Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 26, 2021 8:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Craig's list buyer won't pick up console
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 1:53 am 

Buyer sent me full asking price for this console 11 days ago

Has since stopped communicating and will not schedule a time to pick up. Says he's dealing with a family emergency and wants to give the console to his dad for xmas.

I would like the space in the garage for another console I just purchased for myself

But I don't want to apply too much pressure and have him back out of the deal and request a refund

How long is a reasonable time to wait? Have you encountered this situation before? What would you do if a buyer who prepaid went MIA when it came time to pick up?

(I know I need to be more patient in general so part of me is just venting here)

Attachments:
IMG_5659.JPG
IMG_5659.JPG [ 723.66 KiB | Viewed 909 times ]

Post subject: Re: Craig's list buyer won't pick up console
PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 2:05 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Cover his with a thick blanket or something similar to protect it and put yours on top. You've been paid and this year of all years we've had lately really is the year to have some patience, especially when you've got the cash in hand.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 2:54 am 

Brettzky99 wrote:
...and wants to give the console to his dad for xmas.

Sounds like he's going to give you the privilege to hold onto it until he's ready to present it to his dad.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 2:59 am 

RE list it for sale, when it sells refund his money.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 3:25 am 

I'm in the camp of trying to cut people some slack this year. After all the crappy stuff that has happened this year (and it's not over yet), if I can do something to make someone's year just a little bit better I will try. Especially if I already had full payment for something and just need to hold it for a while.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 4:35 am 

He'll get back to you. Cover it as suggested, tie some cardboard around it with a big red bow. :lol:

I sold a truck camper one time and waited 3 months for the kid to come and get it. His story was he had to move and then had to get to know his new landlord 1st, before he could start parking his stuff on the property, understandable.
But why not let me know? I had to track him down. Oh well, this is how they learn to get on in life.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 4:51 am 

Brettzky99 wrote:
Buyer sent me full asking price for this console 11 days ago

Says he's dealing with a family emergency and wants to give the console to his dad for xmas.

He didn't try to bargain you down, so consider the full price payment as to include temporary storage as well.

Obviously will be gone shortly before 12/25. Sometimes ya gotta give a little.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 5:34 am 

I had this happen with a vehicle I sold. They paid for it, took the title, and said they'd be back for it tomorrow. I didn't keep their contact info, so there wasn't much I could do. It sat there for a week and a half or maybe two, and one day I come home from somewhere and it was gone.

Unless it is really in the way, I would also give them some time.

If it is still sitting there after Christmas and you can't get them to pick it up, I'd be reselling it.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 7:07 am 

I dont know the payment method but if it was a good price and it couldnt backfire i'd wait it out unless it gets silly or they start lying.

that said i still have a Studebaker grill in my barn waiting for pickup 6 years after it was paid for on ebay, LOL So I guess Im patient on that stuff. Good luck!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 1:08 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
I'm in the camp of trying to cut people some slack this year. After all the crappy stuff that has happened this year (and it's not over yet), if I can do something to make someone's year just a little bit better I will try. Especially if I already had full payment for something and just need to hold it for a while.

Curtis Eickerman

+1

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 9:36 pm 

With something like that I would have made terms and conditions, as in , buyer must remove in 24 hours once sale complete. That's if I needed the space. If it didn't matter, then I'd give them until the end of the weekend unless their dog died or something. (name your excuse). Then I would give them until the next weekend and that's it or they're gonna pay storage. :twisted:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 11:38 pm 

11 Days? ahhh that is nothing. I sold my T-368 transmitter and the guy mailed me a check for full payment of $750. We agreed I would hold it a few months and then he would pick it up. After 3 years, I sold it again. The guy contacted me 5 years after initial payment and wanted his transmitter, :lol: :lol: :lol: He was disappointed when he got was a check for $750 instead.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 12:12 am 

Scott wrote:
11 Days? ahhh that is nothing. I sold my T-368 transmitter and the guy mailed me a check for full payment of $750. We agreed I would hold it a few months and then he would pick it up. After 3 years, I sold it again. The guy contacted me 5 years after initial payment and wanted his transmitter, :lol: :lol: :lol: He was disappointed when he got was a check for $750 instead.

After 5 years, I would told him to go fly a kite, and not given him a damn penny. Storage fees, ya know. :twisted:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 12:22 am 

If I had the space, I'd hang on to it at least until Christmas. I understand wanting it out of your way; but, like others have said, this has been a heck of a year and it's not nearly over with yet (and, unexpected things come up...someone in his family may have suddenly died or been in a serious accident). If it's not gone by Christmas, I'd politely tell him that it's in the way and I need it gone by (whatever date you come up with). If he hasn't gotten it by the agreed upon date, re-sell it and give him his money back (although I would be tempted to keep some of it for the trouble).

As for me, I'll work with people as long as they are straight up with me; but, if it's some bull crap reason that amounts to them just not making the time to come pick it up, I'm not going to work with them.

Years ago, I sold a console stereo to someone for $50 and he wanted to pay it out by the week. I made the mistake of telling him I'd do it; but, the stereo was staying here until it was paid for and I expected it gone within 30 days. Well, it drug around for about 4 months and when he finally picked it up, I let him know that from now on, "either you have all the money or you don't....there will be no more payments by the week."

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 3:20 am 

I had a 15' Lund aluminum boat for sale, $500, and a young Native guy came to see it, wanted it, but had only $250, could he give me the rest in 2 weeks? He would leave his BMX bike as collateral and walk home. I said ok, took a bit of a chance and took his worthless bike for collateral. He came back with a friend and they threw the boat into the truck and drove off.
That kid went out in the boat, dug clams for money, and 2 weeks later, showed up with the rest of the payment. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 1:46 pm 

A collector/dealer friend of mine had buyers in the past that pay for an item and then many months pass without a word. Other than a situation where the buyer is in the hospital, or is dealing with a catastrophic situation, he or she should run over to the seller and pick the item up. I don't see what emergency could prevent a quick early morning or evening pick-up of his item. Like they say in a court of law, you can't make your problem someone else's. We all have problems, but we can't tell our bosses or landlord "I'm going through a tough situation. Give me some time". Also, a buyer paying a full price and then feeling, on his own, that it entitles him to bonuses is nonsense. I had that happen to me and in those cases I don't even want to hold the door open for them.
It's just pulling up to the house, loading the unit onto a truck and leaving. No excuses. These people are impulsive buyers that either do not yet have the room for the item, or have not squared it with the wife/parents.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 2:28 pm 

Most will allow 30 days to pick up. Tell him after 30 days storage is $10 per day.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 2:31 pm 

Scott wrote:

5 years? You may not live at same address or even be alive. Good grief.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 2:35 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
It's just pulling up to the house, loading the unit onto a truck and leaving. No excuses.

Not everyone drives a pickup....

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 3:28 pm 

majortom wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
It's just pulling up to the house, loading the unit onto a truck and leaving. No excuses.

Not everyone drives a pickup....

True. Then the question is why would one buy something when they have no ability to pick it up? Again, putting the problem on the seller.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next