Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 12, 2021 3:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: When is Ebay dumping PayPal?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 9:59 pm 

For a period of couple of months, I was getting messages from Ebay, telling me that I had to switch to their managed payments system. I never switched and I stopped getting the messages.

After a couple of months of not listing anything there, I listed one BIN item today and someone bought it. The payment went to my PP account like it always has. I think I heard that their contract with PP expires sometime during the Summer; so, I guess they are having to stick with PP until the contract expires.

Post subject: Re: When is Ebay dumping PayPal?
PostPosted: Mar Wed 31, 2021 11:05 pm 

I seen in a message a few months back that all sellers would be "converted" to the eBay Managed Payment system by the end of 2021. They started the transition with larger sellers, and are gradually going to assimilate everyone.
They eventually forced the issue with me last September, in the end offering a $20 credit to make the switch after I ignored their threats for a couple of months and the deadline approached.
The new system lets them extract their fees immediately, and gives them even more control regarding buyer refunds. I also find that I can no longer block off shore buyers as long as they have a US shipping address. Additionally, they tack on a fee for processing those transactions.

- Jim

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 12:51 am 

I received the following today.

Getting paid on eBay has changed.*
eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience, including payments.
This means: You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay. We will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation.
Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted. No more PayPal payments processing fees or separate monthly fee payments!
Most sellers will pay the same or less than before**
Learn more here.
Update your account details by April 25th, or your ability to revise or relisting existing listings, or create new listings will be disabled.

Does this mean that ME Member since: Jun-21-96 is about to be thrown out of Ebay? They only got about $2,000 from me last year in commissions. This year looks like I would surpass those numbers. I guess they don't want me????

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 1:30 am 

Last month I was going to post a Dynaco Pas 3, which I bought for $20 and put in $40 of new J&J tubes and new filament line filter caps, on eBay and eBay told me that I couldn't post it until I set myself with their new system. Instead, I posted it on Craigslist and sold it 2 days later. The buyer come over, payed for it in cash, and took it home. He's really happy with it.

My Craigslist posting: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele ... 72257.html

"IN YOUR FACE EBAY!" :twisted:

But, I realize I can't sell everything on Craigslist and will eventually have to set myself up with eBay's new system at some point. I'll just do it with a new bank account dedicated strictly for eBay purposes only.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Apr Thu 01, 2021 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 1:40 am 

To many idiots out there, I don't want them at my door. I'll stick with Ebay.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 2:00 pm 

Oh gosh. Well I went thru the process to get PP years ago. I will not get another secondary system. I have already quit selling there, if I need to get additional financing complications, I guess I would stop buying there. They are working hard to run people off and be like Amazon. All high volume imported cheap junk sellers. Maybe they need a management awakening or change. I might start to utilize ARF classifieds more often now. I will just miss the bidding process is all. Bid it up! Have to contrive a price that sells but does not short change yourself too badly, a difficult process for many things.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 2:34 pm 

Quote:
I have already quit selling there, if I need to get additional financing complications, I guess I would stop buying there. They are working hard to run people off and be like Amazon.

The transition to the eBay Managed Payments system really only affects sellers.

Buyers are largely unaffected and can still use PayPal or a credit/debit card for payment as before.
Only difference that buyers will notice is that the transaction will show eBay as the payee on your statement, not the seller.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 2:49 pm 

I called Ebay last evening. I told the nice lady that I have been an Ebay member since 1996 and if they don't want me as a SELLER then I will be gone. Yes they can change their rules to get their commission from each sale as it happens and I have no problem with that part. I do have a problem with them telling me where they will or won't send my money from the sale. The lady said I was exempt from this new ruling. So we will see. My selling as per Ebay has resulted in Sales of $45,000 since 1996. So no I am not one of their big time sellers.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 6:39 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
I called Ebay last evening. I told the nice lady that I have been an Ebay member since 1996 and if they don't want me as a SELLER then I will be gone. Yes they can change their rules to get their commission from each sale as it happens and I have no problem with that part. I do have a problem with them telling me where they will or won't send my money from the sale. The lady said I was exempt from this new ruling. So we will see. My selling as per Ebay has resulted in Sales of $45,000 since 1996. So no I am not one of their big time sellers.

John k9uwa

I just looked up my sales as I also have not made any changes away from PayPal.

Been selling since 1996. Total sales have been $118,297.71

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 7:47 pm 

Still you got to go into the advanced search to filter out the 20 million China sourced sales if you don't want to wait 3 months for your stuff. However I recently got something from a Chinese seller that stated the item was in New Jersey. It took a long time and the package said it was shipped from California. Before that who knows. So even the filters sometimes fail.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 8:02 pm 

This about sums it up for eBay sellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

- Jim

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 10:43 pm 

k9uwa wrote:

John k9uwa

John, am curious, did they say why you're exempt? I too have been selling on eBay since 2000, and have not been forced into the Managed Payments (yet). My sales for all those years is roughly $40K.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 10:59 pm 

Charlie Hubba wrote:
k9uwa wrote:

John k9uwa

John, am curious, did they say why you're exempt? I too have been selling on eBay since 2000, and have not been forced into the Managed Payments (yet). My sales for all those years is roughly $40K.

I've been selling on The Bay since 1998, and am also curious as to why John is exempt.

Also, how do you determine total sales for your tenure there?

PostPosted: Apr Thu 01, 2021 11:43 pm 

Your eBay lifetime sales total is at the very bottom of your seller dashboard.

- Jim

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 12:50 am 

Fifties and I are real close as to length of being ebay members.

Exempt because the nice lady said so... I'll believe it if after April 25th I can still list and sell etc. Member since June 1998 maybe she is correct?? In the past there have been some changes that were forced onto newer ebay members where us old guys were exempt.

JimTech got the other one Sellers Dashboard at bottom.

Art has me beat by nearly triple.

Question from me did anyone else get the Email that I received that said as of April 25th I would no longer be able to list or modify any auctions? I received the email and when I went to My Messages on Ebay it was there.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 2:41 am 

I have been using eBay Managed Payments since late January for selling and have zero complaints so far. It doesn't appear to cost any more than PP, and it has eliminated a third party service that I no longer have to deal with. I really like the automatic transfers to my bank account. Just curious, what is all of the uproar about?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 5:19 am 

jimtech wrote:
Your eBay lifetime sales total is at the very bottom of your seller dashboard.

- Jim

Thx. 12 grand in sales; just a piker here, LOL, although I do have a second account there as well.

k9uwa wrote:
Fifties and I are real close as to length of being ebay members.
Member since June 1998

Youngster. May 3, 1998 here. :wink:

k9uwa wrote:
Question from me did anyone else get the Email that I received that said as of April 25th I would no longer be able to list or modify any auctions?

Yeah, I got one dated December 31, stating "Update your account details by January 22, 2021 to continue creating new listings."

I don't really care, it is what it is, and I just roll with the flow (like a dead fish, LOL).

Jeremy S wrote:
I really like the automatic transfers to my bank account. Just curious, what is all of the uproar about?

A bunch of grumpy old men, shaking their fists at the clouds... :wink:

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 3:05 pm 

Ive been on the new payment system since summer. Parts of it I like are:
1. I like having my fee's taken before i get the money so there are no huge monthly bills. That and #4 are the main things I like.
2. The commission is a little less than before although Im sure that will change.
3. If someone backs out of a sale and you have to do a full refund you wont pay any fee's on the sale. (partial refunds you still do). PP your out the fee's.
4. The time to return stuff I am still a little vague with but I think its the time you allow returns unless its a SNAD, then its 60 days. No 6 month return time if I understand it correctly, like before with paypal. Its possible I have some of that wrong. I get very few returns.

What I dont like:
1. Waiting for money. It can take a couple banking days for them to send the money to my account and then it takes 2 more banking days for it to clear.
2. Fedex surprise fees. I call it a surprise as the billing can be quick or can take 2 months and then there it is. Anything I ship thru them is $20+ and I just wish it could be paid for right then, so I guess I will cure that problem by buying the labels thru fedex online directly. Its an added hassle but for me will be worth it. That also helps if fedex changes the billing amount, Ive been told. I do not ship UPS so have no idea about that.

I ship 600-800 items a year and just thru USPS or Fedex home delivery. Anything that needs to be picked up I use FB marketplace and have given up on ebay for that option.

Im really not any more scared of ebay handling my money than paypal. Their both greedy.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 5:09 pm 

I too have been on managed payments since October 2020, and I have not seen much of a downside.

I've saved a bit of money on fees and also on the fact that eBay does not take their fee out of sales tax they are collecting (paypal applied their fee to the tax too).

I set mine up so they deposit the total to my bank once per week. There were a couple of quirky things I had to figure out, but there are some aspects of their transaction screen that made my life easier.

I opened up a 2nd checking account to track the eBay deposits separately, and so far, everything has been fine.

Jim Cross

PostPosted: Apr Tue 06, 2021 4:03 pm 

oldmannewtrick wrote:
Im really not any more scared of ebay handling my money than paypal. Their both greedy.

Paypal is still owned by ebay, and I thought will remain so? The worst is ebay charging fees on shipping.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next