Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 25, 2021 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue.
PostPosted: Jan Tue 19, 2021 8:51 pm 

Would a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue amp be powerful enough to play in a small club? It's rated at 22 watts and uses two 6V6 output tubes. I'm hearing conflicting stories about it being ok in a small club but it's only 22 watts. Anyone have any knowledge of this amps capabilities?

Post subject: Re: Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue.
PostPosted: Jan Tue 19, 2021 11:49 pm 

You're asking a hypothetical question. "Powerful enough," "small club," clean, distorted, etc. You'll have to play it to decide. Some players use attenuators with them and some bands/clubs demand high stage volume. That amp is "loud."

PostPosted: Jan Wed 20, 2021 9:30 pm 

If the club has a PA system, you make sure there is a mike available for the amp. Then you can turn the amp to whatever level and let the main board match your instrument to the vocals.
Just make sure all extension cords are polarized with hot and neutral the same as your amp.

No PA? That's a patio party. Your amp is plenty loud for that, but beware of the big guy on the drum kit. :D
Actually, it will be loud enough for a Community Center unless the crowd is yelling.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 21, 2021 12:01 am 

I decided to get the amp I really wanted and ordered the Fender Twin Reverb. There is only about a $250 difference between the two, and you get so much more amp for that money. The only downside is the 65 pound weight of the Twin. For now, I don't plan on moving it much, so once it's in place, that won't matter. They're both nice amps but they priced them so close.

I want to mention that I called about 8:00 pm central time, and got a very knowledgeable customer service rep. This guy was a musician, service tech, and owns a few tube amps. I wish all customer reps were this good. I got a lot of info including bias set up procedures so that if I decide to install a quad of my NOS USA 6L6GC tubes, I'll be able to get the bias right.

The Twin was back in stock, and the transaction went quickly. Looking forward to it's arrival!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2021 1:56 am 

I gave my brother a Fender 100W amp and a half stack. He gave it to his son, because he could not keep it turned down enough or something. He kept the Champ I fixed up. Small room. I did an emergency repair on a Fender that might have been the same as yours or similar for a co worker one time. He needed it same day for a gig. Not sure what the power was, but it used the little tubes like 6BQ5 in the output and it was enough for his needs on stage but it was country music, not rock.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 6:22 pm 

I bet that twin reverb can make your ears bleed. I seen Popa Chubby in a small club in South Bend Indiana a few years back and that's all he had and it was really loud. He is an amazing guitar player as well. Was a great concert.

A few years ago I built a Clone Fender 57 deluxe 5E3 from a Zenith floor console (that used a pair of 6L6) transformer and a homemade eyelet board and home bend chassis. I did buy an output transformer that would handle the 6L6, but I only use 6V6 in it as it's just to loud for the basement otherwise. I have dragged it out to the garage and really cranked it up a few times, but even that is crazy loud. I can't imagine how that twin rocks, 4 - 6L6 WOW! Enjoy!

eta oh I didn't notice this was an old thread, how do you like the new amp?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 4:01 pm 

It's a really nice amp. I'm not a performer, just mess with this for myself. Really, I just wanted to have an amp like this and don't need the power. But it's very well made, and I don't think there is an amp out there that can provide the value that this one does. Right after my amp arrived, the price went up to $1700. Just beat the increase. One odd thing I notice is that there is a flash in the 6L6's when you go from standby to on. Seems like this is common. I have some NOS GE 6LGC tubes that I want to install one of these days. Same for the smaller tubes. I love it that this amp has no computerization in it. Nothing to become obsolete. And from what I understand, this is the same amp as they were back in the day with the exception of using a circuit board instead of point to point wiring. The tube sockets are not board mounted, which is good. Build quality is excellent. For practice and short play sessions, I use a Fender Champion 100, which is solid state. That is also a great amp for the price. I expect that one to go up in price soon too. Looks like the tube Twin Reverb but totally different amp.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 5:29 pm 

Frank, does the standby switch just remove the plate and screen voltages or does it affect the heaters? Do all of the 6L6's "flash" when you switch from standby to on, after the heaters have come up to temperature?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 6:16 pm 

I don't have a schematic for this reissue, and need to find service info for it just to have it for reference. The heaters do not shut off with the standby switch, so I am assuming it's the plate and or screen voltage that is switched. I always let the tubes warm up before going from standby to on. I did read about this on the web that it happens a lot, and may be normal. These are Groove Tubes in there now. Maybe once I switch to NOS GE's that may not happen, but won't know until that change occurs, and I'm not in a rush to do that just yet.

Yes, all four 6L6GC tubes seem to flash a quick white color.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 6:56 pm 

Frank, please keep us posted on this. I'm not sure why it might be normal to see a white flash inside all of the power tubes when moving from standby to on. Here are a couple of links...is the first one your amp?

http://ampwares.com/schematics/65_twin_reverb_@20manual.pdf

http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/twin_reverb_ab763.pdf

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 7:35 pm 

Thank you for these manuals! I appreciate it! Will keep posted about the flash and update when I change out the tubes for NOS.

(Yes, mine is the reissue Fender Twin Reverb).

PostPosted: Apr Mon 12, 2021 10:30 pm 

In Standby, the unloaded B+ voltage is a lot higher than when the amp is operating. The flash-over you're seeing is due to the much higher instantaneous B+ applied to the tubes when you take it out of Standby...

This applies to all kinds of tube gear, not just amps...If at all practical, turn the amp or other tube devices off whenever you can. You'll thank yourself, and so will your amp, in the long run...!!!

73...Jordan...

PostPosted: Apr Mon 12, 2021 11:05 pm 

Jordan, should I just leave the standby switch to 'on', and simply turn the amp on and off?
How long could it just idle - no signal in - without creating any problems?

I follow what you are saying with the built up voltage. I thought about that too, and it just makes sense. And these come with new production tubes which no matter what, are not exactly like the GE 6L6 GC tubes that they came with back in the 1960's.

I read some interesting stuff about Leo Fender, and how things were done back then. He wanted to build a good product at a price that was competitive. Pretty much used plans in tube manuals over the years. And of course things evolved over time. Pretty practical guy.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 12:00 pm 

Regarding the operation of your amplifier, it's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions. The standby switch is there for a reason.

As mentioned earlier, it's likely not normal to see a flash inside the power tubes when moving from standby to on. If what you're seeing is arcing (or its precursor) inside the envelope, the vacuum in all four tubes may be insufficient. A good power tube, whether it's considered new or old, will be able to withstand B+ much greater than your amp's power supply can produce in either loaded or unloaded condition. There should be no "flash-over" inside the power tubes, if that is what you're seeing.

Have you called Fender to discuss what you're seeing?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 5:19 pm 

I haven't called Fender about this, but might just do that to be sure. I have read about this happening to this model amp, so mine isn't the only one that does that. I don't know. Maybe a call or email to Fender is in order just to be sure.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 5:34 pm 

Just spoke with Fender tech support, and this is common, and not considered a problem with Fender. So, that puts that to rest! Now I can worry about 12 bar blues and pentatonic scale practice!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 9:15 pm 

Fender amps traditionally worked output tubes hard, so it figures he would say that's common. And it's not him buying the tubes. :x

I would do what you suggested, not use the standby a whole lot, and shut the amp off more often.
Then you are starting from cold each time, but no flash.
Maybe I'd look into installing a thermistor or current limiter in a power bar, so as not to void the warranty.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 13, 2021 10:47 pm 

I re-iterate what WestCoastJohn posted...~!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 14, 2021 12:01 am 

Yes, that definitely makes sense, and I want this amp to last. In the future, I think I'm going to install the NOS GE 6L6GC tubes I have. I'll need to re-bias this when I do that, and that should not be that hard to do. I believe there is a bias control that you can access with the amp in the chassis. But that's something to do at a later date. Thanks guys for helping with this!

PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 6:07 am 

I used a Marshall 50 watt combo for years. Always used standby. Amp still works, three decades later. Not aware of flash, though. So with a Fender amp, not sure what I'd do.

My Fender is solid state, 20 watts.... doesn't have such issues. :-)

Either way, enjoy playing the clubs.