Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 01, 2021 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What test equipment is available to service hi def TVs
PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 1:44 pm 

Are there any readily available testers for hi def flat screen TVs? I know a lot of issues with old analog TVs like deflection and convergence are no longer relevant but are there signal analyzers or tracers available?

Dennis

Post subject: Re: What test equipment is available to service hi def TVs
PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 2:03 pm 

I don't know what you'd need to test in there. Mostly, they are a collection of specialized IC's and power supplies, with a few discrete components sprinkled about. A good DMM and an off-air signal should be about all you could use to service one.

Some of the higher end sets have built in diagnostics, test patterns, and even some setup procedures, but those are crazy expensive sets. Good luck even finding schematics and service information for these things.

What make/model are you working on ? The very few I've tried to fix only needed new caps in the switching power supplies, and it was evident by bulging of the old caps. Not very robust designs, for the most part.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 2:30 pm 

Dennis Banker wrote:
Are there any readily available testers for hi def flat screen TVs? I know a lot of issues with old analog TVs like deflection and convergence are no longer relevant but are there signal analyzers or tracers available?

Dennis

An HDMI signal generator/analyzer is useful for providing test patterns and troubleshooting signal compatibility issues (HDCP) with video sources.

Here's an example:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... aa65ed8eae

Aside from that, a laptop computer for firmware re-flashing/updates and standard test equipment such as an oscilloscope, DMM are really about all that's needed.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 2:38 pm 

Forgot to mention a high voltage, current limited power supply for testing LED backlights.
Here's an example in eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194021556710?h ... SwQb5gbWfi

- Jim

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 2:42 pm 

I was so hoping to scare you off with the VLSI warning lol. I doubt a single screen is worth the investment in test gear ...

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 6:18 pm 

On most LCD TVs about the only things you might be able to replace on your own are capacitors. An ESR meter comes in handy along with a DMM and surface mount soldering tools.

Beyond that you’ll need the service manual for the particular set you are working on. It will give you the diagnostic routines to identify the defective module or board which you’d then replace.

Before investing in a manual and modules you may want to check the prices of new TVs first. If the set shuts down immediately upon powering up, there is a possibility the LCD screen itself shorted out. This is usually a show stopper!

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 12:29 am 

Thanks guys. I was just thinking. I don’t have a particular TV with problems. Just wondering what would be available. I guess like most things-not designed to be repairable.

Dennis

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 2:26 am 

I'd argue that it's not tv sets are made to not be repairable, but simply made for easy asembly.

There's hardly anything in an LCD set. Not so many parts, and board or boards easy to remove. The monitors I've opened had two small boards, very easy to unplug and unscrew. Nothing like portable tv sets of fifty years ago, having to remove so much to get to the underside of the board.

I found a decent monitor, seemed to work, but then reset if left on. I just changed theelectrolytics in the power supply, so easy to get access. Not much more I could do, but it worked, and was easy.

I certainly had no problem finding LCD monitors, all but one worked. I don't see as many tv sets, butthey are there.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 8:57 pm 

I thought you needed soldering tools and a box of capacitors. I was given the impression on forums that if it is anything beyond the bad Chinese caps in the PS, it is not worth the effort. Just wait till next weeks trash pickup and grab another. :lol:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 10:32 pm 

A sledge hammer... :lol:

Seriously though, I would get an ESR meter, multimeter, VTVM, SMD soldeing iron, SMD soldering skills, an oscilloscope, and something to test the chips.