Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 21, 2021 11:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Identify this late '50's TV (My family's 1st)
PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 5:47 am 

Thanks Madlabs---did view that thread, but have searched everything I could find on Trav-Ler TV's and couldn't find this model. They did have one from '56 (I think) that was similar in appearance, but not it...

Haven't heard anything back yet from Steve McCoy and still hope that he'll respond...

Found the original slides of Mom & Dad's this evening and re-scanned them at the highest resolution---not much help...

John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 6:58 pm 

I got a response from my repairman who's a long time TV repairman/seller. It's not much help though:
TOUGH ONE LOOKS LIKE OLYMPIC BUT OLYMPIC HAS THE BRASS ESCUTCHEO TAPERED TOWARDS THE BOTTOM..IT COULD BE A STORE BRAND LIKE HYDE PARK .NOT A MAJOR BRAND..EVEN POSSIBLY TRAVLER...ID SEACH THE OFF BRANDERS..INCLUDING SVERTONE AND METEOR..SEARCH THE SAMS PHOTOFACTS 57-58.MAYBE 59 TOO AS SOMETIMES THE SCHEMATIC COMES OUT A YEAR LATER..IM SURE IT WOULD BE IN SAMS..HOPEFULLY THE SAME CABINET
As far as Steve McCoy, I'm sure he gets a lot of request for info, so no answer might mean he has no info.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 15, 2021 7:45 pm 

Thanks Joe---did look at all brands that I could find on-line for the '50's as well as couple of the ones he mentioned that I didn't see. Also, since Dad bought the TV in Kokomo, IN when they bought house in '58, looked through a '59 Kokomo phone-book I had to see all brands & models mentioned and there was nothing I hadn't previously searched.

I have a SAMS index by company, is there one which lists by product such as television ? Any site which shows the SAMS cover pics ? Have searched through Ebay SAMS listings also with no success.

Might contact Steve again and just ask for a yes or no answer since it can't be known if message made it through...

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 12:47 am 

If you have the time and the library is open you could possibly browse 1958 local newspapers on microfilm for TV ads. There should be a lot from October through December for Christmas. I took a look through my 1958 Sams and nothing jumped out as your set. Hoffman was the closest but not close enough and they were west coast anyway,

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 12:56 am 

The models on the cover of a SAMS file is only one cabinet style that used the same chassis.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 1:20 am 

True but the knob layout will be the same.

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 2:39 am 

Thanks Tim & Tim.

Local library has ability to view newspaper archive on-line and did search '58 & '59. Appears that the ads sections aren't scanned, though, for Kokomo. May search a broader area of papers to see if perhaps their ads are available.

Even though purchased in later '58, Dad said it could have been a '59 model---and he said it was one he could afford at the time as this was their first home and all furniture and most appliances were bought new which means it could have been a less-expensive "entry level" 21-incher (that looked nice)...

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 3:44 am 

If it's an entry level brand, you can rule out the big names and focus on the ones known to build inexpensive sets sold by discount stores or department stores.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 16, 2021 8:08 pm 

Heard back from Steve today and he wasn't able to identify it either...

Dennis---is there a list available of these "off or store-brand" sets ? Know a few like Coronado, Airline, etc...

Am sure surprised on how difficult this has become ! Many, many hours of research so far without success and have asked just about every TV guy and group I know of...

At least I have a relatively good picture. Remember from childhood it wasn't a very reliable set, so very possible none or extremely few have survived...

Still have hope that someone who hasn't seen this thread yet who will recognize it !

Thanks once again.
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2