Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 10:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Triplett 630-NA Repair Service
PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 4:04 pm 

I had a nice clean 630-NA on the shelf and decided to check it out.
I wanted a 20K type VOM for Boatanchor repair.

Well, the meter swings up to about 85% full scale and sticks. I looked
at the movement under high light and 10X Magnification, but see
nothing wrong.

Any meter repair services out there ? I found a couple of commercial
houses but their prices give me fibrillation !!

Tnx, Dick, W1KSZ

Post subject: Re: Triplett 630-NA Repair Service
PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 5:30 pm 

Try a static treatment first.... just wipe a damp paper towel on the face cover of the meter and see if that helps

If so wipe it with an anti static dryer sheet If it’s truly sticking mechanically, several threads here on ARF address that

Yup any commercial repair company will charge way more than it’s worth

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 5:34 pm 

I removed the plastic front cover to look at the inner
workings of the meter.

Still sticks, even without it.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

PostPosted: Apr Mon 19, 2021 4:22 pm 

Don't give up!!....there's possibly just some "crud" (any type of dirt, large dust, specks of small/loose corrosion, or small metal filings) stuck or hiding out somewhere between the moving armature coil and the field magnet surface. On a clean work bench (no loose dust or metal filings or stiff air breezes), after removing the clear plastic window, carefully insert a thin, long sliver; I use pieces of masking tape, cut about one inch long, 1/8" to 1/4" wide as required for the job, then I usually fold it lengthwise and hard crease it with the adhesive surface on the outside, to make a fairly sturdy, thin sliver; then hold its widest end with a non-magnetic tweezer or forcep/hemostat (made of stainless steel or plastic). Then carefully insert the sliver into every possible place you can, and also rotate the needle/armature manually to gain access to every place in the gap with the cleanout sliver. Be sure to not force or damage the movement's fragile coil springs or taut-band-suspension tiny metal spring/ribbon. Be extra careful to not jab/damage the springs that are at the bottom of the movement, which is hard to see, but you can gauge and feel where the tape/sliver is. In rare cases, if the movement is the older style having the jewel-pivot with coiled springs; sometimes the sticking is caused by a bit of dirt that might lodge in one of the jewel bearings, or the glass/sapphire jewel-bearing cup (there's two of these, one on top and one on the bottom) might be pressing a bit too hard on the armature's needle bearing surface, preventing full movement/swing of the needle; you should be able to see the armature wobble just a tiny bit in the sapphire cup if you gently nudge it. You can loosen it by using a small spanner type wrench and loosen a bit the top, small jam/thin nut that holds the bearing & zeroing fork in place; then with a small jeweler's-type screwdriver loosen (ccw) the bearing maybe 1/8 turn, then retighten the nut. Sometimes, it's a case where the bearing setting is too loose; then tighten it about 1/8 turn and try it. With the older style pivot-jewel movements, also visually check the two coiled springs, that they are not tangled or touching anything they shouldn't be, which will cause all sorts of problems. In a case like what you've described, the cause is usually static electricity (described by others), or crud in the gap. Also make sure the top/tip of the long needle is far enough away from the number scale to not rub at all on it anywhere in the arc travel of needle. If a tester had been dropped even just once, strange things can happen to these movements. If necessary, you should be able to remove the printed number scale to do this.....but usually doing that isn't necessary just to clean the gap. If you check ARF archives; others have also described their methods of doing this repair.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 20, 2021 12:06 am 

Good day. Definitely don't give up. If you can find any way to get extra magnification such as a magnifying glass or jewelers loop get it. Some of those metal fragments that get in there can be so stinking small they're almost impossible to see. I hit a Simpson 260 given to me by a good friend and he thought everything was okay with it but similar to yours the meter would stick at about 75 80% of travel. With the cover off watch the meter movement and see where it sticks. You will eventually see what's hanging it up. I had to look at mine several times and I have reasonably good eyes. A very thin piece of tape can be used to slide down between the magnet and the side of the movement to get the offending particle. If that doesn't work the tiniest pair of tweezers you can find can be used to pull it out. That's what I ended up doing in my case as it was just to tenacious for the tape.

I like the 6:30 and I have one in my collection currently. Unfortunately the case has cracked around the edge and the piece is gone. I contacted triplet to see if I could buy a back. I was told I could not as they do not sell spare parts now since the production of the 630 has been sent to China. Now if you look on Amazon or any reseller the price of that 630 is still around 400 bucks. There's no way I'm going to pay that for a made in China triplet. An absolute abomination. I'm keeping an eye out for a junker with a good back. eBay is not such a good place as after careful examination almost everyone that's come up for sale has been cracked in some way.

Good luck on your repair when working properly that's a heck of a meter. Just remember if you use the ohms function do not use it to check transistors or diodes. On the high ohm scale it applies too much voltage and can damage the semiconductor. I have a well used but accurate Simpson 260xplm for that purpose. It uses a low voltage for the ohms reading. It is the only Simpson 260 that is solid state friendly.

Randy Ra

PostPosted: Apr Tue 20, 2021 4:33 pm 

I have gone through the meter with bright lights, magnifying glass and even a few
blasts with compressed air. Still sticks.

Back on the shelf it goes. Maybe I'll find a donor 630 and do a transplant.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

PostPosted: Apr Tue 20, 2021 5:12 pm 

As a last resort you could try immersing the entire meter movement in isopropyl alcohol and swish it around gently. This is a LAST resort.....as it may kill it anyway. But sounds like you have nothing to lose at this point.

Also two other things to check … make certain the needle is not bent, and try loosening up the pivot bearings. There are instructions on that in other threads on the forum. Its delicate work but can be done.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 21, 2021 4:58 pm 

AB9GO, Randy Ra, please read your PM messages. Thanks, Fred

PostPosted: Apr Wed 21, 2021 10:48 pm 

I have a Triplett 630A that's been following me around for a long time. Battery terminals corroded so no resistance. I checked with the variac and smooth meter movement through the range. Your welcome to it for shipping if you think the movement will work in yours. The case looks new so I never had the heart to put it in the trash.

Cheap sucker Freeman

PostPosted: Apr Thu 22, 2021 1:31 am 

That sounds good to me. Can you contact me directly ? e-Mail address
on QRZ.com is good.

Tnx, Dick, W1KSZ

PostPosted: Apr Thu 22, 2021 1:50 pm 

PM sent

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:31 am 

Several years ago I found a 630-PL in a company dumpster. It (the meter, not the dumpster) was backless and had a couple blown resisters--obviously a tech opened it, saw the charcoal, then immediately tossed it and ordered a new one at company expense. Enthralled, I took it home, sourced the resistors and repaired it. Now I have an analog gem in perfect working order...except it has no back. Like Randy Ra ((AB9GO) I don't see a source for a new back anywhere. Life's like that sometimes, eh?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 9:55 pm 

Interesting that you mentioned this; because back then I had PM'd to Randy that I have a few good replacement TTT-630-series case "backs"; but Randy never even read or replied to my PM message to him....apparently he never again logged into ARF to read anything about his original post. Charc-bait, I just PM'd to you some info. Fred

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 8:23 pm 

Thanks Fred, and I've PM'd you back to take you up on your offer. I'll be relieved to have a hardshell back to protect my 630-PL.
If anyone's interested, there's a label inside (not printed on the face) indicating it's a Type 2, and has a rubber stamp mark of "3381", as near as I can make out.
Chuck