Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 28, 2021 1:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrohome solid state circa 75
PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 12:32 pm 

I have a Electrohome solid state circa 75 stereo that my parents purchased brand new over 50 years ago. It is in excellent condition and I’m wondering what it might be worth? They are moving and want to downsize. This is the one item my Dad wishes he didn’t have to part with... but it’s so large. Any idea if there is a market for these? Or even where to start? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Electrohome solid state circa 75
PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 1:54 pm 

Kimbermc wrote:
This is the one item my Dad wishes he didn’t have to part with... but it’s so large. Any idea if there is a market for these? Or even where to start? Thanks in advance.
First, welcome to the forums.

Sadly, the one reason there is actually almost no market for those large stereo cabinets is the same one that is causing your Dad to have to part with it; size. People don't generally "collect" them like they do the radios of the late '30s or '40's, and there are not too many options. You might try Craigslist or if all else fails a "give away" to Goodwill. I know this is not going to be pleasant news for your Dad or you. I had to clear out may parent's home a few years back and it's not easy.

I sincerely hope you might find someone to take it and enjoy it, but the options are indeed pretty limited.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Jun Wed 23, 2021 6:39 pm 

It's true that the current market value of this set is close to zero, but instead of trashing it or giving it away why not try to find a place for it in your house and giving it a second life... It's a family piece after all and maybe (like many collectors) in 20 years you'll be desesperately searching for the Hi-Fi set of your youth, without much chance finding another one.
If it was me I would try to keep and preserve it, and if the current value is very low it can only go up with time...

PostPosted: Jul Sat 03, 2021 4:21 am 

Can you post a picture and a rough location, and is it in Canada?
If keeping it is not an option, in a big city, it could be donated to a charity and they can sell it as part of a fund raiser maybe. That way your folks feel better about it.
You need a customer with a large home and a vinyl collection, and they are out there and will pay several hundred for the right look, not so much if it is a poofy design. Has to be Danish Modern.

Too bad it's not the coffee table model, you'd have said so if it is.