Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 6:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tip: Antenna for 1920s Battery Radio (non-superhet)
PostPosted: Jun Thu 25, 2020 6:17 pm 

If you are starting into the typical 5 tube 201A tube 1920s radio side of the hobby you must use a long wire outdoor antenna. I tried a 20 foot wire and can not hear anything. Placing a 150 foot outdoor wire wakes up the radio. I believe the minimum outdoor wire should be 60 feet with 100 feet being better.

Post subject: Re: Tip: Antenna for 1920s Battery Radio (non-superhet)
PostPosted: Jun Thu 25, 2020 7:03 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
If you are starting into the typical 5 tube 201A tube 1920s radio side of the hobby you must use a long wire outdoor antenna. I tried a 20 foot wire and can not hear anything. Placing a 150 foot outdoor wire wakes up the radio. I believe the minimum outdoor wire should be 60 feet with 100 feet being better.

As with so many things, the local quality of reception at a location dictates how much antenna is needed.

Yes, longer is generally better, but in my home, I have had some very good results with 20-25 feet of wire strung out across the floor connected to my 1920's radios. Even my Radiola III will receive with shorter length antennas.

In your location, maybe a longer antenna is the only way to get decent reception.

Like with many things, there are not always absolutes that apply to every radio and all situations.

Last edited by processhead on Aug Sun 16, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 25, 2020 7:17 pm 

processhead wrote:
jimbenedict wrote:

As with so many things, the local quality of reception at a location can dictates how much antenna is needed.

Yes, longer is generally better, but in my home, I have had some very good results with 20-25 feet of wire strung out across the floor connected to my 1920's radios. Even my Radiola III will receive with shorter length antennas.

In your location, maybe a longer antenna is the only way to get decent reception.

Like with many things, there are not always absolutes that apply to every radio and all situations.

I am 70 miles from strong AM radio stations. If I was within 5-10 miles of a powerful station a short 25 wire would likely hear the local stations. The 150 foot antenna I used brings in the powerful (not weak) stations almost as good as my 11 tube superhet 70 miles away. But I want far away stations and 25 feet does not work. and I would not suggest 25 feet for long distance stations at any location.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 16, 2020 1:44 pm 

You can use a short indoor antenna with a ferrite core antenna coil and variable capacitor in series.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 21, 2020 1:28 pm 

Most radios of this vintage need a good ground. Either a cold water pipe or a ground rod.

Dennis

PostPosted: Dec Mon 14, 2020 1:03 am 

Vintage broadcast band xtal set instructions state:
50 to 150 ft antenna as high as possible.
With a 3 ft ground rod as close as possible to the set.
Antenna tuners designed for early A/C sets work good tuning short battery set antennas.
Short indoor antennas should be kept away from walls and ceiling by a minimum of 2 inches. I use 18 inches.
Some battery circuits work OK with a counterpoise ground wire laid on the floor below the antenna.