Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathkit AJ-41 Unbuilt Kit
PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 11:25 pm 

Looking for some advice from the guru's. I have a picker friend of mine that brings me stuff to check out every now and then and a few months back he scored an unbuilt AJ-41 heathkit. It looks complete and he is asking me to help him price it for sale and this is a little out of my league. Any thoughts? He also scored a built matching AA-11 that is in really nice condition. Some folks just get lucky.

Post subject: Re: Heathkit AJ-41 Unbuilt Kit
PostPosted: Jun Mon 07, 2021 11:44 pm 

It looks complete.

What... you opened the sealed box. lol

List it as an auction with a low starting price and it will find its market value. At a guess, probably a couple of hundred... or more - - - who knows... :)
The only way to get crazy money, is for two or more bidders to want it bad. more lol

Put a reserve on it if you are the nervous type.
Auctions that do well have lots of good photos and a brief, honest description.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 1:12 am 

Oh no box on this one, just a bunch of parts. Some of the parts are in smaller boxes. Looking on ebay there seems to be a want for this type of thing.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 1:48 am 

I would say that unbuilt Heathkits will reach their market value on ebay regardless of starting price. So start at what he has in it if you are concerned and he can lose nothing. But the quality of the listing is also a factor. Good description and photos. If they have been opened, a prospective buyer needs to feel confident he is getting a virgin kit with nothing missing. Then you will lose something in the fees and such but there is no other venue other than ebay with the exposure to get it sold for max in a timely fashion. Although I have discontinued selling on there myself.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:10 am 

Tdlunsfo wrote:
Oh no box on this one, just a bunch of parts. Some of the parts are in smaller boxes. Looking on ebay there seems to be a want for this type of thing.

That would be an alarm bell for many buyers.... "just a bunch of parts" can mean almost anything. Maybe some critical parts are missing. Maybe someone added some parts from some other kit. Who knows. Is the assembly manual there and in good condition? If so, it includes a complete parts list usually with pictures. Compare what you have, to what is supposed to be there.

You never really know on Ebay... there seem to be an awful lot of silly people with more money than brains, and willing to spend it on the off chance that they can ... what...... make a few bux flipping something? Getting some non working thing to work? who knows.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:28 am 

I plan to look at the parts list tomorrow and compare, but looking at whats here, it looks pretty complete minus the manual but I just found a photocopy of that on the web. This thing is neat. If it was mine I'd totally build this thing and hook it up to that AA-11.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 2:30 am 

~70 page assembly manual...
https://www.vintageshifi.com/repertoire ... ematic.pdf

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/heath_am_ ... 1_aj4.html

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 6:05 pm 

I went through the parts list and it's 90% there. Of the items missing: hookup wire, shielded cable, line cord, its all easily replaceable except for one big issue.. the unit is missing it's FM tuning cap. That's a problem.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 8:17 pm 

You could also try Reverb.com for the kit, if you don't want ebay stealing ALL of your friend's profits after shipping fees figured in.
More and more non-musical items are being listed on reverb all the time...
Best of luck, it still should get a lot of offers despite the missing tuning cap.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 08, 2021 10:42 pm 

Unbuilt Heathkits (especially audio gear from the tube era) are highly valued and fetch high prices on eBay. A fully complete untouched and unopened AJ-41 kit would very likely reach the $ 450 - 600

BUT, you must consider the following:

- You don't have the original box/packing materials.
- Kit is incomplete and some essential parts (like the FM tuning cap) are missing.
- No original manual

All the above will be a big deterrent to a potential buyer. People who pay high prices for unbuilt Heathkits are mostly collectors who actually have no intentions building the kit, which must be fully complete and original. (don't ask me how I know).

You should (a least) try to find the missing tuning capacitor. It was very likely a generic part used by Heathkit in some other of their tuners which you can get cheap (assembled, of course) to part it out for the cap.

In the condition as described, I don't think your kit will sell over $200 (already a considerable sum) but we never know... maybe there's is someone somewhere with another incomplete unbuilt AJ-41 which could be very interested.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 12:49 am 

All great advice. As you suggested, the rest of the day has been spent looking for a similar circuit trying to determine what the variable capacitance range is or possibly another kit that uses the same part but haven't had any luck yet. I will give it the ol' college try.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 4:53 am 

I think it's sound advice to look for that FM tuning cap either by itself (unlikely) or in a chassis that you can pick up cheaply. Give it time and it'll likely show up. The resultant value of the then complete kit should well make up for the time lost.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 2:20 pm 

I have a Heathkit AJ-41 sitting under the bench and it has been my intent to part it out. It has most if not all components (including the FM tuning capacitor); I just have too much "stuff". Send me a PM and I can get it to you and NO, I am not looking for a profit. I just hate to see a kit missing a part. "Been there; Done that".

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 2:31 pm 

Awesome! PM sent. This is why this forum is so great.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 09, 2021 5:45 pm 

Great ! now your kit will be complete.
And if you want it to be really original there is currently an AJ-41 manual for sale @ $ 12.99 on eBay.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 14, 2021 2:43 pm 

Great ! now your kit will be complete.

The OP and his friend are selling this unbuilt kit - - - not a collector building.

Tdlunsfo wrote: It looks complete and he is asking me to help him price it for sale and this is a little out of my league.
...If it was mine I'd totally build this thing and hook it up to that AA-11

Greg.