Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 09, 2021 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparks inside Magic Eye tubes
PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 7:21 am 

It has happened now few times so I want to ask if this is business as usual.
I use mostly Russian NOS Magic Eye tubes (affordable & abundant in Finland). When I take a new tube in use, and power it for the first time everything goes as planned. However, it has occured few times that after warming up I've seen few sparks flying inside the tube. After this everything works fine and I've not had any issues (or sparks) with the tubes so far afterwards.
Maybe the manufacturer skipped some break-in step in the manufacturing process? Never seen this happen in Telefunken, Philips, Haltron etc.

Very late Russian batches have known quality control issues, for example poor durability and sometimes the fan pattern is slightly wonky.

Post subject: Re: Sparks inside Magic Eye tubes
PostPosted: Apr Sat 10, 2021 2:08 am 

It's funny after reading this is because the 6E5 on our old tape recorder, I know used to do that once in awhile while it was warming up. I also noticed you would hear little glitches of static while it was doing it. Once it was fully going, No issues. I haven't seen it do it in recent years and it's still doing well. I can only guess a particle is in the path of the light coating and causing it to arc when the voltage gets high to light the shield. It shouldn't be an issue.

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 11, 2021 8:29 am 

hardluck54 wrote:
I can only guess a particle is in the path of the light coating and causing it to arc when the voltage gets high to light the shield. It shouldn't be an issue.

It could be also some residual gas inside the tube from the phosphor coating or something similar. Anyway as you said it does not really affect functionality, just a curious phenomenon.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 11, 2021 3:22 pm 

I think if it was gas, it would not go away because the gas would stay inside. My 6E5 hasn't shown that symptom for years, and it was already old when it started. My guess is ,like florescent lights, particles fall off electrodes and get hung up, until they are burned or dislodged. In your case, its probably particles still in tube when it was new. The 6E5 in the recorder I have is mounted at a 45 degree angle. If it happens again, you might try tapping the tube a little with your finger to see if you can dislodge it. But if you don't get any static in the speakers like I did, you will be fine.!

John

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 9:59 am 

hardluck54 wrote:
I think if it was gas, it would not go away because the gas would stay inside. My 6E5 hasn't shown that symptom for years, and it was already old when it started. My guess is ,like florescent lights, particles fall off electrodes and get hung up, until they are burned or dislodged.

Makes sense, you're probably right.