Mothers" polishes are highly recommended for aluminum.
Expect to use a lot of elbow grease if you are polishing by hand. A buffing wheel on a grinder machine works wonders.

Good old sandpaper and steel wool in various grits / grades work well on straight surfaces to give a brushed finish
or to bring the surface quality to a level where it is ready for polishing.

Lastly, there is "jeweler's rouge". Available in varous grits and formulas for different metals.
You will also require various buffing wheels to apply the rouge properly.

Also keep in mind that there are services that do chemical stripping and plating, but it will probably cost ya.

As always, google is your friend!

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 7:51 pm 

Quote: As always, google is your friend!

:D
Attachment:
Googles friend.jpg
Googles friend.jpg [ 815.46 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 12:48 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Mark---I'm looking for a strip of 1/16" thick brass to bend to same shape as original and polish for "temporary" handle until suitable leather can be found to make cover. Think the polished brass would look great with the gold anodized grilles...

Of course, can't do any searching away from home right now with this ***discussion not permitted*** mess...

John

I think brass will be disappointing in this application, and very prone to bending. I would suggest 6061 T6 aluminum, it will be tougher and probably cheaper.

Brett

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 4:35 am 

Brett_Buck wrote:
xrhonda91 wrote:

John

I think brass will be disappointing in this application, and very prone to bending. I would suggest 6061 T6 aluminum, it will be tougher and probably cheaper.

Brett

Good luck bending 6061 T6 without it cracking. In the T4 to T6 hardness range - the bending ability decreases.
One should anneal it first, then re-harden to T6 after it is bent.

I second using brass bar stock, although 1/8" is the thickness I would use.
It would also be a better color match for the Raytheon case ( if left uncovered).

Here's a shot of John's Hoffman rebuild. Now that is a nice handle!

Attachments:
ARF HOF SOLAR COLLECTION.jpg
ARF HOF SOLAR COLLECTION.jpg [ 279.44 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 4:03 pm 

livewire54 wrote:

Good luck bending 6061 T6 without it cracking. In the T4 to T6 hardness range - the bending ability decreases.
One should anneal it first, then re-harden to T6 after it is bent.

I have never had any problem with it, including bending it more than once in one place. If you go below a critical radius, then, yes, but as long as you stay above that, no real problem.

I would think brass is just too soft for this purpose, particularly 1/16.

Brett

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 89 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5