Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 29, 2020 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A.W.A.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 2:41 am 

I've been reading a lot of OTB's lately and am wondering why they moved out of the very nice colonial building they once had. My guess would be shrinking membership leading to tighter budgets forced them to move. As a former business owner, I was wondering why, during their heyday, they didn't build a endowment like university's do so they could stay in their old building. Did they try and fail? I would find it hard to believe all those smart guys wouldn't have thought of it back then. Do they have an endowment now for the future? What's the story?

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

Post subject: Re: A.W.A.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 3:02 am 

The American Wrestling Association (AWA) was an American professional wrestling promotion based in Minneapolis that ran from 1960 to 1991

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 3:26 am 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
I've been reading a lot of OTB's lately and am wondering why they moved out of the very nice colonial building they once had. My guess would be shrinking membership leading to tighter budgets forced them to move. As a former business owner, I was wondering why, during their heyday, they didn't build a endowment like university's do so they could stay in their old building. Did they try and fail? I would find it hard to believe all those smart guys wouldn't have thought of it back then. Do they have an endowment now for the future? What's the story?

They outgrew it. They now have a campus of several buildings and are still doing construction.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 3:28 am 

I looked up A.W.A. on Wikipedia and this was what was listed:

AWA may be an abbreviation for:

Adam Walsh Act
Advancing Women Artists Foundation
Africa World Airlines
Africa Wrestling Alliance, a wrestling organization
All Writs Act
Aluminium wire armour, an electrical cable
Amalgamated Weavers' Association
Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia), a telecommunications manufacturer
America West Airlines
American Whitewater
American Wrestling Association, a former wrestling organization
American Writers Association, a literary organization
Anarchism without adjectives, a school of anarchist thought
Animal Welfare Act (disambiguation), several laws
Anime Weekend Atlanta, an annual anime convention located in Georgia
Apparent wind angle, the angle of the wind experienced by a moving object
Australian Web Archive, an online database of archived Australian websites
Australian workplace agreement, an employment contract
AWA Tower, Sydney, Australia
Awadhi language

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 3:30 am 

There's always a few that you need to explain things more clearly to and speak s-l-o-w-l-y to. :roll:

:wink:

When I visited it was just the one building as far a I knew and none of the docents at the museum mentioned any other buildings I could go through. Admittedly at the time I didn't research the AWA much, just got the address off the internet and stopped in on my vacation.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 4:34 am 

The nice old colonial building was owned by the town, and the space was leased by the AWA (Antique Wireless Association).
We made great use of that space until 2014.

We moved east a couple miles away into 4 buildings that are wheelchair accessible- the old location was located on the 2nd & 3rd floors and was not wheelchair accessible.

Been hanging out at the AWA since 1974, 10 years after I started collecting old radios.

I still look forward to driving 95 miles each way to attend the work day on Tuesdays, just like 20 -30 other
crazy old men like me.

The old OTB's and AWA Reviews are a gold mine of information that can not be matched anywhere as to knowledge and accuracy on the history of wireless & radio.

Here is a link to their website; https://antiquewireless.org/homepage/

73 Jim

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 4:47 am 
Site Admin

atwaterkent1 wrote:
What's the story?

https://antiquewireless.org/homepage/museum-history/

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 6:10 pm 

atwaterkent1 wrote:
There's always a few that you need to explain things more clearly to and speak s-l-o-w-l-y to. :roll:

And there's always a few who would rather mock people that spend less time helping them by typing out the meaning of yet another three letter acronym. But thankfully there are few who will help, I guess they are under the mistaken impression that helping is what this forum is about?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 6:15 pm 

The AWA is very alive and well. It has moved up to a world class operation due to the many diversified efforts of many volunteers. If you haven't been to the museum in Bloomfield you are missing it.
Sure the Flea Market has dropped off but that trend is universal these days.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 7:46 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:
What's the story?

https://antiquewireless.org/homepage/museum-history/

Thanks Alan.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 7:49 pm 

khutch wrote:
atwaterkent1 wrote:

And there's always a few who would rather mock people that spend less time helping them by typing out the meaning of yet another three letter acronym. But thankfully there are few who will help, I guess they are under the mistaken impression that helping is what this forum is about?

If you were on here more often, you'd know that Greg and I have a lot of fun joking with each other and that my comment was in jest.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Aug Sun 02, 2020 4:57 pm 

If you visited when the AWA first moved to the new building, you missed a lot - about of a third of the building was used for the museum at that point - it's been expanded twice since, and a further expansion (adding the ham shack) is in the works, mostly funded last I heard. The collection includes artifacts from Morse, Marconi, Armstrong, many others. Displays include a Zenith Stratosphere, VOA console and most of the transmitter, many international and domestic radios, 1920s radio store, the first cellular phone ever built and perhaps the first transistor radio from Bell labs - all are donations. Other buildings are shop, storage, and offices, the library is behind the museum on the top floor, manuals and storage on the first floor. I've given a few tours of the whole complex, when people had the time, though it would have to be on a Tuesday when all areas are open. We are reopening on Tuesday for visits by appointment only - details on the main AWA page - 5 days advance notice will ensure we can get volunteers in. Appointments are available Tuesday through Saturday; I don't know when the usual Tuesday and Saturday hours will resume (Most AWA volunteers and many visitors are in high risk groups).

PostPosted: Aug Sun 02, 2020 8:30 pm 

It is a fine operation. I wish it was in a major city which is an airline HUB so more people could visit.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 05, 2020 10:35 pm 

Tom Bavis wrote:
If you visited when the AWA first moved to the new building, you missed a lot - about of a third of the building was used for the museum at that point - it's been expanded twice since, and a further expansion (adding the ham shack) is in the works, mostly funded last I heard. The collection includes artifacts from Morse, Marconi, Armstrong, many others. Displays include a Zenith Stratosphere, VOA console and most of the transmitter, many international and domestic radios, 1920s radio store, the first cellular phone ever built and perhaps the first transistor radio from Bell labs - all are donations. Other buildings are shop, storage, and offices, the library is behind the museum on the top floor, manuals and storage on the first floor. I've given a few tours of the whole complex, when people had the time, though it would have to be on a Tuesday when all areas are open. We are reopening on Tuesday for visits by appointment only - details on the main AWA page - 5 days advance notice will ensure we can get volunteers in. Appointments are available Tuesday through Saturday; I don't know when the usual Tuesday and Saturday hours will resume (Most AWA volunteers and many visitors are in high risk groups).

Thanks for the update Tom.

Museum Curator