Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 26, 2020 2:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Fisher Studio Standard CA-800... Help?
PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 3:46 am 

So.. i popped the top off my amp one day and something dropped down into the amp.. something somewhere must have shorted or grounded where it didn't need to because when it did, the left power meter (Left Analog VU Meter) Spiked and the Peak meter also spiked but the right channel didn't do anything, i heard this somewhat loud 60Hz mains hum come from the left channel, it popped and then went completely silent. behind the meters under a circuit board i found a big red resistor or transistor? (<<< I have no idea) was discolored and blackened and de-soldered itself from the board, before i did i could smell burning.. now i knew what it was.. even though it went silent, the left channel meters always spike when the relay switch clicks when the amp board turns on after pressing the power button. i removed the fuse for the left channel so i didnt have to see it pop anymore, it wont output any sound either... so what may be wrong with it internally to cause this even though i removed the bit that fell into the amp?

Post subject: Re: Vintage Fisher Studio Standard CA-800... Help?
PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2020 1:35 pm 

You've blown an STK Hybrid Amplifier for the left channel, it seems. Hard to find genuine replacements, as they've been long obsolete by Sanyo. Pop the strap off the STK module (mounted on the back panel) and post the number - someone here may have one.

BTW, those STK amps are VERy easy to blow. Make sure you invert your unit and give it a good shake to remove whatever was dropped inside.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 01, 2020 3:40 pm 

Which module is needed for this model?
There is a local store here in Toronto with Fisher branded PA-301 modules in stock.

Joe

PostPosted: Aug Mon 03, 2020 4:52 am 

Also I dont live near Toronto.. I live in the place of corn as we know is ohio :lol:

PostPosted: Aug Fri 07, 2020 11:38 am 

If you need local Ohio service, Stereo Lab Service in Columbus. If it is, in fact, the STK module, they have a variety, so if needed hopefully they'll have yours.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 07, 2020 2:27 pm 

That takes the STK-0080, pretty inexpensive, here is a seller in Penn offering a pair at $20. Plug in modules.
Though you would be well advised to investigate beyond this for any shorted and fried components.
I repaired a Pioneer earlier in the year that a rogue staple was laying the circuit board, fell in the top case vents.
The luck side would be obvious burnt parts, but they are not always so presentable to the eye.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-STK008 ... SwT~hfGoI6

edit:
A "Sanyo" search for stk-0080:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... &_osacat=0

BUY USA !!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 07, 2020 3:40 pm 

No, it takes the STK0080A - important to discern this point. Not the STK0080 or STK0080 II

Attachment:
STK0080A.gif
STK0080A.gif [ 27.64 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

Lots of folks go and buy and install an STK0080 or STK0080II and wonder why things aren't right. The "A" is a higher gain amp module (it's just a darlington pair. SFS Corporation (Sanyo-Fisher) was the only supplier for the STK0080A - Sanyo made them, and limited their use to their own products. Tricky, eh? :evil:

Even the STK0080 and STK0080 II are two very different modules, and NOT interchangeable with either nor the STK0080A.

Attachment:
STK0080 vs STK0080II.gif
STK0080 vs STK0080II.gif [ 28.03 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

I repaired quite a few of those "integrated Amps" - folks HAD to have them, as the amp powered the separate tuner and cassette deck. No AMp, and neither of those worked.......

Me, unless I had to have the amp to power the tuner and dexk, I'd abandon the repair - the parts simply aren't available unless from a donor unit (that would likely be working....)

EDIT: ADded second image......

PostPosted: Aug Fri 07, 2020 4:33 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
No, it takes the STK0080A - important to discern this point. Not the STK0080 or STK0080 II

good eye Brian